Post-Game Talk (GBU): Are we toast?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Well, at least there were some Sabres games this late into the season that were semi- important.

Playoff hopes are toast barring some Walt Disney type **** that has these guys rally off 4 in a row againsts TB, WSH, TOR and PHI.

Well when we play against 4 backups in a row, like we most likely will, we have a slim chance to win a game or two,

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
At the point of asking them to just win one more this month. That little bit of jam to mask ashy toast.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Blink twice if you’re being held hostage, Phil.

Seriously he sounds lost. He is repeating the same nonsense sentences.

Housley has focused very deliberately on "good effort" and "bad bounces" the last 2 games. I think he finally figured out that an effort problem is fundamentally a coaching problem, so he is trying to move the goal posts.

Suggesting these last 2 losses are a function of bad luck is a joke, and Phil knows it.

He's desperate. His job is in its final death spiral, and it's ugly to watch.

Yultron

Apr 18, 2017
Just imagine if we win the lottery and get Jack Hughes ? It’s not going to happen but if we can finish in the top 10 and get a guy like Matthew Boldy I will be really happy

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
I would argue if we had ROR this year we would be in a playoff spot and not just a wild card.
That’s debatable with what we’ve seen last two months.

Yeah, we’d be better, but shit...this roster is still so far off, no matter if it’s with TT/Sobotka or ROR.

dotcommunism

Aug 16, 2007
This was true last season, it was true in the locker room cleanout, and it's true now.

player/coach/GM interviews don't actually mean or tell us anything, and watching them and trying to dissect stuff is pointless. We just received 60 minutes of actual hockey to study.
I feel like maybe there should be some scare quotes around "actual"

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Well, at least there were some Sabres games this late into the season that were semi- important.

Playoff hopes are toast barring some Walt Disney type **** that has these guys rally off 4 in a row againsts TB, WSH, TOR and PHI.
I mean, I guess in fairness we haven’t tried the Flying V, Knuckle Puck, Triple Deke or Fulton blasting a 215 mph slap shot through no traffic and inept goaltending yet.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
thumb.aspx

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
Goaltending has not been helped by terrible defensive play either. Lately, the focus on being better at defense yielded lower scoring but barely any improvement on D.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
How many coaches and GM's can they go through before you take a look at who's hiring these people?
I don't think Botterill is a problem. I think he has a plan and he's sticking to it. Making the playoffs would have been a nice bonus but it wasn't the goal going into the season...taking a big step forward was. We've done that. We've been an above .500 team all year (so far) and that's a huge upgrade on not being above .500 at any point since like 2013 or whatever the stat is. Rochester and Cincinnati are thriving, and that can only be good for the system going forward. We're going to have a ton of cap space this summer, and we have a lot of picks to add to the good system we already have. There's a plan, and he's sticking to it even as the fanbase screams at him to do ANYTHING he possibly can to add 4-5 more games on at the end of the season. That's nonsense...we shouldn't be scrapping the plan and shipping out quality assets just to get a first round exit. He knows we're not a contender this year. The goal is to make us a contender not only soon, but for a long time.

All of that said about Botterill, I don't think Housley is the right guy anymore. I wanted him to be hired and I was thrilled when he was, but it's just not working at all. He's clearly lost the team and you usually can't expect to get them back once that happens.

Leclerc

Dec 31, 2018
We are indeed toast. Management failed to realize we needed help in December. You have to wonder what their goal was this season.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I don't think Botterill is a problem. I think he has a plan and he's sticking to it. Making the playoffs would have been a nice bonus but it wasn't the goal going into the season...taking a big step forward was. We've done that. We've been an above .500 team all year (so far) and that's a huge upgrade on not being above .500 at any point since like 2013 or whatever the stat is. Rochester and Cincinnati are thriving, and that can only be good for the system going forward. We're going to have a ton of cap space this summer, and we have a lot of picks to add to the good system we already have. There's a plan, and he's sticking to it even as the fanbase screams at him to do ANYTHING he possibly can to add 4-5 more games on at the end of the season. That's nonsense...we shouldn't be scrapping the plan and shipping out quality assets just to get a first round exit. He knows we're not a contender this year. The goal is to make us a contender not only soon, but for a long time.

All of that said about Botterill, I don't think Housley is the right guy anymore. I wanted him to be hired and I was thrilled when he was, but it's just not working at all. He's clearly lost the team and you usually can't expect to get them back once that happens.

I hope Botts works out but agree that Housley needs to be replaced.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Is this a good team that is being out coached? Is this a team of superior players being held back by a fifth columnist in a coach' uniform? Or is it a team of over the hill over paid vets, a handful of real nhlers who sometimes come out to play and a large complement of puppies trying to be big doggies? Your answer will tell you whether Housley is the cause of what is happening here. Maybe Housley should go--maybe it will spark some life in some of these guys and maybe scare some of the younger guys into winning more puck battles. Maybe. I guess it comes down to not being able to trade away what we need to be good going forward -good players with term and good cap numbers. Bottom line imho--we are not good enough and changing the coach is like changing the bandleader on the Titanic--that sucker of an iceberg is right in front of us and we are going down no matter who waves the baton.
You've been consistent in this view, which is admirable. I come back to, regardless of the inferior talent, regardless of the cap-dump vets, regardless of the inconsistent in-game effort up and down the roster, Housley is not skilled / competent enough to take a high-talent, deep roster team far into the playoffs. Therefore, if an upgrade is possible, then replace him. If his presence is detrimental to consistent team effort, then move him out now.

I watched the 1st period, then started painting before I fell asleep.

Good:
Kid singing anthem.
Barkov.
Beaulieu - was physical.
Eichel & ERod on the PK.
Glad I didn't watch 2nd and 3rd (yet).

Bad:
Sheary
Poms
Sobotka / Svoboda

Ugly:
That lower bowl in Sunrise was emptier than the sugar free mints at a weight-watchers meeting.
Is this the 3rd game in the row the Sabres gave up 2 goals in <1 minute and 3 goals in <5 minutes to let a game get out of reach? There's something to be said for consistency...

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
The goal tending on this team is a huge problem.

When you enter the season with your goaltending tandem being two guys that have never been an NHL #1, some of what we are seeing what I would expect.

Hutton hasn't played in 50+ games since 2012-13 in Rockford. Being a #1 and playing that many games takes a different approach than being a back up.

Ullmark has been the #1 in Rochester the past two seasons and he entered this season as an NHL #2 that has morphed into a #1A as the season has progressed. That change takes a different approach, as well.

Personally, I think that Botterill has two choices in net this offseason. Either he gets a vet to be the #1 and either Hutton or Ullmark get traded or he keeps Hutton and Ullmark and Ullmark gets the chance to be the #1 next season.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
You've been consistent in this view, which is admirable. I come back to, regardless of the inferior talent, regardless of the cap-dump vets, regardless of the inconsistent in-game effort up and down the roster, Housley is not skilled / competent enough to take a high-talent, deep roster team far into the playoffs. Therefore, if an upgrade is possible, then replace him. If his presence is detrimental to consistent team effort, then move him out now.

I watched the 1st period, then started painting before I fell asleep.

Good:
Kid singing anthem.
Barkov.
Beaulieu - was physical.
Eichel & ERod on the PK.
Glad I didn't watch 2nd and 3rd (yet).

Bad:
Sheary
Poms
Sobotka / Svoboda

Ugly:
That lower bowl in Sunrise was emptier than the sugar free mints at a weight-watchers meeting.
Is this the 3rd game in the row the Sabres gave up 2 goals in <1 minute and 3 goals in <5 minutes to let a game get out of reach? There's something to be said for consistency...

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I think we are on the same page. I want to make it clear that I had no opinion on hiring Housley as I had no knowledge of him as a coach. I have to say that hiring great players to be coaches has never seemed to me to be a winning approach. Those guys found the game easy-usually-and do not understand how to teach/coach/inspire--because it is already in their dna. I also prefer to have an experienced coach with a track record of winning--if not the NHL then certainly AHL. Housley has done nothing to convince me he should be our coach going forward. I am just not ready to say that somebody else could have been a clearly superior coach for THIS team as it now stands warts and all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad