Are you happy with the Domi trade?

Are you happy with the Domi trade?

• Total voters

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Sniper said:
There are a lot of tradeoffs on this deal. It changes the makeup of the roster a lot...

I don't think it's an accident that we have had immense turn over in the room. Whether it is habits or attitudes or just an effort to make a clean break, there seems to be an effort to lop off the old crowd. Even guys like Martinook and Rieder whose trades accomplished little purpose-- other than turning over the room.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
If you asked me right after I heard about it I would've said no. But after separating my fandom for Domi, and reading more takes I quite like this trade. Even if Domi and Galch are about the same quality of player they have different skillsets and Galch's helps to diversify our roster. Adding a goal scorer who can play C for a feisty playmaker helps us when we already have an amazing playmaker in Keller. Yes we lost some grit in Domi and that will be missed it is easier to find someone who adds that than someone who can score 30 goals. And who knows, come draft day we may have our replacement in Tkachuk.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Voted no, because I'll never be happy with a quality person like Domi leaving the organization. Doesn't make it a bad trade. It will in all likelihood favor the Coyotes. But I don't have to be thrilled about it. Same as Yandle and Hanzal trades.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
I'll vote Yes on the premise that Max asked for a trade. We don't know that he did, just kinda seems like did.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Voted no, because I'll never be happy with a quality person like Domi leaving the organization. Doesn't make it a bad trade. It will in all likelihood favor the Coyotes. But I don't have to be thrilled about it. Same as Yandle and Hanzal trades.
I can't recall who it was, but some one said to rt that if it made the trade easier, Domi was a p---- of a person. Not sure who posted that, but maybe who ever did had more insight than you or I. I believe it was SR, but don't hold me to it.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
It is one of those trades you have to give to get . It stings on both sides.. As mentioned above , I like who we are getting , but hate giving up the person we did. Happy that as also mentioned that if we had to get rid of him we were able get who we did , I wouldn't have thought we could get AG straight up.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
Would like to know...is the eventual plan for galchenyuk to center keller? Or does spot go to stepan? I understand the yotes want to ease strome into the position so he can play exploitive mins as the third line center.

Reactions: Conor Clancey

SpaceCoyote

Jul 10, 2013
Wasting away
I'll vote Yes on the premise that Max asked for a trade. We don't know that he did, just kinda seems like did.

I agree, I think it's hard to judge definitively without knowledge of Domi's potential interactions with internal management. Is this the result of the team losing faith in a loyal player or was this the result of Domi wanting to play for a bigger market. I really hope for our management's sake that Chayka wouldn't be entertaining deals like that rumored from Pittsburgh without some sort of inflicted urgency.

Last edited:

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Would like to know...is the eventual plan for galchenyuk to center keller? Or does spot go to stepan? I understand the yotes want to ease strome into the position so he can play exploitive mins as the third line center.
It would be foolish to not try a creative playmaker like Keller with a finisher like Galchenyuk. At the very least expect them to try the pair on the PP.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It would be foolish to not try a creative playmaker like Keller with a finisher like Galchenyuk. At the very least expect them to try the pair on the PP.
Can't wait to see that one timer. During the playoffs Ovechkin just stood there and waited for the pass so he could one time it. Other teams knew it was coming but could not stop it. Keller or Strome feeding Galchenyuk gives me goose bumps.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I can't recall who it was, but some one said to rt that if it made the trade easier, Domi was a p---- of a person. Not sure who posted that, but maybe who ever did had more insight than you or I. I believe it was SR, but don't hold me to it.

That was me and he is. Pompous as they come. Could be an age and money thing, though. The handful of times I ever had interaction with him, which was his rookie year, he thought he was the shit, all the while, Domingue, Duclair, OEL and Schenn were as humble as ever.

