Are we the reason the Canucks haven't won a Stanley Cup in 40 years?

Smokey McCanucks

PuckDaddy "Perfect HFBoard Trade Proposal 02/24/14
Dec 21, 2010
2010, the media stabbed us in the back, look at how Boston's media acted versus how our's acted, they were 100% behind the team all the way, real propaganda ops. Also they had the major media players, Toronto, NY, Chicago, California, all on their side, all against the Canucks. It was our media's hour to shine, to back this team and promote them, fight back against the mainstream portrayal of the Canucks as villains and they folded like a cheap tent, a cheap tent stuffed with betrayal. To this day our media operations are poor, we need to step it up, we need some Pravda-style stuff around here. I'm sick of the backstabbing from the Province and their ilk, it's almost a dolchstosslegend sort of thing except without the anti-semitism and it really happened for real. I was there and I remember it, even the guys like Cam Cole and Ed Willes who occasionally stumble upon a crumb of rationality were in on it. All that was missing was a **** (haha for reals? a rooster) crowing at the end of Game 7. Me, I will never forget how that all went down.

Jinsell

May 11, 2007
You have to be both good and lucky to win the cup. In '82 and '94 we were lucky, but not good enough, in '11 we were good enough, but not lucky. Simple as that.

This. Very interesting quote. I would argue that we were good enough in 1994, but our luck just ran out in Game 7.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
We can all think it has to be players that win a cup but we as fans and media have to be the most negative bunch of people in the city. We constantly pile on players when they're down. We run players out of town. You can't tell me this doesn't have an effect on players. Look at Toronto Maple Leafs? Last time Canada won a Stanley cup? Right about the time the Internet took off?

Nope. Giving yourself too much credit.

TTOMO

Aug 30, 2011
Port Moody, BC
I wish it was only 40 years. The Canucks would be 1972-73 Stanley Cup Champions, which, even though I wasn't even alive then, it's better than nothing.

Hammer Time

May 3, 2011
After 42 seasons, the Canucks have had a grand total of one Hall of Famer play here during their prime: Pavel Bure. The only current Canucks who even have a chance are the Sedins and Luongo.

Oh, and Öhlund recently won a poll for "greatest Canucks defenceman ever". Nothing against him, but most other teams have dozens of defencemen better than him in their history.

That tells you all you need to know. We simply haven't had the right players.

rye&ginger

Jan 4, 2004
Vancouver
Our fan base is the same as other cities. Habs fan boo their team regularly on ice.

Good and lucky...yes that is needed. BOS got great goal tending, won a few game 7s and had no injuries to their D. LA got similar luck and goal tending, and starting scoring goals. IMO a healthy 2011 team would have beat BOS. We need it all to come together at the same time.

End of story.

Gormo

Holupchi
Nov 12, 2010
We can all think it has to be players that win a cup but we as fans and media have to be the most negative bunch of people in the city. We constantly pile on players when they're down. We run players out of town. You can't tell me this doesn't have an effect on players. Look at Toronto Maple Leafs? Last time Canada won a Stanley cup? Right about the time the Internet took off?

You need to consider that there are myriad examples where teams succeed in spite of having fans/media that are far more hostile then in Vancouver.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
I would love to blame our fans, because I think our fans are on the terrible side in general, but no.

Also, negativity has never bothered me-- I can't stand the entitlement and moaning.

Tb0ne

Nov 29, 2004
Victoria
Awful drafting and trades have a lot to do with it. Our glorious local media hasn't helped.. I feel like some of our media personalities are extraordinarily bitter after watching this franchise fail for almost half a century and it clearly influences fans in a negative way.

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Awful drafting and trades have a lot to do with it. Our glorious local media hasn't helped.. I feel like some of our media personalities are extraordinarily bitter after watching this franchise fail for almost half a century and it clearly influences fans in a negative way.

I would blame that more on the fans than the media though. If someone is stupid enough that they can't make up their own mind about something, but instead just go along with whatever Tony Gallagher or whoever has to say, then I'm sorry, but they've got some more serious issues than just being a bad sports fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad