Ari Ahonen - What a disapointment

Craig Ludwig

Jun 16, 2005
Several years ago, it seemed like Ari Ahonen was a "can't miss" goaltending prospect that would possibly even compete with Brodeur for the starting job in New Jersey. Now I just noticed that he is an unrestricted Free Agent that no one will even sign for the league minimum. What in the world happened to this guy?

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
And to think he made it as high as 12th on the HF top 50 lists....boy this one was a dog....

http://hockeysfuture.com/2001top50.php

In this year's Future Watch, THN listed it's top 50 for 2001 and Ahonen clocked in at #5, while Christian Berglund was at #20. Pains me to know that all we ended up getting out of those two was 80 games of Viktor Kozlov.

So yeah, just another reminder not to count your chickens before they hatch!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I always wonder if the lack of faith in management coupled by his knowing that he'd never be a starter for NJ most likely just made his play collapse. It's got to suck knowing you're stuck down there for a LONG time.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I always wonder if the lack of faith in management coupled by his knowing that he'd never be a starter for NJ most likely just made his play collapse. It's got to suck knowing you're stuck down there for a LONG time.

That and being stuck on some absolutely putrid Albany teams. If Ahonen had kept it up, some other teams might have been interested in acquiring him. Probably would have been best if the Devils had traded him a couple years ago and let him get a fresh start with another organization. Who knows, maybe he finds his game in Europe and comes back as a viable NHL goalie a la Tim Thomas.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
For those reasons, I can't help but wonder if he'd be worth taking a chance on. See if maybe playing in a system where he doesn't have to beat out the best goalie in the world to get a job doesn't help motivate him a little. He still has time, and goalies often develop late.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
I always felt Ahonen was overrated a bit because he was a Devils prospect...but at any rate, it was painfully obvious he'd never go anywhere with the Devils and in retrospect, they would have been better off trading him awhile back. Might have even helped his career.

edit: ouch, this scouting report is just painful to read:

The Rangers, with the 9th selection of the 1999 Draft, took center Jamie Lundmark from the Moose Jaw Warriors of the WHL. A two-way player with excellent speed and offensive skills, Lundmark is the type of player who will give you something every night. He thrives under pressure and loves to be the go-to-guy. He's a fierce competitor and an excellent leader. Compared to the likes of Steve Yzerman and Joe Sakic, Lundmark is one of the top prospects in the Rangers' organization. He could win a spot on the roster this season with a good showing in camp, but if he needs more time, he'll be sent to the minors to develop his game with the Hartford Wolf Pack of the AHL.

yeah...

BronxBruin

Feb 27, 2002
Bronx, NY
Visit site
I think my favoriate is:

7. Jeff Jillson (15), D, San Jose
Just call Jillson a poor man's version of Chris Pronger. When the Sharks selected Jeff with the 14th pick of the 1999 NHL entry draft, they might have hit the jackpot.

KaptainKourage*

WOW
So that means that player on top 50 are not all FRANCHISE PLAYER ??

But i thought top 50 HF prospect >> all-star player in the NHL :dunno:

X-SHARKIE

I think my favoriate is:

7. Jeff Jillson (15), D, San Jose
Just call Jillson a poor man's version of Chris Pronger. When the Sharks selected Jeff with the 14th pick of the 1999 NHL entry draft, they might have hit the jackpot.

lol, I know..but after his days with Michigan and his rookie year in the NHL, he looked legit. In the end he allowed us to get Kyle McLaren so I cannot complain with the pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad