OT: Are you embarrassed to be a Senators fan right now?

What kind of poll does this thread deserve?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
No. Just sad. Tough to see your kids upset about their team, but there you go, it sucks right now, but things will become more clear as far as where this team is going in the next few weeks.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
The Leafs have been crap for 50 years despite having bucket loads of cash to spend on players , coaches, management, the IR etc. Now that is embarrassing!

Reactions: aragorn

darglor

Feb 17, 2012
I'm just glad my kid is young enough that he won't remember these dark ages... unless Melnyk turns this into a 50-year epic like the Leafs/Blues...

TheSenator

The other guys
Apr 4, 2013
Ottawa, ON
I feel like Sens fans are being forced to live out a terrible recurring nightmare. Melnyk is the despicable antagonist and were all trapped at his mercy

Reactions: bert

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The Leafs have been crap for 50 years despite having bucket loads of cash to spend on players , coaches, management, the IR etc. Now that is embarrassing!

Honestly, I wouldn't mind that.

If ownership invests in the team, hires a full (and qualified) scouting, office and coaching staff, do everything they can to make Belleville a good place to develop our kids, and set up the best plan they can manufacture....then, in all honestly, I'd be ok with finishing 31st (soon to be 32nd) for the next decade.

Obviously, I'd love to see more success, but knowing everyone in the organization is doing their best and workign together to build a quality organization...that goes a helluva long way, because I know eventually it will pay off.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
trust me guys, you shouldn't hold your heads too low

you could be a new york islander fan the year our star player and captain voluntarily leaves to join the maple leafs

no matter what you guys can at least know that EK is a quality person who cares about Ottawa and its fans

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
giphy.gif

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The main boards make me feel like the unconscious guy in MMA who is getting hammer-fisted in the face by their opponent because the ref is slow to jump in and stop the fight.

...and the entire arena is cheering louder and louder as each hammer-fist lands on your lifeless skull, the ref and even your own corner are cheering along!

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON

The difference is that every time the Leafs missed the playoffs (which is most of the time), the entire discussion over the summer was about how the team was going to rebound and show everyone what they were made of.

I'm only half-joking when I've said that they are the best off-season team of all-time.

This has gone on since I've been a member of this site.

I don't think our fanbase is as delusional.

Now they have a more competitive team and we get to see if they can win a round or two.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Nothing to be embarrassed about.. Let's trade away our best players and give away our draft picks and rebuild.. that is thinking outside the box. Melnyk and Dorion make us proud every time they take to a podium amirite?

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The difference is that every time the Leafs missed the playoffs (which is most of the time), the entire discussion over the summer was about how the team was going to rebound and show everyone what they were made of.

I'm only half-joking when I've said that they are the best off-season team of all-time.

This has gone on since I've been a member of this site.

I don't think our fanbase is as delusional.

Now they have a more competitive team and we get to see if they can win a round or two.

I would be more embarrassed to be a Leafs or Habs fans. I mean both franchises have BOATLOAD of cash and look at the results in the last 2 decades... Micro market Sens have done better and yet they are not taken seriously compared to those « hockey Meccas ». Like often in sports, fans say a lot of n’importe quoi.

This has been a dark last few months for the Sens (I guess it’s started spiraling downward mid November after that Sweden trip) but things can be fixed with a rebound season. The best outcome would be a sale to a wealthier owner willing to invest more money in the team, even if it means be in the red the first few years until the new arena downtown is done and then maybe the franchise will be more viable

This. I don't really care and haven't for about 2 years :/

Wait, you were indifferent in the 2017 playoffs?

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Well, there’s nothing to be embarrassed about as far as being a Leaf fan right now.

At least, as far as the team goes. They picked up the best available free agent and have some legitimately strong pieces in their lineup.

The only thing embarrassing about the Leafs is the behaviour of some of their fans who seemingly want everyone to just hand the Cup to them now without having won a series in the playoffs.

Lost in all of the rabid froth spewing “Leaf haters don’t give us respect” narrative that flows like sewage across he main boards is the fact that a lot of people will give them respect once they actually do something worthy of it. Not everyone, but enough. But they haven’t. Yet. And they’re in some kind of insane rush to have everyone worship their team before the actual results materialize.

That and the embarrassing behaviour of some of the media who can’t even pretend to be professional journalists.

But that’s far cry from the pig sty that has been doused in kerosene, lit on fire and then hurled off a cliff which is the Ottawa Senators organization.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chezzz and bert

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Well, there’s nothing to be embarrassed about as far as being a Leaf fan right now.

At least, as far as the team goes. They picked up the best available free agent and have some legitimately strong pieces in their lineup.

The only thing embarrassing about the Leafs is the behaviour of some of their fans who seemingly want everyone to just hand the Cup to them now without having won a series in the playoffs.

Lost in all of the rabid froth spewing “Leaf haters don’t give us respect” narrative that flows like sewage across he main boards is the fact that a lot of people will give them respect once they actually do something worthy of it. Not everyone, but enough. But they haven’t. Yet. And they’re in some kind of insane rush to have everyone worship their team before the actual results materialize.

That and the embarrassing behaviour of some of the media who can’t even pretend to be professional journalists.

But that’s far cry from the pig sty that has been doused in kerosene, lit on fire and then hurled off a cliff which is the Ottawa Senators organization.

But that's the thing, I have read Leafs fans brag about their team for such a long time but still, 15 years without winning a single playoffs round, and only made them 3 times in that period of time... Heck, Sens did a lot more in just one season 1 year ago...

Of course, with adding Tavares it changes my perspective about them but before that move I was not really a huge believer in that team (and been ridiculed for that) but ended up being right the last 2 years. So yes they added Tavares but lost JVR and Bozak, Marleau getting one year older, Gardiner UFA next year, Nylander, Matthews and Marner upcoming big contracts, etc. They ill have their own challenges. Injuries can happen too, they have been very lucky lately but if they get affected by injuries just half of what the Sens been, then it will be a huge problem. One asset I wish they didn't have is Mike Babcock though, one of the best coaches ever.

Anyway, we'll see but I think the Jets will become the new team to beat soon. Preds, Avs, Flyers, Bolts. They will have a few great teams to beat.

As for the comment about the Sens organization, I simply see this as a massive media/internet/fan over-dramatization. A situation like the Hoffman thing happens in every sport and usually it's (way) worse than that. It's already been taken care of, so I think it's easy to move on. I don't see how can anyone blame the organization for that, as I don't think it's possible yet to control wives minds. As for Randy Lee, it's ugly if true but like the lawyer said, there probably won't be any legal charge against him. It's just a disgusting/awkward modern way to "flirt" but living in a city like Montreal, that stuff ain't that extraordinary. I have been victim of that kind of stuff several times too, both by men and women. Last year, a guy standing next to me told me that he had an erection. I didn't sue him, I just went somewhere else. A women literally tried to kiss me last week, I just said sorry I'm taken. But since it's woman on a man, I'm sure many wouldn't even see that as harassment but "cool"

Anyway, outside of having probably the most dislikable NHL owner, which is nothing new, I don't see the big drama that people are talking about. We would all like him more if he was talking less and spending more instead but it's easy to say when it's not your money. In the end, it might end up as a big missed opportunity to build a great team around Karlsson, Stone, Duchene, Chabot and the current great prospect pool. Nothing happened yet so impossible to say what will happen. A sale to a wealthier owner ready to invest more would be a pretty quick fix IMO. But we can only hope for now.

Reactions: Variable26

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

This is my favorite post I have read in a very long time.

Reactions: Chezzz

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
A women literally tried to kiss me last week, I just said sorry I'm taken. But since it's woman on a man, I'm sure many wouldn't even see that as harassment but "cool"

Being a creep when you have a high profile job like Lee does is a bad look no matter if the recipient of the advances was a man or a woman.

Reactions: Xspyrit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad