Areas to improve on for next season

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
I think our defense needs some work.

Defensemen we should replace:
Markov- I don't think he's the same Markov everyone thinks he is. At least not anymore, he's slower, too many 2-1 breaks. The book on him is he doesn't shoot the puck in the powerplay so everyone knows there's not need to cover Markov. At $5,750,000 with a modified NTC, its very hard to move Markov. Moving him would change the atmosphere in the back end and allow PK Subban to lead this team. Luckily he's only got a 1 year left on his contract.

Kaberle- A huge waste of roster and cap space. At $4,250,000, its really hard to move him this year. We might end up buying him out in the summer. Unless a team is really desperate come trading deadline.

Gorges- I am not a fan of Gorges. He's very limited in terms of puck skills and creativity in the offensive zone. He's not a strong guy nor does he block that many shots. At $3,900,000 and a full NTC it's a pipe dream to move him.

Defensemen we should keep:
Subban- I'm wondering why he isn't leading this team in icetime. He's big and strong and can pretty much do anything. He's quick and has a blast from the point. I believe we are under using Subban.

Diaz-Though I'm not a fan of Diaz, I think he moves the puck very well. A very smart player in both ends of the ice. Rarely do I see him turn the puck over. We can use more players like Diaz but bigger.

Bouillon-I'm a Bouillon fan, he's small but he's build like a ox. I notice this is a very different Bouillon than the lost time he was here. He moves the puck very well out of our zone and hits when needed. Too bad he's 37.

Emelin- is a very good 6th defenseman, I like his size and the way he plays the game. He's also among the league's top hitters. We need this time of player for the playoffs.

GoHabsGo76

Fire Bergevin
Apr 16, 2009
Hawthorne, NJ
Ha, we lose one ugly game after 5 straight wins and this thread comes up. Let's just enjoy this year. It's been a fun ride so far.

That being said, I agree with your analysis.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
I think Gorges is pretty overrated, but he's still a solid player. I wouldn't move him. I'd keep Markov as well unless I was offered a deal that blew me away. Markov is no longer a #1 Dman.. If used properly, he can be a great weapon. MT is still playing him like it's 2008. Kaberle can kick rocks.

JHabs61

Jan 9, 2011
Goaltending :sarcasm:

But seriously, if you think we should get rid of Markov/Gorges you're nuts in my opinion.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
tweaking. gally and chucky literally slide into top 6...
another skill forward with size is added.
leblanc / bournival replaces armstrong and nokelainen
and tinordi replaces bouillon

Jake5

Mar 11, 2008
Montreal, QC
get rid of Markov/Gorges, keep Bouillon ......riiiiiiiight

also..Gorges is #2 in the league (1 block behind the leader) in blocked shots, yet he doesn't block that many according to you? not following your logic here

Last edited:

Trembz

GHG
Jul 2, 2009
Canada

also..Gorges is #2 in the league (1 behind the leader) in blocked shots, yet he doesn't block that many according to you? not following your logic here

Also finished super high up in blocked shots last year also no?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

also..Gorges is #2 in the league (1 behind the leader) in blocked shots, yet he doesn't block that many according to you? not following your logic here
It's not about 'getting rid of Markov' its about maximizing a return for him.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003

His post was ridiculous to begin with but this really cemented it........

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

Markov- I don't think he's the same Markov everyone thinks he is. At least not anymore, he's slower, too many 2-1 breaks. The book on him is he doesn't shoot the puck in the powerplay so everyone knows there's not need to cover Markov. At $5,750,000 with a modified NTC, its very hard to move Markov. Moving him would change the atmosphere in the back end and allow PK Subban to lead this team. Luckily he's only got a 1 year left on his contract.

Kaberle- A huge waste of roster and cap space. At $4,250,000, its really hard to move him this year. We might end up buying him out in the summer. Unless a team is really desperate come trading deadline.

Gorges- I am not a fan of Gorges. He's very limited in terms of puck skills and creativity in the offensive zone. He's not a strong guy nor does he block that many shots. At $3,900,000 and a full NTC it's a pipe dream to move him.

Subban- I'm wondering why he isn't leading this team in icetime. He's big and strong and can pretty much do anything. He's quick and has a blast from the point. I believe we are under using Subban.

Diaz-Though I'm not a fan of Diaz, I think he moves the puck very well. A very smart player in both ends of the ice. Rarely do I see him turn the puck over. We can use more players like Diaz but bigger.

Bouillon-I'm a Bouillon fan, he's small but he's build like a ox. I notice this is a very different Bouillon than the lost time he was here. He moves the puck very well out of our zone and hits when needed. Too bad he's 37.

Emelin- is a very good 6th defenseman, I like his size and the way he plays the game. He's also among the league's top hitters. We need this time of player for the playoffs.
lol what?

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia

He lead the NHL by far with 250 blocked shots last season. The second highest was Brett Clark with 199.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Epic Fail :facepalm:

LaTenderness*

We are exactly one Alex Semin away from being a serious contender for Lord Stanley's mug

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Before starting a thread like this, we should let the season play out, then wait 2-3 weeks for emotion to dissipate, then discuss things rationally. This post obviously lacks "taking a step back".

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
We are exactly one Alex Semin away from being a serious contender for Lord Stanley's mug

I'm not sure that's true.

Alexander Semin is a spectacular perimeter player, but we have a lot of perimeter players like Brian Gionta, Tomas Plekanec, and David Desharnais. We'd be replacing Whiskey with Cognac. It's definitely an upgrade, but it's an upgrade in a position of strength.

What we lack imo is strength. We need a huge D and a huge power forward. Might be worth it to take some risks, like trading Kaberle for Komisarek, or Cole for Clowe.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13

You're obssessed with selling everybody... Markov's not going anywhere till the end of his contract, deal with it.

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Diaz
Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu (call-up if injuries)

That's going to be our defense next year, asset management, we don't waste cap space on the D sqaud when we currently have 6 defensmens that are capable of playing at both sides of the ice and not cost goals to our team. Our main goal should be to find a big LW to complete the Galchenyuk-Gallagher line next season. Ryan Clowe is a shoe in for that spot.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
You're obssessed with selling everybody... Markov's not going anywhere till the end of his contract, deal with it.

Markov-Emelin
Gorges-Diaz
Tinordi-Subban
Beaulieu (call-up if injuries)

That's going to be our defense next year, asset management, we don't waste cap space on the D sqaud when we currently have 6 defensmens that are capable of playing at both sides of the ice and not cost goals to our team. Our main goal should be to find a big LW to complete the Galchenyuk-Gallagher line next season. Ryan Clowe is a shoe in for that spot.

I don't see the Habs keeping Beaulieu unless he is going to be a top 6 guy. I think Tinordi will probably crack the roster and Beaulieu starts the year AHL with Weber/St.Denis/similar player as #7.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal

Why stop with Markov? Let's maximizes Pleks, Diaz, Patches, Cole, hell let's maximizes Subban, Gallagher and Galchenyuk and Price.

If Yzerman has a heat stroke in Tampa and calls Bergevin offering Stamkos for Markov, you would have to be a fool to say no but we both know that ain't gonna happen.

We'll never get the value that Markov means to this team. Right now he's a direct mentor to Emelin and I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't mentoring Diaz and Subban. We have Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn and Ellis coming up the next two, three years. You need a smart, accomplished veteran to help these youngster along.

Sometimes the value of a player isn't just what you see on the ice. Hell even Price admitted Markov gave him a kick in the ass that he needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->