Are You Surprised By The 8-2-2 Start Without Kesler/Booth/Aaron Rome?

Aqualung

Nov 16, 2007
No.

Canucks have beaten teams earlier on that they're supposed to beat and that includes playing weak and injured teams in the NW. But they've also struggled against better teams outside the division.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
No.

Canucks have beaten teams earlier on that they're supposed to beat and that includes playing weak and injured teams in the NW. But they've also struggled against better teams outside the division.

You mean the weak minnesota team that was perdicted on hfboards to win our division? Not much we can do if they are not beating us.

People just assume our division is a cakewalk, i dont know why a team like detroit then can get destroyed by the flames when they played them, those should be easy games for them to. Edmonton can beat teams like the kings.

We beat the ducks who are on fire in a return match 5-0, we beat the hawks, should have beat the kings, we have done just fine outside of our divison so far. And we are playing outside our division for the next month i believe and getting two critical players back in our lineup.

Last edited:

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
We were a team that had our two star goalies steal games night in and night out last year. And nothing has changed. Not surprised.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Im not trying to imply that we are a bad team with good goalies if thats what you are thinking. But over the course of last season we by no means played at the level of a presidents trophy team, and Luongo and Schneider completely carried us for large stretches in the season. Going into this one there was all this panic over our lack of secondary scoring due to injuries, but we didn't get all that great of secondary scoring last year either, but we still won an incredible amount of games thanks to our goaltending tandem. Going into this season that tandem was still in tact so in that regard nothing has changed, and I'm not surprised by our record at this point.

deadinthewater

Jan 14, 2012
Im not trying to imply that we are a bad team with good goalies if thats what you are thinking. But over the course of last season we by no means played at the level of a presidents trophy team, and Luongo and Schneider completely carried us for large stretches in the season. Going into this one there was all this panic over our lack of secondary scoring due to injuries, but we didn't get all that great of secondary scoring last year either, but we still won an incredible amount of games thanks to our goaltending tandem. Going into this season that tandem was still in tact so in that regard nothing has changed, and I'm not surprised by our record at this point.

Oh, okay.

Fat Tony

Fire Benning
Nov 28, 2011
I wasn't expecting things to be as bad as most people thought - but I was not expecting this sort of production from the Canucks without a second line to speak of.

We scored one more goal last year over this after 12 games. This is a bit surprising given the absence of Kesler but it's the 9 fewer goals given up that's driving the record. That and the number of games vs. the NW so far.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
I am really surprised Minnesota hasn't gotten better though. I was really hoping that we finally would be able to have some exciting divisional games this year with them. Same old boring style it seems, and its too bad because they now have all these offensive weapons that should be set free.

25Bieksa3

Apr 28, 2009
Vancouver
With Kes and Booth and everyone healthy, no... NW divison opponents are just that bad. But we're running with an offensive skeleton crew, so I am pretty blown away. Not that I'm complaining. :)

CanadianPirate

Apr 17, 2007
Ehh, a little. But I also knew that the chicken littles at that came out during the first few games were overreacting. The canucks are an elite team that is solidifying its hold on the northwest division. This is what they need to do during the regular season. Win the division and iron out issues with special teams and the defense.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Canucks have been outsucked by a lot of teams. This start is great and everything, but entering the season with two viable centers is BS, even if Gillis is getting away with it. I hope nobody is trying to pretend this is "all part of the plan".

What plan? What did Gillis do with ten months of offseason? He signed Garrison (who wanted to come to Vancouver) but lost Salo and missed out on Schultz! He failed to deal with Malhotra and Luongo in a timely manner and just let the situations linger.

Kesler is going to be tentative for a while and Booth didn't look to be making the team. I don't think they will transform this roster into a playoff juggernaut. There is still work to do or else the Canucks will arrive in the post season with the same team that proved itself unable in LA last season. Expecting a different result is crazy.

Royal Canuck

Taco Enthusiast
Feb 10, 2011
Victoria, BC
Yes but no at the same time.

I knew we we're gunna drop the first few games, and I thought at this point we would be 7-4-1 or 8-4-0 or something around there.

Phrazer

Apr 2, 2008
Cairns
Canucks have been outsucked by a lot of teams. This start is great and everything, but entering the season with two viable centers is BS, even if Gillis is getting away with it. I hope nobody is trying to pretend this is "all part of the plan".

What plan? What did Gillis do with ten months of offseason? He signed Garrison (who wanted to come to Vancouver) but lost Salo and missed out on Schultz! He failed to deal with Malhotra and Luongo in a timely manner and just let the situations linger.

Kesler is going to be tentative for a while and Booth didn't look to be making the team. I don't think they will transform this roster into a playoff juggernaut. There is still work to do or else the Canucks will arrive in the post season with the same team that proved itself unable in LA last season. Expecting a different result is crazy.
I mostly agree with you as I wanted our secondary scoring to be addressed after our last playoff loss. As is right now which Ryan Kesler we are seeing a month from now really determines what MG has to do this deadline. If we are getting healthy 2011 Kesler and him and Booth are able to at least semi-mesh well I think we are looking as good as ever going into this years playoffs. But that is a big IF, and if he doesn't changes will have to be made.

While it is nice to see guys like Raymond and Schroeder currently playing really well I am not prepared to count on them being able to provide this team with timely scoring in the playoffs. And while Kassian seems to be a bit ahead of the development curve the majority of us expected, again I am not confident that he will be the extra edge needed to put this team over the top. Sure a scoring by committee effort amongst our bottom 3 lines could be possible, but we have gone in with that mentality for a few seasons now with unfavourable results.

A plus to all of this is I would say our goaltending has never been this good, no matter who we have in net. It is early in the season, but I feel Luongo is entering the prime of his career in terms of stability, and Schneider is looking great as well. So that itself may be enough to get us over the top, but I'm still not sold on the secondary scoring if Kesler is just playing at a average level upon return. But MG still has his big card in his hand ready to be played, the goalie card. We have all be long awaiting this inevitable trade, and I have faith that if it looks like this team needs a boost before the trade deadline it will get it.

I am an optimist when it comes to this team so I will try and put my faith in the current roster as much as I can. As is the team currently needs to hope for a combined resurgence of Booth, Kesler and Raymond all simultaneously coming together to give this team the playoff scoring it needs to win a cup. But if that does't look like its happening Gillis will get it done, he is just waiting.

xtr3m

Jan 28, 2009
Vancouver
Didn't know what to expect with the lockout. Hopefully the team will keep rolling and won't have to reinvent itself that much once the Michigan boys return.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I was expecting the typical slow Canucks start (given that they've had .500 starts in every season since I became a fan), so this is awesome.

Going 10-2-2 is now a possibility and that's equivalent to a 17-3-3 start in a normal season...

I'm surprised at Luongo starting the season on the right foot for once, too.

Amazing what motivation can do... the man has been challenged for the 1st time in his career... This is what the elite players do... i expect him to deliver all yr long.. not just the last 70% of the season.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
I am surprised. The canucks record is built on their goaltending and their record at even strength, as their special teams have been very mediocre. The canucks 5on5 play has been incredible so far, especially defensively.

Screenshot2013-02-13at42038AM_zps60dce5c4.png

When you consider that Anaheim scored 4 goals 5on5 in game #1 of the season, the canucks have only allowed 6 5on5 goals in 11 games.

Although not as good offensively 5on5, the canucks differential is also top of the pack by a big margin.

Screenshot2013-02-13at42611AM_zps79fbb501.png

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
I was expecting .500 hockey for the first 10-20 games as per the usual Canucks start, so I'm pleasantly surprised.

Voted No and I'm a HUGE liar :laugh:

n00bxQb

Jul 26, 2010
Amazing what motivation can do... the man has been challenged for the 1st time in his career... This is what the elite players do... i expect him to deliver all yr long.. not just the last 70% of the season.
I think it has more to do with the fact that he spent months training w/ Francois Allaire than motivation. Thank Leafs management for being incompetent and the NHL/NHLPA for dragging out the lockout.

Lu has always seemed motivated to me and everyone has always said he's one of the hardest working players on the team.

Apple Juice

Oct 13, 2008
Vancouver
I'm probably the only Canucks fan that actually appreciates and likes Aaron Rome. I'd rather have him than having useless plug Andrew Alberts right now...

And I actually miss Salo more than anything.. Anyone watched the last couple minutes in the Habs-Lightning game on TSN? Lightning down 3-1 with like 2 mins to go, Vinny Lecavalier scores to make it 3-2 with their net empty, 44 secs to go... THen the Habs take a penalty and what does Sami Salo do just a mere few seconds later?? OH I dunno, just blast the puck from the point and get a couple lucky deflections and tie the game 3-3.

Really miss Salo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->