To break it down, in a better perspective, he wasnt tolerated very well with more than a handful of players. He and Chychrun became boys after Chychrun arrived with nowhere to go, hence why he lived with Domi. I am not sure if you all are followers of these guys on social media, but you wont see a whole lot of player interaction when it comes to Domi like you do the other guys. Duclair had a similar problem, but without the "I am better than you" attitude. As with everything though, things and people change and this was a few years ago, so who knows. But, I am sure we have all worked with and or had friends that thought they were better than anyone in all aspects and I am sure, like most, we weren't real fond of.

I am not going to try and convince you Domi was one way or another, but you can create your own guess as to why he was shown the door, or wanted that "fresh start."

Welcome aboard Galchenyuk.

Last edited:

BOGO

Oct 20, 2017
That was me and he is. Pompous as they come. Could be an age and money thing, though. The handful of times I ever had interaction with him, which was his rookie year, he thought he was the ****, all the while, Duclair, Domingue, Duclair, OEL and Schenn were as humble as ever.

To break it down, in a better perspective, he wasnt tolerated very well with more than a handful of players. He and Chychrun became boys after Chychrun arrived with nowhere to go, hence why he lived with Domi. I am not sure if you all are followers of these guys on social media, but you wont see a whole lot of player interaction when it comes to Domi like you do the other guys. Duclair had a similar problem, but without the "I am better than you" attitude. As with everything though, things and people change and this was a few years ago, so who knows. But, I am sure we have all worked with and or had friends that thought they were better than anyone in all aspects and I am sure, like most, we weren't real fond of.

I am not going to try and convince you Domi was one way or another, but you can create your own guess as to why he was shown the door, or wanted that "fresh start."

I can second this description based on second hand information. I know it doesn't really do any good at this point, but I had recently heard similar things and that is when I started to change my tune about trading Domi. I hate trading Domi, but I think this is probably a deal that makes the Coyotes better and that is frankly amazing considering the past two seasons for Domi.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I hate trading Domi, but I think this is probably a deal that makes the Coyotes better and that is frankly amazing considering the past two seasons for Domi.
Great point. Apart from being a fan boy, the biggest reason I didn’t want to trade Domi was because his value was bottomed out. The Penguins rumor is exactly what I feared. I didn’t expect this kind of return. An equal player. I expected a pile of less valuable assets (see; nearly worthless). So as much as I WANT to hate this trade out of habit, Chayka did well I think.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Great point. Apart from being a fan boy, the biggest reason I didn’t want to trade Domi was because his value was bottomed out. The Penguins rumor is exactly what I feared. I didn’t expect this kind of return. An equal player. I expected a pile of less valuable assets (see; nearly worthless). So as much as I WANT to hate this trade out of habit, Chayka did well I think.

What was the penguins rumor? They made an offer, too?

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We got the better player that might be able to play C, whats not to like? You have to give to get and the only winger I wouldn't trade is Keller. Wingers like Domi, 3rd liner/maybe 2nd, are easy to replace and a dime a dozen, we won't miss him at all on the ice.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
What was the penguins rumor? They made an offer, too?

There was apparently an offer on the table for Sheary or Rust + another guy for Domi.
Source: Penguins Surprised, Made Strong Offer for Max Domi
Obviously Galchenyuk is a better deal.

Supposedly Chayka had been working the Galchenyuk angle for at least 3 months. Not as long as he was after Stepan but interesting that yet another one of those came to fruition.

I'm guessing Chayka would have done Domi for Chucky at the TDL but Montreal wanted a +. They probably gave in.

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I'm good with it, I liked Domi as a player and all but I never had that same feeling that rt had towards him. In fact I was against drafting him at the time but later warmed up to it. To be fair though, when I saw the trade my instant reaction was "WTF, this is bad" but that lasted all of 10 seconds before thinking about it.

Reactions: Sthlmyote

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
That was me and he is. Pompous as they come. Could be an age and money thing, though. The handful of times I ever had interaction with him, which was his rookie year, he thought he was the ****, all the while, Domingue, Duclair, OEL and Schenn were as humble as ever.

Like I said in an earlier post - he thinks his shit Doan stink.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad