Are you not entertained?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
These are the "hard to swallow" pills that separate the real fans from the casuals.

It's all about faith. Some people believe in "God." Some people believe in "the Universe." What we have to believe in are a bunch of humans doing a bunch of human things, making mistakes along the way. Will people still believe in the Red Wings when it's all said and done? Who will be the true believers?

Soooooooooo.... Speaking of pills, did you forget to take any today?

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI

It's quite possible with how many medications the fanbase has been prescribed, thanks to the Wings the last two seasons, to treat:

-Heart disease (specifically high blood pressure)
-Bipolar disorder, depression
-Alcohol abuse and liver ailments

And after reading online I'm pretty sure I'm taking crazy pills.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
I wasn't aware that they started giving out the "You're a Better Fan than I Am" Award.

Each person watches sports how they please. If I really even cared about the stereotypical labels used for fandom, I would wholeheartedly embrace the concept of being a bandwagon fan. If a franchise makes smart decisions and provides me a return on investment, that's a good thing. And if they make stupid decisions that leads to a poor entertainment product, I don't owe them a darn thing. But that's me, and if somebody else wants to "remain through thick and thin", that's completely their choice to do so...

But don't expect me to feel marginalized in any way if I don't share the opinion.

I'm pretty sure that's not what I said, nor did I call anyone out, but feel free to wear the shoe if it fits. My opinion is just as valid as yours...

... isn't it?

So now we're marginalizing the status of mental health in order to not have to actually respond to the statement, and also make a weak attempt at humor?

I thought you were better than that, mate, but it's good to know upon which side you stand.

It's quite possible with how many medications the fanbase has been prescribed, thanks to the Wings the last two seasons, to treat:

-Heart disease (specifically high blood pressure)
-Bipolar disorder, depression
-Alcohol abuse and liver ailments

And after reading online I'm pretty sure I'm taking crazy pills.

Yes, legitimate, potentially life-threatening diseases and medications that are "for the lolz" are great things to poke fun at on the internet, especially when you know your target audience.

Oh wait, you don't.

Have some goddamned tact, people.

Last edited:
Reactions: Perfect Human

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
I'm pretty sure that's not what I said, nor did I call anyone out, but feel free to wear the shoe if it fits. My opinion is just as valid as yours...

... isn't it?

So now we're marginalizing the status of mental health in order to not have to actually respond to the statement, and also make a weak attempt at humor?

I thought you were better than that, mate, but it's good to know upon which side you stand.

Yes, legitimate, potentially life-threatening diseases and medications that are "for the lolz" are great things to poke fun at on the internet, especially when you know your target audience.

Oh wait, you don't.

My attempt at humor was taken directly from this site. I remember someone commented a while back the newest corporate sponsor sold heart medication, haha. All those 3rd period losses. Another was about a drug to stay awake for such boring hockey. My pal at work says the Wings and Packers cause him to drink in excess, always cracks a laugh.

I find HF to be a friendly atmosphere- I wouldn't take anyone too seriously.

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Am I entertained? Yes I love hockey. and if in first or last the Wings are my home town team! I will still watch yes, no I wont pay what they want for tickets prices at the new rink.

Reactions: Dexter Colt

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI

... isn't it?

Oh wait, you don't.

Get over yourself.

Reactions: Flowah

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
My attempt at humor was taken directly from this site. I remember someone commented a while back the newest corporate sponsor sold heart medication, haha. All those 3rd period losses. Another was about a drug to stay awake for such boring hockey. My pal at work says the Wings and Packers cause him to drink in excess, always cracks a laugh.

I find HF to be a friendly atmosphere- I wouldn't take anyone too seriously.

I take everyone completely at their word.

If Bench says he's flipping a table, then by God, I'm assuming that somewhere in this world is a table that is now upside down.

Reactions: Winger98

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I take everyone completely at their word.

If Bench says he's flipping a table, then by God, I'm assuming that somewhere in this world is a table that is now upside down.
In that case, I hear it's raining cats and dogs outside. :D

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Benchy-poo, this is a reality check; as a collective, you can clamor for a rebuild and a year or seven of suckage all you want.

These are the "hard to swallow" pills that separate the real fans from the casuals. Will you still be a "fan" 5 years down the road when the Wings have become the Oilers of the mid-2000s? What does it take to turn it around? What will it take to make people believe again?
It will take a roster that can contend for a cup for people to believe that roster can contend for a cup.

Also, the disdain for "casual" fans by "hardcore" fans is ridiculous. There are fans of every type. You aren't a "better" fan if you are more "dedicated". You just are. Let people enjoy things the way that makes them happy, as long as it isn't hurting anyone.

It's all about faith. Some people believe in "God." Some people believe in "the Universe." What we have to believe in are a bunch of humans doing a bunch of human things, making mistakes along the way. Will people still believe in the Red Wings when it's all said and done? Who will be the true believers? Who will be the bandwagoneers?
I don't understand what you are saying, here.

I, for one, live in North Carolina. The Hurricanes are poised to be a good team after years of suck. I could easily turn tail and be a 'Canes fan because I was born and raised here. My entire family, however, is from Detroit. 9 Mile. Wayne State. St. Clair Shores. Fraser. I still have family there. My roots are in Michigan. Doesn't it suck in the middle of a rebuild? Could things have gone a more proactive route? Yes, and many will jump ship. Many will say, "Well ****, the Wings suck now, I'll cheer for _______ because they don't."

To them I say, "Good riddance." Take those "hard to swallow" pills and shove 'em where the pie goes. You wanted this cat ass trophy? You've got it. Can you deal with it now after 25 years of excellence?
Like I said before, people should enjoy things the way that makes them happy, as long as it isn't hurting anyone. None of us should care if some people jump ship, but none of us should be vindictive about it in any way.

Me? I will always be a Wings fan. But I will always be a Wings fan that values my time, so I will not automitically watch every game from start to finish just because of my fandom. There shouldn't be anything wrong with that. And if people watch fewer games because the product is terrible, there shouldn't be anything wrong with that, either.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Also, the disdain for "casual" fans by "hardcore" fans is ridiculous
I'm reminded of something I read about League of Legends, one of the most popular and successful games in the business and with a huge player base.

Its success is *not* due to the hardcore fans or players who watch every e-sports match or follow the players/teams or place really highly in ranked matches. In fact the vast majority of the playerbase are extremely casual. They don't even play ranked. They play normal queue with other casual players where the stakes are as low as they can be. If you eliminated all these "casual" fans and players, the game would not exist. The e-sports league for the game would not exist. You cannot have a successful sport or franchise without huge throngs of casual fans. You cannot build a successful sport or franchise with JUST hardcore fans.

To show contempt and disdain for those fans who aren't as into the sport as you are is self-defeating. If you drive them off, you're going to lose your sport or franchise because you and other hardcore fans alone are not enough to sustain the business model.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I'm reminded of something I read about League of Legends, one of the most popular and successful games in the business and with a huge player base.

Its success is *not* due to the hardcore fans or players who watch every e-sports match or follow the players/teams or place really highly in ranked matches. In fact the vast majority of the playerbase are extremely casual. They don't even play ranked. They play normal queue with other casual players where the stakes are as low as they can be. If you eliminated all these "casual" fans and players, the game would not exist. The e-sports league for the game would not exist. You cannot have a successful sport or franchise without huge throngs of casual fans. You cannot build a successful sport or franchise with JUST hardcore fans.

To show contempt and disdain for those fans who aren't as into the sport as you are is self-defeating. If you drive them off, you're going to lose your sport or franchise because you and other hardcore fans alone are not enough to sustain the business model.
No matter how much I was against it, the previous few years of prolonging the playoff streak was built upon this very phenomenon.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
It will take a roster that can contend for a cup for people to believe that roster can contend for a cup.

Also, the disdain for "casual" fans by "hardcore" fans is ridiculous. There are fans of every type. You aren't a "better" fan if you are more "dedicated". You just are. Let people enjoy things the way that makes them happy, as long as it isn't hurting anyone.

I don't understand what you are saying, here.

Like I said before, people should enjoy things the way that makes them happy, as long as it isn't hurting anyone. None of us should care if some people jump ship, but none of us should be vindictive about it in any way.

Me? I will always be a Wings fan. But I will always be a Wings fan that values my time, so I will not automitically watch every game from start to finish just because of my fandom. There shouldn't be anything wrong with that. And if people watch fewer games because the product is terrible, there shouldn't be anything wrong with that, either.
Great post.

Though I would like to point out that as one of the few people here old enough to have faithfully watched them during the Dead Wings era before their decades of success, I am clearly the BEST fan. :D

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Great post.

Though I would like to point out that as one of the few people here old enough to have faithfully watched them during the Dead Wings era before their decades of success, I am clearly the BEST fan. :D

Lol.

I basically started watching right when the 25 year playoff streak started. Basically whenever they finally took it off PASS sports and had it on 50/UPN. We never had PASS when I was young, so I didn't get to see those, but only national broadcasts and any simulcasts they did on local broadcast channels. Would have been 6 in 1990. 4 year old me was a huge nerd (and not much has changed in the intervening 30 years), so back then I just read the newspaper and got my sports knowledge.

By the way, Tim Cheveldae sucked balls. First goalie I've literally seen booed out of a city. Wings fans just turned on him and he was DONE.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Real Red Wings fans quiz here though.

Who is the worst goalie that the Wings have had since 1990 and why is it Bob Essensa?

E: Holy crap, I just noticed he only actually has 13 official games with Detroit. It felt WAY longer than that.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Lol.

I basically started watching right when the 25 year playoff streak started. Basically whenever they finally took it off PASS sports and had it on 50/UPN. We never had PASS when I was young, so I didn't get to see those, but only national broadcasts and any simulcasts they did on local broadcast channels. Would have been 6 in 1990. 4 year old me was a huge nerd (and not much has changed in the intervening 30 years), so back then I just read the newspaper and got my sports knowledge.

By the way, Tim Cheveldae sucked balls. First goalie I've literally seen booed out of a city. Wings fans just turned on him and he was DONE.
You got on at the right time! I started seriously watching as a kid the year they named Yzerman captain. I guess one of the upsides of being an old fan is it gives some perspective, especially when you've seen the team by terrible.

Like with the endless goalie wars here (which have died down now that the team is a dumpster fire). I remember when people were arguing Hanlon vs. Stefan. It never ends.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Real Red Wings fans quiz here though.

Who is the worst goalie that the Wings have had since 1990 and why is it Bob Essensa?

E: Holy crap, I just noticed he only actually has 13 official games with Detroit. It felt WAY longer than that.
For all the goaltending conversations these days, that era was downright brutal in net. Greg Stefan, Glen Hanlon, Tim Cheveldae, Bob Essensa...between injuries and awful play, there was very little to like about Red Wing goalies.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
There's literally no other alternative. This is the beginning of every successful rebuild. Not every team rebuilds well, but all successful rebuilds start with this.

TheOctopusKid

Sep 24, 2010
Full confession - I'm more excited and entertained by this team than I have been since the 2009 Season.

I know they are bad. And they are playing poor hockey right now but this season feels like a new beginning in a sense; an opportunity to grow with what could be a new generation of Wings players where there is a ton of opportunity and a world of what ifs.

The Wings from 10-17 were far better teams than this current iteration but each progressive year felt like poor imitation or shadow of the previous year. It was hard to get excited about, at best, a second round exit. It was obvious that those teams lacked the sheer potential upside to win it all. They were the worst possible thing in sports; a declining mediocre team that wasn't good enough to attract an impact free agent or bad enough to be awarded the opportunity to draft an impact prospect.

Instead, they atrophied and we found ourselves trying to talk up the potential impact of Sundin, Weiss, Modano, or Richards. We had to justify why premier free agents who once took pay cuts to play for Detroit were now ignoring Holland's phone calls or ducking him the lobby of a hotel. We would grow overly optimistic of every late draft pick would blossom into the next great superstar to revive the franchise but the outside shot of that was as likely as Pulkkinen slapshot hitting the net.

Those teams, those years, were not entertaining because in none of those years, did they realistically have a shot at winning the championship OR improving on the year prior. It was another year older, another year with a stopgap signing to replace what was a once productive position and another roll of the dice to hope that something would happen with a weak prospect pool who received little playing time in meaningful roles in a veteran ladened team.

Now? The worst has happened. They've bottomed out. They are a bad team with limited prospects. But honestly, at this point, there is nowhere to go but up and part of the fun is watching them figure it out and find a way to be better than are and I think that's the difference for me. The last decade was watching a team that was interested in trying not to lose versus watching a team with nothing to lose, trying to figure out how to win.

We finish the worst record in the league? Great. Hello, Jack Hughes! Now, for the first time since Yzerman, I get to have a 18 year old superstar to cheer on and argue with EDM and TOR that he's the best young center in the league! Can't wait. We finished 28th at the end of the year? Fantastic. Better than I would have guessed and I bet it was because our kids started playing better and began to find the path forward and that's entertaining to watch. Maybe the find out they are a up-tempo, crash the net style team or they found a better rhythm as with cycling puck possession or maybe they are secretly a great defensive team that shuts out top scoring teams and grinds out goals. Who knows? A world of possibilities as that's exciting to me.

Obviously, the pinnacle of sports fandom is watching your team work hard and win a championship and we are light years away from that. But watching them grow and build momentum game after game, season after season, is part of the fun and makes the championship all that more rewarding.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
Hey what's the point of this thread? A rebuilding team with half it's defense injured is bad... no kidding.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reactions: Heaton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad