Are you playing hockey?

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
My last game was Feb 1 2020, I tore my achilleas tendon about mid 3rd period.
Lucky it was a minor tear and healed fairly quickly.
I was scheduled to play in my first game back on March 21st, but California went into lockdown March 20th, and our local rink informed everyone that they will be closed till further notice.
I'm still waiting on that further notice.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
I haven't dared trying to stand on skates after I got my arthritis. My knees are gone and they were never good to begin with. Hopefully if I continue losing weight I can at least try a bit! I miss that feeling of getting a pass from ahead and one timing a slap shot.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I just got a pair of inline skates so I can at least skate on a bike path or something. Haven't been on the ice for basically a full year at this point.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Skated on an outdoor roller rink back in October, but haven't played a game since late February. I miss it big time, would love to play competitively again instead of just stick handling in my garage lol

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
it's now been well over a year since i've been on ice. i've probably played roller hockey 100+ times in that span though.

a guy from my LHS used to rent out the rink and run Open Hockey every week. he said he thinks he'll be allowed to do it again beginning in March .

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Kids hockey was up and running in Edmonton this past weekend. Lots of restrictions: one team only on the ice (used to be 2 teams sharing), social distancing, probably no games for the rest of the season, social distancing, no battle drills or the like... but it was still wonderful. With 3 kids I was out on the ice for 5 hours this past weekend helping to coach - it was great.

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
I get in the odd pickup game.

My skating was never good enough, as I basically taught myself how to skate, so I look like someone who has never taken power skating lessons. But I always have fun. I can pass the puck around alright, and have a pretty decent slapshot. I've torn my ACL twice so there's not as much power in my knees. I think I am done with any competitive hockey, since I'm over 40.

I was volunteering at a community centre in one of the poorest areas in Winnipeg earlier this winter, cleaning off the rink daily for the kids, so I did take the opportunity to put on the old Coopers and play some bush league goalie, which is good exercise.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Pretty fortunate that we were able to play rec hockey from mid-July to the beginning of February safely (with restrictions). My neck of the woods had an outbreak of the UK variant and now our government officials are saying that they won't allow the resumption of any team sports until 80-90% of the local population is vaccinated.

Meanwhile places with far worse outbreaks are playing sports and even allowing fans to attend sporting events.

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Wanted to play some light skate and puck practice but even that’s closed off Only rec skating is allowed in our local arenas
Don’t understand that

LarryO

Feb 12, 2009
Montreal
www.youtube.com
Wanted to play some light skate and puck practice but even that’s closed off Only rec skating is allowed in our local arenas
Don’t understand that
Then do some rec skating. Some people don't even have that. Practice your skating techniques so you'll be ready when hockey resumes. Be grateful of what you have and make the best of it.

Reactions: dlam

WolfgangPuck

May 12, 2012
Then do some rec skating. Some people don't even have that. Practice your skating techniques so you'll be ready when hockey resumes. Be grateful of what you have and make the best of it.
Yes I should be grateful
I just like having a hockey stick and puck around when I’m skating too
Sometimes skating at the rink without stick is like walking the golf course without golf clubs

Reactions: LarryO

Aces89

Apr 22, 2020

My men’s league team are not playing in a season here in Kingston, Ontario since there was no league so we’ve been booking the ice in the neighboring town.

TurboCat

Aug 8, 2020
Nope. I’m in Alberta Canada and I played a bit July to November (maybe 7 games, 10 stick and puck) then nothing since. I did ODR for a while but now obviously it’s spring. It’s frustrating. I would do anything to play again and it just keeps getting worse and worse here. I wonder if we will even play at all in September to be honest.

Yukon Joe

Aug 3, 2011
YWG -> YXY -> YEG
Nope. I’m in Alberta Canada and I played a bit July to November (maybe 7 games, 10 stick and puck) then nothing since. I did ODR for a while but now obviously it’s spring. It’s frustrating. I would do anything to play again and it just keeps getting worse and worse here. I wonder if we will even play at all in September to be honest.

Also in Alberta and in the same boat - we were shut down March to July 2020, played until November then nothing since.

I feel mostly confident games will be allowed by the fall - most adults should have 2 doses of vaccines by then. Where I worry is after all that time whether my team is going to fall apart or not, with too many guys dropping out. Or the related fear that since we're such a low-skill team that a lot of guys drop out and are replaced with higher skilled players which makes me feel even more out of place.

Reactions: TurboCat

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC

I’m in northeast BC (Dawson Creek) and haven’t played indoors since March 2020. I too fear September will arrive with no change, as we’ve been a Covid hotspot.

Reactions: TurboCat

beedee

Jan 13, 2014
I'm starting back up in a league on Friday, can't wait! I haven't played beer league in nearly two years, got in a couple stick times last week and one on Saturday. Boy did it feel awkward at first, but then it slowly came back to me. My cardio will be horrible for sure though.

TurboCat

Aug 8, 2020
Also in Alberta and in the same boat - we were shut down March to July 2020, played until November then nothing since.

I feel mostly confident games will be allowed by the fall - most adults should have 2 doses of vaccines by then. Where I worry is after all that time whether my team is going to fall apart or not, with too many guys dropping out. Or the related fear that since we're such a low-skill team that a lot of guys drop out and are replaced with higher skilled players which makes me feel even more out of place.
I totally get it. Saw one of my teammates at work and he’s frustrated. It’s a hard sport to do when you can’t be inside after March. I know it will be a level playing field. I hope you don’t lose your teammates. It’s hard to organize things and find people.

I wish we had courts like they do in the states for roller hockey that won’t ruin your sticks to practice on. But what can you do. I’m just getting antsy. I hope even by the summer our summer league can play... we at least got that a bit least year.

Maineice11

Dec 7, 2006
Maine
This seemed like the best thread to post this to… I play on a hockey team in an adult league and we start up in October and just found out we are pretty light on players. The league is a mix of high school, college, and junior talent levels and is competitive. The rink is in the Bangor, Maine area. This may be a long shot, but figured it was worth a shot. If you are 18+, play hockey or played hockey, and live around the area or are moving to the area or know anyone, send me a message if interested in playing hockey. I’ll share more details through private message.

Bondoao1

Oct 4, 2009
SoCal
My last game was Feb 1 2020, I tore my achilleas tendon about mid 3rd period.
Lucky it was a minor tear and healed fairly quickly.
I was scheduled to play in my first game back on March 21st, but California went into lockdown March 20th, and our local rink informed everyone that they will be closed till further notice.
I'm still waiting on that further notice.

I've played 2 pickup games over the last month since my last post.

Evergreen

I haven't played since the start of the pandemic and it's killing me. I have moved three times since then, bought a house and had a baby, so a lot has changed and I'll have to find a new league once things open up again. With the kid being so young, I've got to be careful, but hopefully by next spring I'll be back on the ice. I'll probably suck though. Every time I take more than a couple months off, my hands and shot seem to get worse and I never get them back.

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad