Arena Enhancement Discussion Thread

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
Every season I think most of us look forward to the arena upgrades that we seem to get on a pretty regular basis. These upgrades help keep the arena modernized year after year and for the most part I think they are received with high regard. From seat replacements to bathroom upgrades, bars and convenience markets, etc. I think most can agree that those upgrades have been an overall positive for the experience.

This season the jersey wall is great. The audio/video/in-arena experience is great when it works and I have no doubt those growing pains will get worked out quickly. The concessions stand experience hasn't been so rosy, though the employees have been great to work with throughout the process.

From the observations thread:

#1: I love the convenience of having my season ticket holder pass on my phone in lieu of carrying a card around on a lanyard. HOWEVER... I hate handing my phone over to have them scan it. Who is liable if they drop that thing? Not sure the Preds thought that one through completely.

#2: It takes way too long to buy something now. Part of it is probably related to learning curve. Part of it is potentially system glitches a la what we're seeing/hearing with the new audio/visual experience. With that said, I saw someone have to punch what seemed like at least 9 separate buttons to sell me a single beer. (Note: It was my first beer so no I wasn't seeing double.)

#3: Club bar is way too slow now. It's obvious to anyone who has been up there in previous years. They've always been slow during the intermissions due to only 3 bartenders but it's exponentially worse this year due to #1 and #2 above. Frankly we just avoid the place now since intermission time is limited and that place has been such a crap shoot on efficiency. Sucks too because it's a great central meeting point on a level of the arena that really doesn't offer much.

(Thread created per the suggestion of Fossilfndr. Great idea as it should help remove clutter from the Observations thread.)

Reactions: Jonesey

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
I live in Chicago now so I havent gotten to check out the "Jersey Roller Coaster" in person. But my only thoughts from having seen it on social media and quick snipts on tv is whyy?? I dont get it? I understand wanting to display our roster and show off the jerseys but this looks silly and it seems like you cant even read off the names due to how close together they are? Am I missing something here?

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
I live in Chicago now so I havent gotten to check out the "Jersey Roller Coaster" in person. But my only thoughts from having seen it on social media and quick snipts on tv is whyy?? I dont get it? I understand wanting to display our roster and show off the jerseys but this looks silly and it seems like you cant even read off the names due to how close together they are? Am I missing something here?
They copied it straight from the Braves. When you walk into SunTrust Field the first thing you see is the "jersey coaster".

Mustard

Jan 26, 2011
Nashville
Game 1, I asked for a lid for my cup, which I have to fill up. (outside s. 208) Concession lady (who by the way, is the "team leader" and is no younger than 75 and always super cranky.. which has made these technological updates all the more frustrating.. But that's another issue that's been going on for several years now...). She proceeds to more or less snap at me for being "the 50th person to ask for a lid.. THEY AINT GIVE US NONE"... Um, Ok. Jesus. The game hasn't even started yet. I go to another concession stand and they said they don't have any either, because the team is "going green". I'm all about using less plastic, but don't sell a giant ass plastic cup and then skimp out on the lids and straws that use 1/50th of the amount of plastic. GTFO of here with that. Go all the way or don't go at all.

Went down to complain at the fan info center, they said a ton of other people complained as well and that the team is "going green". They recommended emailing the team as the more people who complain the more likely it'll get changed.

Been lids and straws ever since game 1, which is good, but clearly they had the lids and straws at Game 1; they just wanted to test the crowd to see if a bunch of people would complain, which is just kind of annoying.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
My guess is the team won't do a lot of listening about the "going green" stuff at first.......people always complain when things change. It's easy to just be like yeah whatever they'll be fine. Now in a few months if they're still getting constant complaints about it, they might be forced to look at some things.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Oh yeah, this trend of cutting out plastic straws is very shortsighted and not just by the Predators.

These convenience items have been made a scapegoat by people who want to feel like they're doing something good for the planet. And while these items definitely are contributing to the problem, they're far from the biggest issue (want to guess what the worst offender to our oceans is?). I think all of these businesses who are cutting out their straws and lids took it too far, too fast. They should still offer these items by request since they can be necessary for some people. I am okay without using them, but for example at the Preds game I would have appreciated a lid and straw for my five year old.

On top of that, you can set up a separate "Plastics Only" can next to the trash cans, not everyone is going to separate their garbage, but it will definitely catch a good portion of the straws and lids which should already be greatly reduced if they are only by request.

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
I don't typically buy soft drinks but do they happen to offer an option where you can bring your own cup? Or buy a "souvenir" cup that you can bring back the next game? That is a much better middle of the road approach in my opinion. There's no way I want to run around that arena with a massive lidless cup. Especially on rally towel night.

On the other hand, I guess people survive just fine carrying around open draft beers so there's that.

