Are you happy with the Domi trade?

Are you happy with the Domi trade?

• Total voters

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
What was the penguins rumor? They made an offer, too?
One of Rust or Sheary and Dominik Simon. Two for one. The Penguins reportedly were surprised to find he was dealt because they thaiught that deal was close enough to get it done and expected to land him. Which is pathetic and disgusting. Very glad Galchenyuk was available.

rt

May 13, 2004
There was apparently an offer on the table for Sheary or Rust + another guy for Domi.
Source: Penguins Surprised, Made Strong Offer for Max Domi
Obviously Galchenyuk is a better deal.

Supposedly Chayka had been working the Galchenyuk angle for at least 3 months. Not as long as he was after Stepan but interesting that yet another one of those came to fruition.

I'm guessing Chayka would have done Domi for Chucky at the TDL but Montreal wanted a +. They probably gave in.
Montreal wanted to hide this. This would have been a huge blockbuster at the TDL. They did it the Friday night (10pm) the week BEFORE draft week when they have the 3rd overall pick.

Draft frenzy is about to kick into overdrive. They’ll have dealt with backlash over dealing Galchenyuk for a total of 4 business days when they make their selection at #3 and the entire hockey world forgets about this deal.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Montreal wanted to hide this. This would have been a huge blockbuster at the TDL. They did it the Friday night (10pm) the week BEFORE draft week when they have the 3rd overall pick.

Draft frenzy is about to kick into overdrive. They’ll have dealt with backlash over dealing Galchenyuk for a total of 4 business days when they make their selection at #3 and the entire hockey world forgets about this deal.
Yeah. A Friday night off-season trade is about as a deliberate attempt to bury the story as you can have.

Reactions: CC96

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
The Penguins reportedly were surprised to find he was dealt because they thaiught that deal was close enough to get it done and expected to land him. Which is pathetic and disgusting.

I think it would have gotten it done if another offer hadn't come in before draft day and this thread would read a whole lot different :laugh:. Reminds me a little bit of how Maloney dodged a bullet when Ribeiro didn't waive his NTC and he was set to move him with a huge sweetener just to get him off the books. Montreal came riding in almost at the last minute.

Now we can potentially see Domi's value salvaged in another player as opposed to some stuff.

Reactions: _Del_

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
This would have been a huge blockbuster at the TDL.
Yeah. A Friday night off-season trade is about as a deliberate attempt to bury the story as you can have.

I don't think this reads like an organization that deliberately put off trading him months ago to bury it without other factors like asking for more in return.

It's possible this entered their thinking once the offseason started but their FO doesn't strike me as all that competent enough to have drawn this out intentionally since February.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think this reads like an organization that deliberately put off trading him months ago to bury it without other factors like asking for more in return.

It's possible this entered their thinking once the offseason started but their FO doesn't strike me as all that competent enough to have drawn this out intentionally since February.

It's the off-season. There is only 1reason to announce it Friday at 9 PM local (Montreal) time. They wanted to minimize as much negative press as possible. If you don't believe that was intentional I have a bridge to want to sell you.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
It's the off-season. There is only 1reason to announce it Friday at 9 PM local (Montreal) time. If you don't believe that was intentional I have a bridge to want to sell you.

I am saying that they probably did not deviously start planning to bury this trade 3 months ago at 9PM local time a week before the draft not that the Friday news dump wasn't intentional.
Certainly Chayka wasn't playing along with that if Pittsburgh felt the deal was close.

rt

May 13, 2004
I am saying that they probably did not deviously start planning to bury this trade 3 months ago at 9PM local time a week before the draft not that the Friday news dump wasn't intentional.
Certainly Chayka wasn't playing along with that if Pittsburgh felt the deal was close.
I think they absolutely did. They figured if Arizona wasn’t going to sweeten the pot considerably it wouldn’t be worth the heat they’d take at the TDL. Now that the situation presented itself with a fire suit, they were willing to do the 1:1. There’s wasn’t a handshake or anything. They probably said, “I’d take Domi in the offseason, but I’m not trading Galchenyuk in the fire storm that is the TDL for Domi alone”. That’s not devious, it’s just self preservation.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
If you told me two years ago we would have Stepan, Galchenyuk and Hjarlmasson on this roaster I would have pulled out the ol' vuvuzela and took to the streets. Chayka has pulled off some pretty amazing moves, this season we really need to be pushing for a playoff spot and he knows it.

Gwyddbwyll

Dec 24, 2002
It's fascinating to go back and look at the 2012 draft again to see how careers are panning out. I remember all the debate over Galchenyuk, Grigorenko and Girgensons in particular. Galchenyuk has the most NHL points out of that class so far, its certainly not often you can get that in trade.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
Anyone think there is a second shoe to drop on this trade and on draft day we could see a swap of #5+ for #3? That is a trade that probably does not go down until draft day itself. I do not recall draft trades like that ever occurring before the draft itself. Depending on how that goes, we may see the trade balance out a bit.

I.E. Domi, #5, and ??? for Galchenyuk, #3

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
No idea when decision was made by Montreal that they would accept this deal but their acceptance was timed to minimize negative press. There is no other reason to announce this on Friday night during the off season unless you are actively trying. To screw with the media.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Anyone think there is a second shoe to drop on this trade and on draft day we could see a swap of #5+ for #3? That is a trade that probably does not go down until draft day itself. I do not recall draft trades like that ever occurring before the draft itself. Depending on how that goes, we may see the trade balance out a bit.

I.E. Domi, #5, and ??? for Galchenyuk, #3
Nope. I think it would have already happened. Actually a few months ago I suggested a package of 5 and Domi+ for 3 and Galchenyuk. I just thought that was a pipe dream given all the flack Domi was receiving for his goal totals.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That was me and he is. Pompous as they come. Could be an age and money thing, though. The handful of times I ever had interaction with him, which was his rookie year, he thought he was the ****, all the while, Domingue, Duclair, OEL and Schenn were as humble as ever.

To break it down, in a better perspective, he wasnt tolerated very well with more than a handful of players. He and Chychrun became boys after Chychrun arrived with nowhere to go, hence why he lived with Domi. I am not sure if you all are followers of these guys on social media, but you wont see a whole lot of player interaction when it comes to Domi like you do the other guys. Duclair had a similar problem, but without the "I am better than you" attitude. As with everything though, things and people change and this was a few years ago, so who knows. But, I am sure we have all worked with and or had friends that thought they were better than anyone in all aspects and I am sure, like most, we weren't real fond of.

I am not going to try and convince you Domi was one way or another, but you can create your own guess as to why he was shown the door, or wanted that "fresh start."

Welcome aboard Galchenyuk.
Interesting. I value your input and you probably know the team more than most who post here.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
It took a while but I'm coming around to this trade. We are desperate for goal scorers and a top line center. They rolled the dice on this one hoping to at least fill one need with an outside shot of filling two. The reasons I didn't like it still exists. We're SOFT and worse off in that category now. I also think many of our young guys like Domi still have room to improve once (hopefully) the team adds more talent. It's hard to judge these guys playing for what has been a pathetic, low talent, poorly run team for at least half a decade which cover all the years our recent top pics have been on the team. Also, two years until he has a chance to bolt isn't very appealing considering the owner's lack of financial stability.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Great point. Apart from being a fan boy, the biggest reason I didn’t want to trade Domi was because his value was bottomed out. The Penguins rumor is exactly what I feared. I didn’t expect this kind of return. An equal player. I expected a pile of less valuable assets (see; nearly worthless). So as much as I WANT to hate this trade out of habit, Chayka did well I think.
I didn't want to trade Domi because I thought he would be traded for a 27-29 yo. vet, but getting a better player at the same age bracket is fine by me.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I’m happy about the trade.

More nervous how we are going to utilize Dvorak and Strome though
More competition the better. Let the cream rise to the top. I hope Strome see's this as a threat and has an amazing off season.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
If you told me two years ago we would have Stepan, Galchenyuk and Hjarlmasson on this roaster I would have pulled out the ol' vuvuzela and took to the streets. Chayka has pulled off some pretty amazing moves, this season we really need to be pushing for a playoff spot and he knows it.
Had no idea it was called that. Thanks to yourself and google, I have become less ignorant and therefore more educated. :laugh:

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Nope. I think it would have already happened. Actually a few months ago I suggested a package of 5 and Domi+ for 3 and Galchenyuk. I just thought that was a pipe dream given all the flack Domi was receiving for his goal totals.
Yeah I know. You have thought for awhile that Domi would be traded. Good call.:thumbu:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
On paper Chayka has done some amazing things, but so far it has not translated to the ice. I think it will this year. We have to make the playoffs this year.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Interesting. I value your input and you probably know more than most who post here.

I've learned that if you try to like athletes away from what they do playing for the team, you'll be disappointed more times than not. I'd imagine Domi was idolized by his peers because of his dad as much or more than his talent growing up which inflated his ego even more. Certainly if they are pricks it's easier to see them go. I admired what he did on the ice, his talent, toughness and what he did backing up his teammates. It's not like I was going to buy him a beer if I ever saw him at a bar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad