Claimed off Waivers: [ARI] Coyotes claim Eric Comrie from Jets

han316

Feb 6, 2013
He played 5 games with the Jets and had good AHL numbers. I'll take your word for it since you've seen him more than I did but this seems like an awfully small sample size to draw a conclusion from.

True, but he was all sorts of bad during those games. I was surprised he got a contact from the Jets this year but he's been serviceable in the A and i expect he will be back with the Jets sooner than later.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
He played 5 games with the Jets and had good AHL numbers. I'll take your word for it since you've seen him more than I did but this seems like an awfully small sample size to draw a conclusion from.

He was so very clearly not an NHL goalie.

He looked scared

Reactions: hn777

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
He was so very clearly not an NHL goalie.

He looked scared

Brossoit looked scared in a bigger sample size with Edmonton and he turned out pretty decent in Winnipeg.

I just don't know how you can determine that a goalie is a bust after 5 NHL games spread out over 3 years while putting up good numbers in the AHL.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Brossoit looked scared in a bigger sample size with Edmonton and he turned out pretty decent in Winnipeg.

I just don't know how you can determine that a goalie is a bust after 5 NHL games spread out over 3 years while putting up good numbers in the AHL.

I have nothing against him, but he was just a deer in the headlights.

Good luck to him in Arizona

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Is Arizona up against the cap? Internal budget? Because it seems like Casey DeSmith was a much better option if they needed a goalie
He also has 1 more year at 500k more. Raanta/Kuemper is their duo so whoever they claimed will go back on waivers when Raanta gets healthy, which mean they want a cheap bench warmer backup. Maybe the Jets claim Comrie back at that point for the AHL which would free the contract spot again.

Reactions: hn777 and qqaz

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Comrie seems like a good kid but he doesn't have much in the way of NHL potential. Here's what is concerning to me with him.

15-16 (GP, GAA, SVP)
Comrie (46, 3.12, .907), Hellebuyck (30, 2.49, .922)
16-17
Comrie (51, 2.96, .906), Pavelec (18, 2.78, .917)
17-18
Comrie (34, 2.58, .916), Hutchinson (26, 2.08, .935)
18-19
Comrie (47, 2.69, .917), Berdin (23, 2.34, .927)

Doesn't matter if his running mate is a fellow prospect (Hellebuyck, Berdin), a failed NHL goalie (Pavelec), or a career journeyman mostly AHLer (Hutchinson) he has been outplayed every single season of his career. I wouldn't put much faith in Comrie being an NHLer. It wouldn't be the first time scouting has beaten the numbers, but overall the numbers win more often than not and they don't paint a great outlook for Comrie. I'll be cheering for him, but I doubt he makes it.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
Kid has heart and we all know goalies are weird so he could turn the corner this year and start playing really well.....but I am not sad to see him go.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
He'll be back. But with the Moose.

Comrie is one of the few destined Jets, as he's been part of both 1.0 and 2.0 franchises.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'm surprised we didn't try to get something in return for him, because he's definitely got potential, but got passed by a guy who struts. I wish Comrie the best in Arizona.

At only 6'1 I doubt he'll have much of a career. Might make it as a backup, but that's best case scenario

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ

Stuck behind Kuemper/Raanta short-term and Provestov long-term, Hill want out.

ShelbyZ

Apr 8, 2015
Maybe the Yotes are looking to carry 3 so Raanta doesn't have to back up Kuemper when Darcy gets the start?

The Red Wings did that back in 06-07 with Joey MacDonald as insurance to keep Hasek from tweaking his groin or something going into a game cold if Osgood needed to be pulled or get hurt.

Games either went:

Hasek - Starting
Osgood - Dressed as backup
MacDonald - Press Box

or

Osgood - Starting
MacDonald - Dressed as backup
Hasek - Press Box

Only thing that seems to make sense if they aren't expecting Raanta to miss a ton of time.

Reactions: hn777 and SniperHF

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg

He is just that bad (at the NHL level). Great kid and always seemed happy and was good for the Moose.

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
weird that a young kid playing goalie once a year in the NHL would look scared
Passive-aggressive sarcastic fly-by comments are increasing here.

He's been called up more than once so we can get a glimpse and all 4 or 5 times he's looked more than scared.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
I'm surprised we didn't try to get something in return for him, because he's definitely got potential, but got passed by a guy who struts. I wish Comrie the best in Arizona.

He's not absolutely gone from Winnipeg for good. Maybe they sensed the market was soft on him and were hoping they could sneak him through waivers now when less teams have flexibility. Even if they could have received a late round pick, maybe it was worth trying.

Arizona will have to trade or cut a goalie. Despite Comrie's pedigree, there might not be a huge market for him in a trade. Most teams have two goalies who they are invested in. If Arizona waives Comrie again and Winnipeg is the only team to put a claim in on him, the Jets would get him back and be able to assign him to the AHL.

qqaz

Think Happy Thoughts
Oct 25, 2018

Stuck behind Kuemper/Raanta short-term and Provestov long-term, Hill want out.

Thanks for posting that. I'm a huge Raanta fan, and was worried that this move signalled something more serious for him again. But this sounds like it's a problem with Hill, not Rants.

Raanta / Kuemper is a strong 1-2 for Arizona. If they are going to make the playoffs, those two will be a huge reason why.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Thanks for posting that. I'm a huge Raanta fan, and was worried that this move signalled something more serious for him again. But this sounds like it's a problem with Hill, not Rants.

Raanta / Kuemper is a strong 1-2 for Arizona. If they are going to make the playoffs, those two will be a huge reason why.
Agreed. They finished tied for 6th in GA last season, only team in Top 10 to not make the playoffs.....and that was with Raanta only playing 12 games.

Reactions: qqaz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad