Are we the reason the Canucks haven't won a Stanley Cup in 40 years?

nmain37*

We can all think it has to be players that win a cup but we as fans and media have to be the most negative bunch of people in the city. We constantly pile on players when they're down. We run players out of town. You can't tell me this doesn't have an effect on players. Look at Toronto Maple Leafs? Last time Canada won a Stanley cup? Right about the time the Internet took off?

Wheatley

We Rabite You
Sep 24, 2010
Because the players scrounge around on the internet to see what people are saying about them.

Gotcha.

nekyvGkOPaiWICTscLl6

Jul 14, 2009
Sudbury
It's possible that it plays a role. It certainly has an affect. If it affects the players positively to play in this environment, then you know the environment is a tangible part of a players' experience.

So while we can't say one way or another if we are the reason for the Canucks failures, I would hold that we play a role in the Canucks failures, albeit a minuscule one.

Squall

Mar 22, 2013
If it is one of those things, it's the media. I don't see how fans themselves would change anything (like posting on a forum, etc).

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I work for a computer game company that has an active, ravenous community with strong and ugly opinions about just about everything we do.

I don't pay much attention to them. I love my job and do my best everyday.

If the Canucks let mean things said by outsiders affect how they play, then they deserve to fail. That's what it means to be a pro. Not just a hockey-pro - a pro-anything.

nmain37*

I work for a computer game company that has an active, ravenous community with strong and ugly opinions about just about everything we do.

I don't pay much attention to them. I love my job and do my best everyday.

Well maybe if you paid attention you wouldn't have ruined simcity:sarcasm:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Mostly the media's fault for stirring **** up if we're talking outside influence.

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Look at some of the teams that have won, teams without fans, teams with crazy fans, internet/media or not. If they can't win, they can't win.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
We can all think it has to be players that win a cup but we as fans and media have to be the most negative bunch of people in the city. We constantly pile on players when they're down. We run players out of town. You can't tell me this doesn't have an effect on players. Look at Toronto Maple Leafs? Last time Canada won a Stanley cup? Right about the time the Internet took off?

as i recall, only nerds who lived with their moms knew what the internet was back in 1993.

Munber1

Jun 5, 2011
Maybe the fans could help the team by altering their cheering patterns, by clapping politely at goals, and reserving their loudest cheers for all the hard work it takes to set up those scoring chances....when someone scores a goal he already has a great feeling anyway, and a goal is often the result of hard work done beforehand.

vector209

Jan 7, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
From a a North American standpoint, all fans pale in comparison to those in Philadelphia. Those guys can get hardcore, and they've won titles.

My point is, fans have little to no bearing on how a team does. When you're out on the field/ice, you lock it down and tune out the noise. It's just you and the opposing team.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
From a a North American standpoint, all fans pale in comparison to those in Philadelphia. Those guys can get hardcore, and they've won titles.

My point is, fans have little to no bearing on how a team does. When you're out on the field/ice, you lock it down and tune out the noise. It's just you and the opposing team.

what i hear from everyone i know who's ever lived in philadelphia is that those philly fans with the horrendous reputation -- the ones that throw batteries and get tased on the playing field and pick fights with tie domi -- are actually from south jersey. from what they describe, south jersey seems like their surrey, only gigantic.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Yes.

Obviously it's all our fault. We should feel horrible as human beings. The only problem with the team is that they clearly aren't being supported properly, and we're the ones falling down on the job. We therefore clearly deserve scorn and mockery and nobody should ever take us seriously as human beings on the internet, ever.

Also, the fact we're Canucks fans and all jointly responsible for our team's failure should obviously override any kind of individuality. Obviously, anyone is entitled to say whatever they want about us; the fact we're Canucks fans is the only reason needed.

You may now report back to whatever forum you're from and confirm we're all scum and whatever axe is being ground is totally justified.

Happy?

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
The former owner's son has a BCIT education. He was involved in management, influenced trades such as Cam Neely, and was responsible for the flying V uniforms. The first successful GM they hired paid players in US salaries with their own "Canucks" exchange rate and ran guys like Larionov out of town over a transfer agreement.

Ownership was an absolute joke for the first few decades. If not for the fact that they literally owned the media in Vancouver this would be talked about openly.

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
It's the reason we all say "we" when talking about the team's performance. The players have a small say in the outcome, but the games are our responsibility. Like, it's all energy, man.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I've never been fond of how excessively negative Canucks fans are, all while supporting the team blindly unlike any team in the league, aside for the Leafs. We love to complain about every little thing, and always expect the worst -- moreso than most fan bases, I would say. Many of our fans don't really behave like fans at all, in that they seem oddly vindicated when we fail. And yet they are obsessed with the team.

But does that have any bearing on the games themselves? It if does, it would have to be so miniscule, you would have to rank it somewhere after things like "does the color of the rug in the dressing room make us lose games?".

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
I thought I remembered reading somewhere that the players can feel nervous energy from the fans in the building... One can only wonder if that was the case during Game 7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->