Are you partial to pro level players in trades this year

lifeisruff

Oct 29, 2009
wny
Especially this year, I would hate to see what we have in Rochester torn up by call ups. This is partially selfish, but I want to win the Calder Cup this year, especially with who we have there right now.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Yeah, definitely. Ideal for me would be trades where we can get back a little futures, and an expiring cap dump to keep Rochester together (I'm assuming we won't be buying serious young roster talent).

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Well yes, in my opinion we should be targeting players that are about 20-21 years old in trades. That said, I voted no because of the way you worded the poll

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
There's nothing we need now that we can't wait to get at the draft.

Also oddly worded poll. It feels like you ask 1 question and then the poll answers a different question.

Do I want to break up Rochester to move players around? No
Do I want pro players back in a trade? Need > else
Do I want prospects or players back in an in season deal? Probably prospects.

Last edited:

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
Especially this year, I would hate to see what we have in Rochester torn up by call ups. This is partially selfish, but I want to win the Calder Cup this year, especially with who we have there right now.

Calder cup is meaningless. Just ask the last Sabres core.

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida
Yes. Definitely.

It speeds up the rebuild. The talent we have in the 22-26 year range is pretty much crap outside of Myers. These are the guys that will be the veterans, leaders, etc when our core talent begins to emege (Reinhart, Risto, Girgs, Grigo, etc). I'd like to acquire some guys that can be part of the future... guys that are 22-26 now, but will be 26-31 when when that previously mentioned core talent is ready to take the next step.

SabresFan26

May 28, 2003
Visit site
Yes. Definitely.

It speeds up the rebuild. The talent we have in the 22-26 year range is pretty much crap outside of Myers. These are the guys that will be the veterans, leaders, etc when our core talent begins to emege (Reinhart, Risto, Girgs, Grigo, etc). I'd like to acquire some guys that can be part of the future... guys that are 22-26 now, but will be 26-31 when when that previously mentioned core talent is ready to take the next step.

Agreed we need to add to that aged "core". But who. Who fits this criteria that we could target.
I look at Danny Briere as a trade that was similar to what we need now as was Drury but who now?

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
If it's a young player with a promising future or if it's a short-term salary dump for a player without any baggage then go for it but I wouldn't aim to acquire NHL players in return simply to keep players in Rochester. The team could always call up the less heralded players like Adam or Varone and leave players like Pysyk and the CGA line intact.

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
Depends. If its a matter of warm bodies on the roster after they sell off UFA's then yes. Not sure how ready the prospects in Rochester will be when the time comes and would rather wait on them instead of rushing. If its about selling off prospects for cap dumps, then no.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I would like to wait until next year or the year after that to address our need for veterans. I'd like to see what we have and what exactly we most need to augment.

This has to be done carefully. No rush. If the right deal presents itself, great, but be smart about it.

mgeise

May 20, 2006
Fargo, ND
They can always pick up some Conacher/D'Agostini/Konopka types on waivers the rest of the year to be able to keep Rochester fairly in tact. The only potential impediment to that is they have 46 contracts including Zadorov, as long as they leave a couple of contract spaces for wiggle room I'm not worried.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

I dont see Rochester getting torn up by call ups.

in any deals I see them getting back players who can play in the AHL in 16/16.

In deadline deals I see Buffalo calling up secondary players not taking the best players away from Rochester.

As for the Calder cup--i wouldnt worry too much. ....

In 15/16 they add: Baptiste, Bailey, Fasching, Compher, Reinhart (possibly), Eichel (possibly if they draft him) Schaller and Armia still have 1 yr left. If they draft some players from europe or USHL in 2015 they could play too.
In 16/17 they add: Florentino, Possler, Cornel, Karabacek, Lemieux, Martin
In 17/18 they add: Peterson, Hurley, Johonssan (these 3 could join in 16/17), Olofsson, other 2015 picks,

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad