OT: Are you embarrassed to be a Senators fan right now?

What kind of poll does this thread deserve?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
To be honest, it'll be hard to finish 30th again. The season is not played on paper. There's no doubt we underperformed last season. Making the playoffs is certainly possible. Colorado did it after missing the playoffs and trading Duchene. We did it after missing the playoffs and trading Spezza. We did it after missing the playoffs and trading Heatley. Addition by subtraction is a real thing.

Next season will be decided by our goaltending, and by extension, our team defence and compete level.

Because we are not outscoring our opposition.

I can't see Boucher fielding an "all-rookie" line. I'd be amazed if we have 3 rookies in our top 12 after 9 games.

I expect something along the lines of the line-up made up by @Cosmix.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Of course, if that's the line Boucher go with, there's not much hope to have a decent season.

It's hard to say what will happen exactly, but assuming no trade and a youth movement like everything has pointed out to be, it could look like this (which I would find exciting) :

Ryan-Duchene-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-White
Boedker-Chlapik-Dzingel
Paajarvi-Pageau-Pyatt
McCormick

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Wideman
Harpur

Anderson
Condon

If they are a bit more conservative, but intend a youth movement still :

Boedker-Duchene-Dzingel
Ryan-Pageau-Stone
Tkachuk-Brown-White
Paajarvi-Paul-Pyatt
McCormick

Chabot-Karlsson
Wolanin-Ceci
Borowiecki-Wideman
Harpur

Anderson
Condon

I could really see that all-american kid line to be a thing.

Playing the youngsters would be fun to watch; however, I don’t think some of them are ready and need more time to develop: Tkachuk, Brown. White and Wolanin may be ready now. Chlapik I am not certain yet.

Gaborik appears done but his contract is not. I think the team is stuck with him.

Smith might be useful as a 4th liner, but we have 4 of those already. Trading Smith to create a roster spot for a prospect might be a good move but I suspect he might not be desired by other teams due to his contract and recent play.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Trading Smith to create a roster spot for a prospect might be a good move but I suspect he might not be desired by other teams due to his contract and recent play.

Smith will be much more valuable at the deadline I think when a team hoping to make some noise in the post-season decides it needs a versatile forward with some physical grit.

Reactions: topshelf15

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
Next season will be decided by our goaltending, and by extension, our team defence and compete level.

Because we are not outscoring our opposition.

I can't see Boucher fielding an "all-rookie" line. I'd be amazed if we have 3 rookies in our top 12 after 9 games.

I expect something along the lines of the line-up made up by @Cosmix.

Boucher's job depends on it. Dorion said specifically in his end-of-season presser that Boucher needs to play the kids more next season. I think White makes the team outright, with Chlapik playing big chunks of the season.

I can see this as our opening lineup:

Dzingel - Duchene - Ryan
White - Pageau - Stone
Bodker - Smith - Gaborik
Paajarvi - Paul/McCormick - Pyatt

Chabot - Karlsson
Harpur/Wolanin - Ceci
Boro - Wideman

Anderson
Condon

With Paul on a very short leash, possibly waived/sent down if he doesn't perform 10 games in, and calling up Chlapik. Rotating the 7th D, with the occasional 11-7 game. I could also see one of Jaros/Englund/Lajoie taking Wolanin's spot if Wolanin struggles. I'd be shocked if Brown got significant time.

Making the playoffs is not impossible with this lineup. Dzingel started showing flashes of being a great top 6 player. Pageau put up decent numbers when he played a more offensive role with Stone in 2015-16. I can see Boucher "conceeding" having White in the top 6 as long as he's insulated with defensively responsible players like Stone and Pageau. Bodker is a fine addition to the 3rd line. Paajarvi and Pyatt are dependable 4th liners. The only big question mark is that we would really need one of Harpur/Wolanin/Jaros/Englund/Lajoie to step up and be dependable.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThreePosts and JD1

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Boucher won't play the kids this much. He knows the team can't afford to fire him, they are poor and won't pay a coach to sit at home. He'll occasionally give a kid top six minutes when things are "safe" (up on another team, early in the season) but will go back to vets as the season goes on. This isn't really a fault of the man, it's just how coaches are in general. Dorion will have to trade the vets to get him to play youngsters. Seeing how we haven't made any moves...outside of a forced one to move Hoffman, Smith will be in the top six before long.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I can see this as our opening lineup:

Dzingel - Duchene - Ryan
White - Pageau - Stone
Bodker - Smith - Gaborik
Paajarvi - Paul/McCormick - Pyatt

Chabot - Karlsson
Harpur/Wolanin - Ceci
Boro - Wideman

Anderson
Condon

Anderson has requested a trade ...

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Last time I checked he's still on the team.

you're correct, but I don't know that he'll be part of the opening day line up, and have no clue who he may be traded for .......... trade may include more players from both teams involved.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
you're correct, but I don't know that he'll be part of the opening day line up, and have no clue who he may be traded for .......... trade may include more players from both teams involved.

I don’t think many teams are in the market for a starter. Andy might have to be patient.

PoutineSp00nZ

Electricity is really just organized lightning.
Jul 21, 2009
Ottawa
Playing the youngsters would be fun to watch; however, I don’t think some of them are ready and need more time to develop: Tkachuk, Brown. White and Wolanin may be ready now. Chlapik I am not certain yet.

Gaborik appears done but his contract is not. I think the team is stuck with him.

Smith might be useful as a 4th liner, but we have 4 of those already. Trading Smith to create a roster spot for a prospect might be a good move but I suspect he might not be desired by other teams due to his contract and recent play.

That phaneuf trade only made sense if the Sens were going to buy out gaborik.

Phaneuf could still play. Gaborik is useless.

I can't for the life of my understand why they made that trade.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Smith will be much more valuable at the deadline I think when a team hoping to make some noise in the post-season decides it needs a versatile forward with some physical grit.
We tried that this past TDL and did not get the value back we wanted from what I understand.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Boucher is the wrong coach for this team or any rebuilding team that is breaking young players into the lineup. He is too technical , impatient and unforgiving... He will put a lineup together showing young players sprinkled in the lineup.. When a) we take a lead he will shorten the bench in favor of the vets.. or b) we need to come back he will shorten the bench in favor of the vets. When the game is in hand either way, the young guys will get a chance. The Dzone system has to change to be more aggressive/relentless on the puck. We gave up too many quality chances last year.

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006

Gaborik could go on LTIR or maybe be bought out next summer. He’s not going to play for us for the next three years.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
There was an article/interview with Gaborik in Slovak media a few days ago where he revealed that he is way behind schedule in his recovery. He's four months out from surgery and hasn't even been cleared to resume skating yet.

He's going on LTIR.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

Ditto for both trades: the one to get Phaneuf, and the one to get Gaborik.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
There was an article/interview with Gaborik in Slovak media a few days ago where he revealed that he is way behind schedule in his recovery. He's four months out from surgery and hasn't even been cleared to resume skating yet.

He's going on LTIR.

Which means insurance money in Melnyk's pocket.... That's why the trade was made...

Reactions: Dave Sparky Allison

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Boucher is the wrong coach for this team or any rebuilding team that is breaking young players into the lineup. He is too technical , impatient and unforgiving... He will put a lineup together showing young players sprinkled in the lineup.. When a) we take a lead he will shorten the bench in favor of the vets.. or b) we need to come back he will shorten the bench in favor of the vets. When the game is in hand either way, the young guys will get a chance. The Dzone system has to change to be more aggressive/relentless on the puck. We gave up too many quality chances last year.

John Tortorella said it a few years ago. If you want to see less defensive-oriented systems, more kids playing bigger roles and a more wide-open firewagon type of game, then give coaches 10-year contracts.

Coaches overwhelmingly coach tight systems to keep games close and competitive. To win, or at least look like the team can win. To save their jobs...not necessarily to develop players or have the best team a few years down the road.

We see it in Toronto. Babcock getting a long, high end deal gives him the ability to push those kids and play a style that is exciting - even if it isn't the kind of style that will win a Cup. He has security, so he can afford to have bad/disappointing seasons. The rest of the coaches in the league don't have that luxury.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I was ok with trading Phaneuf for Gaborik, but retaining 25% of Phaneuf’s salary did not make much sense to me.

What really annoys me is the sequence of signings and trades: Michalek, Cowen, Greening — Phaneuf trade. —- Gaborik trade. This sequence is truly bad GM asset management.

Then we got the Zibanejad - Brassard trade followed by the Dahlen - Burrows trade and the UFA signing of Nate Thompson.

Followed by a 3 year extension to the GM. Yuck!

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I never thought I'd see the day, but it's finally here. I'm not embarrassed anymore. I'm not angry, I'm not sad, I'm not frustrated. I'm just apathetic. I don't care to watch any hockey this year.
Exactly how I feel. I feel more upset by the fact that I feel ready to move on completely than the trade itself. There's just no compelling reason to watch this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad