Confirmed Trade: [ARI/CAR] Jordan Martinook and 2018 4th round pick for Marcus Kruger (10% retained) and 2018 3rd

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Chayka's angle here is Martinook + 4th for 3rd which seems like fine asset management to me on paper.

Kruger is just noise.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I was really startled to see just how low Martinook's +/- was this year. I mean the majority of the team is in the -7 to -15ish range but four guys were really really low

Richardson-24
Martinook
OEL -28
Goligoski -31

Not making any commentary/insinuation, just surprised as no other player was below -17

I'm guessing, but AZ fans would need to comment, that it's due to the fact that he was on a low scoring line, but getting some of the toughest defensive assignments (decent quality of competition, lots of dzone starts).

Player Usage Chart.png

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
The key is if Kruger can still be a 4C. He certainly couldn't in Carolina last year, but maybe that was a match with the coach/personnel. Either way, I agree with you, it seems like a decent, albeit very minor, move for each team.

Absolutely, it's a trade on the margins that probably won't have the biggest impact either way. Still, it's a move I have no problems with, all things considered.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
I would say this trade confirms that. Also earlier reports from local media that he’s looking for a three year deal. Not a chance.

Yeah, that's a no go for more. I wouldn't even go more than 1 year with his recent seasons.

Guys like Nash (had a low end 2C season honestly), Ryan, Schaller,Filppula, Brodziak, Letestu as the bottom 6 UFAs to be are more attractive to other teams.

Reactions: _Del_

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah, that's a no go for more. I wouldn't even go more than 1 year with his recent seasons.

Guys like Nash (had a low end 2C season honestly), Ryan, Schaller,Filppula, Brodziak, Letestu as the bottom 6 UFAs to be are more attractive to other teams.
You can apparently add Kruger to the list of “more attractive” at least to Arizona, who essentially just turned the page on Richardson.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
You can apparently add Kruger to the list of “more attractive” at least to Arizona, who essentially just turned the page on Richardson.

Exactly. He was a good player, but there's younger and better players out there who will be in more demand than he will. Just looking at this list: 2018 NHL Free Agents Tracker
desharnais who scored more points and is younger is going to the KHL. I'd be shocked if he gets anything more than 1 year.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
He came from being a playoff hero to a cap dump real quick.

He had a pretty serious wrist injury during his last year in Chicago and he was absolutely brutal since then. He had nothing on shot, couldnt really win or take draws, and even be hard on the stick

Used to be a fearless playoff warrior and he regressed down to just a euro smurf again

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He had a pretty serious wrist injury during his last year in Chicago and he was absolutely brutal since then. He had nothing on shot, couldnt really win or take draws, and even be hard on the stick

Used to be a fearless playoff warrior and he regressed down to just a euro smurf again
Back to 55% on faceoffs last year. If he can get healthy and skate, he'll be fine as a fourth liner/pk guy, I think. No one is expecting him to be a 3rd line warrior anymore.
If he doesn't work out, we moved up and got yet another third rounder to play with at the draft in exchange for a fourth and a decent fourth line guy I don't think the new coach loved as much as the old.

Reactions: SoCalFan

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Me too. Is this a "Rick Dudley trade" or is someone else allowed to trade with other teams in Carolina?
Waddell's still the interim GM as far as I understand.

I'm OK with this, just curious timing.
Would not be surprised to see the Canes try to move Nordy's rights for a low pick since Martinook is likely taking his 4th line spot.
Weird timing considering that Krueger is actually playing in Charlotte's playoff run right now.

Reactions: sheriff bart

Booba

Jun 20, 2005
Carolina got quite a decent return for a player with negative value.

I thought that the Canes would have had to part ways with a significant asset (ex: 2/3rd pick or mid-level prospect) in order to unload Kruger's contract.

I would say this trade confirms that. Also earlier reports from local media that he’s looking for a three year deal. Not a chance.

I'll be surprised if Richardson gets anything more than a PTO.

Chayka's angle here is Martinook + 4th for 3rd which seems like fine asset management to me on paper.

Kruger is just noise.

Not if Carolina flips Martinook for a 3rd or a 4th before the trade deadline.

Last edited:

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

Kruger is just noise.

How is Kruger noise? His salary alone ruins that argument, he is signed longer and to a more expensive deal, and salary matters in arizona, that limits there options.

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
How is Kruger noise? His salary alone ruins that argument, he is signed longer and to a more expensive deal, and salary matters in arizona, that limits there options.

Kruger has one year left on his contract at a 2.7M caphit and 2.07M in salary after 10% retention, which will probably be cheaper than if we had resigned Richardson to the multi year contract he reportedly wanted. If Kruger doesn't work out the Yotes should be able to move him by the deadline with additional retention if need be. Not sure how our options are being limited here.

Last edited:

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
The only people who feel strongly about this trade are apparently fans of uninvolved teams.

Martinook should be fine for Carolina. He's a good fourth liner with a little flexibility. I like him. If they hire Tipp, they'll see a lot of him. They obviously are done with Kruger.

AZ takes a chance on Kruger on an expiring contract, gives up a fourth liner, and moves up and gets another third to play with at the draft. Picks are never worth more than right now as the draft approaches.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->