Reactions: valeriammm

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
I personally love that they got rid of straws and lids, or that they might be trying to. Do I think this is more about cutting costs? Absolutley. Do I think there are bigger issues out there than straws? Yes, again. But like anything its a start. People already go around with draft beers with no lids, how is this any different? And as for kids and those with disabilities, I think its a great time to start a habbit of bringing your own straw or cup, maybe the arena could start a bring your own cup promo where they will discount $1 or something? Either way, its not a huge deal imo, its simply mngt trying to save a buc and seem trendy for "going green"

Reactions: Ice and Whiskey

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham

On the jersey roller coaster- are those jerseys for sale or are they just for show????? Still haven't been able to figure that out......

Reactions: valeriammm

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
On the jersey roller coaster- are those jerseys for sale or are they just for show????? Still haven't been able to figure that out......
Thats what I was wondering to? I think it would be cool if you could just bring one of them down that you liked similar to a vending machine, a very expensive vending machine

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
Until you figure out how to replace bottled water, worrying about a lid or straw is like trying to stop a flood with a 5 gallon bucket.
Easy. You supply water fountains with the water bottle fill stations, encouraging fans to bring their own and sell reusable preds promo water bottles. Next?

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
"No, I just know a lost cause when I see it. That's the reason I don't recycle."

I just thought it was ironic that this came up right after I saw that episode of How I Met Your Mother.

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
I talking about more than a single arena in Nashville.
At this point we are getting wildly off topic. Feel free to msg me about green options, I could talk about that all day, but back to Bridgestone, this "money saving" option is one im behind. If only they could do it with out jacking tickets prices. Hopefully the Titans start becoming successful and footballs fans can focus in on that more lol

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
At this point we are getting wildly off topic. Feel free to msg me about green options, I could talk about that all day, but back to Bridgestone, this "money saving" option is one im behind. If only they could do it with out jacking tickets prices. Hopefully the Titans start becoming successful and footballs fans can focus in on that more lol
The Titans could win the Super Bowl one season and the Preds would still be the only pro game in town once February starts. Or January, depending on how many playoff games are at home. Their success as it relates to things regarding Preds tickets and whatnot is pretty over exaggerated IMO. Plus there are plenty of people who root for both and attend both, and I'm glad about that.

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
"No, I just know a lost cause when I see it. That's the reason I don't recycle."

I just thought it was ironic that this came up right after I saw that episode of How I Met Your Mother.

Living out in the country I have to take my trash to a 'Convenience Center' about 5 miles from home. I do separate my glass, plastic etc. Was talking to the attendant who told me that the county lost money on every bin of 'recyclables'. But I still do it.

valeriammm

Beers/Bikes/Bums
Sep 21, 2018
The Titans could win the Super Bowl one season and the Preds would still be the only pro game in town once February starts. Or January, depending on how many playoff games are at home. Their success as it relates to things regarding Preds tickets and whatnot is pretty over exaggerated IMO. Plus there are plenty of people who root for both and attend both, and I'm glad about that.
Dont get me wrong, I love seeing the sport grow especially in my home state. Im just bitter I cant afford to go to games now when I do go back to visit family, and now living in Chicago I still cant afford hockey here lol

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Oh yeah, this trend of cutting out plastic straws is very shortsighted and not just by the Predators.

These convenience items have been made a scapegoat by people who want to feel like they're doing something good for the planet. And while these items definitely are contributing to the problem, they're far from the biggest issue (want to guess what the worst offender to our oceans is?). I think all of these businesses who are cutting out their straws and lids took it too far, too fast. They should still offer these items by request since they can be necessary for some people. I am okay without using them, but for example at the Preds game I would have appreciated a lid and straw for my five year old.

On top of that, you can set up a separate "Plastics Only" can next to the trash cans, not everyone is going to separate their garbage, but it will definitely catch a good portion of the straws and lids which should already be greatly reduced if they are only by request.

Agreed. Straws and tops should be easily available. And more recycling areas for those . It's very unclear in the main concourse where anything is supposed to go.
Recycling and green. Going green is a phrase not examined enough for cost benefit. It's unfortunately a trendy feel good phrase that has nothing to do with reality.
And even though I know that an enormous % of recyclables do go into landfills, I still do it.

As far as spilling and beer or soft drinks ... I walk thru sticky beer and soft drinks at every single game. My hockey tennis shoes never come in the house because they are consistently sticky.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Easy. You supply water fountains with the water bottle fill stations, encouraging fans to bring their own and sell reusable preds promo water bottles. Next?

Yea, you want to carry multiple cups and lids into security , good luck. They limit the size of Purses.
And you want to get a test on the water coming out of water fountains in the bridge and the age of water pipes in downtown Nashville. Good luck. People don't drink from those for a reason.
I have taken an empty water bottle into the bridge and they don't like it, and the water from the fountain tastes horrible.
So no, not easy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad