Are you happy with the Domi trade?

Are you happy with the Domi trade?

• Total voters

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Should we have a meh option or is that against the spirit of forcing a choice?
Cause I'm pretty much at meh.
I don't think one player or the other is a stronger break out candidate.
I like that Galchenyuk shoots the puck and maybe probably not can play center effectively so it's good from a roster composition point of view.
I don't like that this team which was already stupid soft is now even softer.

Gun to my head I'd pick yes.

Reactions: BigJCaRoach

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I’m not sure how to add the meh, but absolutely we can. I imagine that may be the consensus pick, though.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I’d say this is a trade that could end up helping both teams..... or a complete bust. But neither team is going to be worse off for it.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
We can add that to the next poll on deciding Galchenyuk’s official nickname.

Seen 3 different ones already. “Meh” would make an interesting choice.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Consensus on the forum is Tkachuk is going to go too early because people overrate jam and size compared to skill level.

We trade undersized jam for a guy that clearly generates more offense and might even actually play center, and consensus is so-so on the trade.

I really do love Domi as a player, so I get we're all attached, but it's hard for me to see the negatives with this deal.

FinnishCoyote

Jan 3, 2017
I'm happy with the trade, but man it is tough see next season that Max is no longer Coyote. I really hope this deal works for both sides, or atleast for us and Domi. Max will always be one of my favorites.

Reactions: Jmmack

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Yes, I'm fine with it. Domi looked pretty rough and less engaged last season. I think Glachenyuk will be a nice addition. Perhaps Domi will end up the better player in the long run, but we definitely needed some scoring and Domi seemed to have lost that a bit.

Reactions: Fixxer

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
The 2013 draft video and his "sick, eh? Phoenix?" quote sticks out.

That filthy snipe against Toronto when he scored his first game back in Ontario and his dad was there.

When he absolutely dummied Ryan Kesler in the video Sauna posted earlier.

Max was my first draft as a Coyotes fan (watched from the Scottsdale Ice Den bar) so he was always, like, existentially tied to being an adopted Arizonan. Galchenyuk has a special skill set, you've gotta give to get, but ouch.

Voted yes, but there's like a whiny inflection to the yes that's hard to articulate haha.

Edit: absolutely stunned to see Yes winning 17-1.

Second edit: lots of the conflicted yesses ... guess that makes sense.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Consensus on the forum is Tkachuk is going to go too early because people overrate jam and size compared to skill level.

We trade undersized jam for a guy that clearly generates more offense and might even actually play center, and consensus is so-so on the trade.

I really do love Domi as a player, so I get we're all attached, but it's hard for me to see the negatives with this deal.
Because Galchenyuk is also filled with warts. The Devil you Know, man.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If we had some reason that made trading Domi a necessity, this is the best return I could conceive of for a Domi with his value tanked.
Domi has not been the same since he injured his hand. Like Domi, but I like Gally more. Awhile back when I read that Gally was available I thought the Yotes might trade Strome for him. I would rather give up Domi than Strome. This may end up a good hockey trade for both teams.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He was as good as gone from November or December. We'll never know why. But keeping the devil we know obviously wasn't an option.

I didn't think we'd get this much. The other rumoured "close" deal from Pittsburgh was garbage. He was highly "available" . He scored 5 goals facing a goalie last year. He didn't make it to ten total either of the last two seasons. He isn't the same player post-hand-injury. Hopefully, he rebounds next season.

If I was a Habs fan, I'd be livid. This is as good as we could expect in the devil you don't know category. The devil we knew was not an option.

Reactions: Jakey53

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Most players are traded because they have warts. Most players have warts. When Duke was traded we were all pissed and could not believe why he wasn't given more ice time etc. That trade opened many eyes, and Duke is still having the same problems with Chicago. Someone posted that Domi was a p----. Not sure if that is true or not, but I still wise him success.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Funny you should mention warts. As the panel of NHL Tonight tried to make any sense as to just why Montreal would do this, Kevin Weeks said the organization is always looking for warts. And that they Doan seem to understand all players have warts and teams need to adapt. From there the theme was basically: identify warts and purge. Funny thing is they always lose in the purge, as indicated by their graphic and verbalized by Weeks and Reeder.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
If i was a Habs fan, I would be cautiously optimistic. Domi was nearly a point-per-game toward the end of the season. Still finished 3rd in scoring on our team last year. And ALL of us know that we were abysmal for most of that until the players learned Chayka's system. They got a gem of a person, and a good hockey player. I hope he does great things.

With that said, I believe this was a great, great hockey deal.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
Funny you should mention warts. As the panel of NHL Tonight tried to make any sense as to just why Montreal would do this, Kevin Weeks said the organization is always looking for warts. And that they Doan seem to understand all players have warts and teams need to adapt. From there the theme was basically: identify warts and purge. Funny thing is they always lose in the purge, as indicated by their graphic and verbalized by Weeks and Reeder.

I swear, i'm not even poking fun at you, did you change your auto-correct settings on your phone/computer to change "don't" to "Doan?"

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
but it's hard for me to see the negatives with this deal.
This is as good as we could expect in the devil you don't know category. The devil we knew was not an option.

I don't think there are more negatives than positives. But there definitely are negatives.

Domi is the superior 5 on 5 player. Galchenyuk might generate more offensive in a vacuum but half of it comes on the power play. That's good because we need players who are good at the PP. That's bad because it's very much unclear Galchenyuk can translate that same success on our garbage PP scheme. Montreal had a >20% PP, their team might suck but they know what they are doing in that aspect of the game.

If we get 100% of Galchenyuk's value 5 on 5 and say 50% of his PP capability we actually lost in raw numbers vs Domi last season even with his wet noodle arm shot.

There are a lot of tradeoffs on this deal. It changes the makeup of the roster a lot and we saw as the season went on the roster was not the October/November team. Players like Keller who thrived early were not saddled with prior baggage. Just about everyone else had to adjust. You can't completely throw it out, but it needs to be taken into consideration. Galchenyuk now gets to experience the same thing, hopefully on an abbreviated timetable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad