Are you glad we’re in?

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
where are you planning on going or what are you doing?

I don't know about Canada, but in the US RV/camper sales are seeing a huge spike. People will be avoiding airports and instead hitting the road.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't know about Canada, but in the US RV/camper sales are seeing a huge spike. People will be avoiding airports and instead hitting the road.
Are the parks open?

I don’t think NHL players are excited to go RVing.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Are the parks open?

State parks in my area are open. National parks are beggining to open, and then there are the thousands of private campgrounds.

NHL players seem to like boating... lots of options.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
But I bet they are in Kelowna, Muskoka, and the such. They aren't in their parent's basement.
Cottage life and RV life are two different things. But I get your point. If I had a cabin at the lake like these guys do I would miss that. Over half the league will get a chance to be their by mid August. And 75% in September. It’s not entirely lost.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Cottage life and RV life are two different things. But I get your point. If I had a cabin at the lake like these guys do I would miss that. Over half the league will get a chance to be their by mid August. And 75% in September. It’s not entirely lost.
There is much to iron out yet. I dont see players agreeing to leave their families for 2 months unless the NHL proves the financial loss to them. No idea why they aren't pitching a City for players and Families?? Why leave your Families when everyday you interact with arena staff, hotel staff, restaurant staff , and so on.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
There is much to iron out yet. I dont see players agreeing to leave their families for 2 months unless the NHL proves the financial loss to them. No idea why they aren't pitching a City for players and Families?? Why leave your Families when everyday you interact with arena staff, hotel staff, restaurant staff , and so on.
Just cut the league a check for Another 20% of their gross salary and they can have the summer off no problem. Escrow estimates start at 35% if they don’t finish what’s been laid out. They just gave up their last pay check and already had 15% of their gross taken off the top.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Just cut the league a check for Another 20% of their gross salary and they can have the summer off no problem. Escrow estimates start at 35% if they don’t finish what’s been laid out. They just gave up their last pay check and already had 15% of their gross taken off the top.
I don't think it's that simple. I have heard Lebrun talk that the loss is between 350 and 500 million if they dont play. I would assume there is also an enormous cost to play in a couple of hub cities. And I don't see them adding much revenue aside from getting to keep broadcast money. It just isn't simple but I think barring major outbreaks it will get done.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Perhaps you shouldn't give "that lady" her howl-button. :naughty:

F40 could coordinate our virtual cheers. Say we all agree to "howl" at 10:36 of P1...no matter what is happening on the ice....players would be like "what the hell"

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
It would be bubble hockey...

upload_2020-5-27_11-0-29.jpeg

Reactions: Dirty Old Man

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
An RV is a cottage on wheels.
Have you been implying that the players are complaining about playing and missing out on their summer? My original post was directed at the fans with a nod at the irony, having called out the AZ attendance for so many years.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Agree with @Jamieh a bit on this one. I usually watch as much of the playoffs as I can and I'll definitely watch the Coyotes this summer but can't see myself sitting inside the cottage a lot to watch Oilers vs Blackhawks, for example. Gotta soak up the nice weather here when we can.

Reactions: lanky

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I don't think it's that simple. I have heard Lebrun talk that the loss is between 350 and 500 million if they dont play. I would assume there is also an enormous cost to play in a couple of hub cities. And I don't see them adding much revenue aside from getting to keep broadcast money. It just isn't simple but I think barring major outbreaks it will get done.
$1.2+Billion is the number I’m hearing discussed on the NHL network. Players in book for half as per the CBA. That equates out roughly to a 35% escrow or an additional 20% to what they have already had withheld. By playing they drop that number to roughly 28%. They also gave up their last pay check which probably drops it closer to 25%. Thats napkin math but it’s not far off.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
An RV is a cottage on wheels.
Have you been implying that the players are complaining about playing and missing out on their summer? My original post was directed at the fans with a nod at the irony, having called out the AZ attendance for so many years.
I was responding to the potential complaints of players that they are giving up their summer to come back and finish playins/playoffs.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Agree with @Jamieh a bit on this one. I usually watch as much of the playoffs as I can and I'll definitely watch the Coyotes this summer but can't see myself sitting inside the cottage a lot to watch Oilers vs Blackhawks, for example. Gotta soak up the nice weather here when we can.
But in fairness that’s how we feel every May/June while the playoffs are on.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Any way we could adjust the title to make this the official post-season thread? Hard to know where to talk about the upcoming series @TheLegend

Probably will GDT the series (unless Sniper beats me to it). We’re still a ways off from it.

Could adjust the title here though to make it a pre-series thread.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I was responding to the potential complaints of players that they are giving up their summer to come back and finish playins/playoffs.
Nobody said anything about the players in that regard??

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
$1.2+Billion is the number I’m hearing discussed on the NHL network. Players in book for half as per the CBA. That equates out roughly to a 35% escrow or an additional 20% to what they have already had withheld. By playing they drop that number to roughly 28%. They also gave up their last pay check which probably drops it closer to 25%. Thats napkin math but it’s not far off.
Isn't the NHL a $6 billion League? So that money you suggested is 20% of League revenue. Why would players have to give up 35% of salary for a 20% revenue shortage? Dubnyk stated yesterday he wants the League to prove the numbers as part of his decision making as an example.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Isn't the NHL a $6 billion League? So that money you suggested is 20% of League revenue. Why would players have to give up 35% of salary for a 20% revenue shortage? Dubnyk stated yesterday he wants the League to prove the numbers as part of his decision making as an example.
I can only comment on the numbers they keep discussing on the NHL network on XM. They use 35%.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
So let's say the draft lottery goes and the top 3 spots are still available for the 8 losers in the playin round. Would you rather move on to face high seed or have a 3 out of 8 chance at a top 3 pick?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad