Confirmed Trade: [ARI/BUF]Brandon Hickey and Mike Sislo for Hudson Fasching

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
So Mike Smith for Fasching and a 3rd?

Mike Smith(25% retained) for Fasching and a 3rd*

At least Fasching should get some ice time in AZ. Likely his last NHL stop if he doesn't impress.

I remember liking the Hickey pick after the Flames made it, though I can't really remember why. Has some respectable NCAA numbers and probably some NHL potential but looked pretty soft whenever I've watched him. Very fluent skater from what I remember.

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
When LA picked up McNabb and two 2nd rounders many Kings fans did not like it because of the inclusion of Facshing. Now looks like a steal.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Mike Smith(25% retained) for Fasching and a 3rd*

At least Fasching should get some ice time in AZ. Likely his last NHL stop if he doesn't impress.

I remember liking the Hickey pick after the Flames made it, though I can't really remember why. Has some respectable NCAA numbers and probably some NHL potential but looked pretty soft whenever I've watched him. Very fluent skater from what I remember.
Hickey is still a pretty good prospect. Better than Fasching for sure. He just wasn’t going to sign in Arizona. So the Coyotes elected to get a kid that might help their AHL team.

Reactions: iSophagus

Rasmus CacOlainen

The end of the Tank
Sep 24, 2015
Europe
Hickey is still a pretty good prospect. Better than Fasching for sure. He just wasn’t going to sign in Arizona. So the Coyotes elected to get a kid that might help their AHL team.
Fasching isnt waiver exempt, if you are planning to get him for AHL help you may lose him to a team dumb enough to think he has NHL future.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
An overpayment for a guy that has 3 points in 3 NHL seasons ? I think that's the definition of insanely stupid...

McNabb would have been a quality, young, cheap option that the Sabres could have slotted on our 2nd pairing for years to come. Murray gave up that PLUS 2x 2nd round picks and turned it into nothing. The picks don't have much value individually, but for that package he could've gotten a pretty good NHL player.

This might've been Tim Murray's worst trade as GM, and that's saying a lot.
Lol. Such hyperbole. I've laid it out multiple times. The prospects that were taken with those picks don't look like they'll become anything. McNabb is a bottom pairing defenseman. Picks are way overrated around these parts.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Lol. Such hyperbole. I've laid it out multiple times. The prospects that were taken with those picks don't look like they'll become anything. McNabb is a bottom pairing defenseman. Picks are way overrated around these parts.
Erik Cernak is probably going to be a bottom pairing Dman in the NHL someday. He plays heavy minutes for a very good Crunch team. Also, he was the primary return in the Ben Bishop trade last year, so he's already provided value to LA.

Lintuniemi has also show progress and could be an NHLer someday.

Your analysis of these prospects is off.

And it's besides the point. Murray inherited an incredible wealth of assets as GM of the Sabres, and he spent them wildly and irresponsibly.

That trade looked terrible at the time, and 4 years later, it looks even worse.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Fasching has had injuries derail every one of his minor league seasons, and now he's no longer waiver eligible. He's looked great in training camps, etc., and even when brought up in the NHL, but he would always get hurt before too long. He plays a really strong boards game and he honestly still has NHL 3/4th ling winger quality for a brow beating role, but that is the polar opposite of what Buffalo is trying to do with their teams right now, so there's really not a fit anymore. I wouldn't be surprised if he succeeded as a depth player if inserted in the NHL next year. Just don't expect speed or skill, just a player who will grind the puck in the corners and drive it to the net.

Reactions: Chainshot

PeguffaloSabres

Aug 7, 2011
Fasching does not show what got him to the NHL. He came in like his hair was on fire, played a great 1st game, and it went downhill from there. From promising bottom 6 forward to AHL scratch.

Throw away the speed, throw away the puck skills.. he needs a good coach that can get through to him. Make him play the way he needs to play to stick in the NHL. His bread and butter is bull rushing the net and disrupting the goalie and tipping pucks or cleaning up garbage. He also needs to be much more physical and use his size like he used to do. That's what he needs to do. If this and his AHL scratching was enough of a wake up call for him, to realize he needs to consistently play a hard nosed game to stick in the NHL, then this was a good pickup for Arizona. If he continues to play like he did this entire season in Rochester, then you've got a career journeyman AHLer.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Right, so Buffalo would of drafted those same prospects? It is nonsense to say after the trade oh those players were a bust so the trade is ok. 2 2nds are assets that could have been used to bring in a better player. Fasching is a bust. Any way you look at it the trade was a disaster. Your analysis is nonsense. McNabb and 2 2nds for Fasching and Des was a complete disaster. You saying otherwise shows you don't really know what you are talking about.

Last edited:

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore

Opportunity cost. It's a bad trade because of what Buffalo could've otherwise used McNabb and two 2nds to acquire that wasn't Fasching and Nic freaking Deslauriers.

There's no sugarcoating that it was a bad trade for Buffalo.

Reactions: WeDislikeEich

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Fasching was an interesting prospect 3 years ago. Why isn't he in the NHL yet? Is he going to be?

Injury didn't help his development - he lost considerable time in his first AHL season, so much so he has fewer AHL games played than Alex Nylander who just spent 30 games on the sideline due to a groin issue too. His strong wall game from his Gopher days, the ability to protect and cycle along the wall, win pucks and get to the net never manifested.

I wish him well in Arizona.

As for Hickey, he was recruited to BU by now-Sabres assitant GM Stephen Greeley when Greeley was associate head coach with Quinn. I would think that has something to do with why Botterill wanted his rights and may figure the Sabres have an opportunity to sign him prior to August 15th.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Fasching's development path should be a cautionary tale for anyone who becomes enamored by an unheralded player's performance at the U20's.

Reactions: Jamie Walker

rt

May 13, 2004
Fasching isnt waiver exempt, if you are planning to get him for AHL help you may lose him to a team dumb enough to think he has NHL future.
He’s not going to be claimed if the worst team in the league gave up on him and then the third worst team in the league waived. Who’s going to claim him and keep him on their nhl roster sight unseen? Ottawa? Anyway, it wouldn’t matter if he did get claimed. He’s a bottom six ahl player.

rt

May 13, 2004
Fasching's development path should be a cautionary tale for anyone who becomes enamored by an unheralded player's performance at the U20's.
Do you meanU18s? He had a good U18 in his draft year before going in the 4th round. He then had a great 1st year at Minnesota and a great WJC the year after being drafted. Seems like a great start for a 4th rounder.

Obviously he fizzled out, but seems like a pretty good pick. For a 4th rounder to even get hopes up like that is pretty well done. I’d say he was a good pick.

Or do you mean his boosted trade value when the Sabres picked him up from LA?

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Do you meanU18s? He had a good U18 in his draft year before going in the 4th round. He then had a great 1st year at Minnesota and a great WJC the year after being drafted. Seems like a great start for a 4th rounder.

Obviously he fizzled out, but seems like a pretty good pick. For a 4th rounder to even get hopes up like that is pretty well done. I’d say he was a good pick.

Or do you mean his boosted trade value when the Sabres picked him up from LA?

Murray’s fascination with him specifically after the U20s.

PeguffaloSabres

Aug 7, 2011
Opportunity cost. It's a bad trade because of what Buffalo could've otherwise used McNabb and two 2nds to acquire that wasn't Fasching and Nic freaking Deslauriers.

Sabres could have picked Point in 2014 (doubtful) or Sprong, Greenway, Andersson or Dunn in 2015.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY

Sure. Shoulda woulda coulda. Most of the board was happy Murray went out and got a prospect that had a really good D+1 year and looked like he had the potential to be a good top 6 power forward prospect. Now that it didn't pan out people are quick to point out all these other things we could have done with a bottom pairing defenseman who got claimed in the expansion draft and a couple of 2nd rounders. It was a "waste of assets", but I'm not all worked up about it like others are. This wasn't a 1st for Robin Lehner or the kings ransom we gave up for Kane and Brokegosian. I get your general point though. Murray spent draft picks like a drunken sailor. Some of his moves worked out, others didn't. In the grand scheme of things this really wasn't a major deal despite people trying to frame it that way.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Sabres could have picked Point in 2014 (doubtful) or Sprong, Greenway, Andersson or Dunn in 2015.
And every team in the league could have taken Datsyuk or Zetterberg or insert player here. You can go through every draft after the fact and hand pick a lot of guys that have panned out. The majority of 2nd round picks never become anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad