Are we really showing progress?

wshahbaz

Dec 15, 2010
Because I don't see it. Last 2 months have completely wiped out the first few months of the season. This franchise isn't going anywhere until it gets an elite NHL coach. Questions are still being asked of the GM as well. Really really poor sign for the future that we are this deep in the rebuild we don't have a stable GM/HC yet.

This organization is just so poorly run its comical. Housley needs to be fired either during the season if this continues or after the final second of the last game of the season. He is far from a quality NHL coach.

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Considering we aren’t dead last, its easy to see progress.

These past few weeks have felt brutal considering the highs of the 10 game streak. No doubt about that.

Also, the roster needs a ton more work to truly compete. No doubt about that either.

However, there are positives to take from the first half of the season.

If someone would have told me in September that Buffalo would be within 2 points of the playoffs at this point in the season, I would have been all over that.

Can’t lose sight of the fact that we are actually playing meaningful games this late into a season. That hasn’t happened in years. Progress for sure

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
Yes. Yes we are.

Dahlin is going to be a legit #1 D for 20 years.
We've found a legit top line -- one of the top 5 lines in the NHL (assuming Skinner re-ups)
22/28 have proven to be a VERY good defense-first line, and most 3rd wheels there have upped their game.
Risto has shown that when he's not ridden into the ground minutes-wise, he's really good too.
Bogo has been fantastic and worth his cap hit.
Despite probably "shouldn't be here status", Mitts and TT have shown flashes of what they can be.

Do we have work to do? Yes.
Have we progressed from last year? Decidedly, yes.

As an aside -- you're calling for a poorly run organization to fire their HC 1.5/2 years into his tenure. That's EXACTLY something that a poorly run organization does.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Of course they've made progress. They're in the thick of a playoff race. All they need is an epic team meeting of biblical proportions to turn the corner. The Sabres need to believe they're on a mission from God. They need a meeting with players speaking in tongues, poisonous snakes, the laying on of hands and a healthy dose of rhythm and blues.

1point21Gigawatts

hell's a gigawatt?
Apr 7, 2010
The future
Of course they've made progress. They're in the thick of a playoff race. All they need is an epic team meeting of biblical proportions to turn the corner. The Sabres need to believe they're on a mission from God. They need a meeting with players speaking in tongues, poisonous snakes, the laying on of hands and a healthy dose of rhythm and blues and golds.
Couldn't help myself :sarcasm:

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
Of course they've made progress. They're in the thick of a playoff race. All they need is an epic team meeting of biblical proportions to turn the corner. The Sabres need to believe they're on a mission from God. They need a meeting with players speaking in tongues, poisonous snakes, the laying on of hands and a healthy dose of rhythm and blues.
Nice

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Yes. Yes we are.

Dahlin is going to be a legit #1 D for 20 years.
We've found a legit top line -- one of the top 5 lines in the NHL (assuming Skinner re-ups)
22/28 have proven to be a VERY good defense-first line, and most 3rd wheels there have upped their game.
Risto has shown that when he's not ridden into the ground minutes-wise, he's really good too.
Bogo has been fantastic and worth his cap hit.
Despite probably "shouldn't be here status", Mitts and TT have shown flashes of what they can be.

Do we have work to do? Yes.
Have we progressed from last year? Decidedly, yes.

As an aside -- you're calling for a poorly run organization to fire their HC 1.5/2 years into his tenure. That's EXACTLY something that a poorly run organization does.

Pshh Coach Q is out there. Housley who?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
I question Housley's player usage, but given the improvement of the overall team this season when compared to the past 4 years, I don't believe for a second he's getting fired nor do I believe if they lost every game for the rest of the season will he get fired. As others have pointed out, he's not quite 2 yrs in to his tenure yet and the roster is in a state of flux, transitioning by contract run outs and off season moves. And even then, a couple of these contracts will still be with us that many fans may not like.

Botterill and Housley walked in to a mess with young talent just reaching the NHL, or coming off their ELC's. Stay the course, not matter how frustrating. Went through something similar to this in the late 80's as far as team sucking.

Remember this young ones, and remember it well, Darcy Regier, for all his short comings, was dead on correct when he answered what will it take to make the Sabres Cup Contenders,...……………."SUFFERING".
So let it be written, so let it be done!

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Good grief :facepalm:

Yes... yes this team has made progress. It’s a must be a luxury to forget how things were 12 months ago.

Royisgone

Mar 7, 2012
Because I don't see it. Last 2 months have completely wiped out the first few months of the season. This franchise isn't going anywhere until it gets an elite NHL coach. Questions are still being asked of the GM as well. Really really poor sign for the future that we are this deep in the rebuild we don't have a stable GM/HC yet.

This organization is just so poorly run its comical. Housley needs to be fired either during the season if this continues or after the final second of the last game of the season. He is far from a quality NHL coach.

I'm no big fan of Housley and if he was replaced tomorrow I'd probably be fine with it, but an elite coach isn't going to improve the overall talent level of this team, which is pretty bad.

We have about 1/4 to maybe 1/3 of the pieces in place IMO.

Reactions: toomuchsauce

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The product on the ice is overall better, and better to watch, but there are still some really stinky clunker games and periods that, taken singularly, might cause you to question. But, as an example, they have shown they can compete with the league’s top teams, even with their incomplete talent, which was rare last season.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I'm no big fan of Housley and if he was replaced tomorrow I'd probably be fine with it, but an elite coach isn't going to improve the overall talent level of this team, which is pretty bad.

We have about 1/4 to maybe 1/3 of the pieces in place IMO.
If you would like to see what an elite coach can accomplish with a minimally talented roster I'd be glad to hook you up with some comp Isles tickets if you live down here.

Reactions: Fearnot

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
There has been big improvement. The product is pretty entertaining out there most nights.

But there's a long way to go yet

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The defense has been healthy and got the benefit of a "free" PMD in Dahlin. That alone has improved their overall game. I imagine they'd be terrible if they were getting minimal or injured contributions from Bogosian and McCabe. Skinner's an upgrade on Kane, Jack until injured was stronger than last year. Beyond that....

sabres4ever

Yes, have some!
Jun 5, 2006
Virginia
One of the biggest indicators to me is the difference between our breakout play, as compared to the past few years. We'd struggle to get the puck out of our own zone, and often get hemmed into it for minutes at a time. The difference now is night and day. So yes, we've made progress. Is it where we want to be? Heck no. It's much better though.

We definitely need to make lots of changes on our roster, if we want to start making the playoffs regularly. I don't think firing the coach will help.

Reactions: brian_griffin

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
One of the biggest indicators to me is the difference between our breakout play, as compared to the past few years. We'd struggle to get the puck out of our own zone, and often get hemmed into it for minutes at a time. The difference now is night and day. So yes, we've made progress. Is it where we want to be? Heck no. It's much better though.

We definitely need to make lots of changes on our roster, if we want to start making the playoffs regularly. I don't think firing the coach will help.

This is an important observation. They are actually possessing the puck much more this season, and their breakouts ARE much better. The issue is they don't seem to know how to translate that into secondary scoring, nor have the goalies been making that big save when teams counter-attack with speed.

Most of that is due to coaching.

Fearnot

Nov 13, 2013
New York
Probably not, we are going to continue to float around dead last and no higher than 8th OA until everyone in Buffalo has died from old age.

Reactions: kundahlini

Buf fan in Nash

Jul 18, 2018
Nashville, TN
You don't see it?

We added some excellent players in Skinner, Dahlin, and Pilut. This team is so much better than last year's even losing a player of ROR's caliber.

We also have Casey whos a bit raw but is sound defensively and shows flashes of his offensive ability he just needs to develop and put some muscle on.

Then we have a few guys looking good in Rochester that could be brought up this year or next. This team right now is a bubble playoff team and expecting more is foolish.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
v4Be2Il.jpg

Reactions: Jim Carr's Rug

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
There's been progress on the overall talent level of the team, there's been talent based on the comparison level of last year. There's been an overall progress for the rebuild. Has there been a progression overall on THIS season from the guys in JUST this season, I don't think there has been.

I think the better question is whether the level of progression from the team since Botterill took over is enough for someone.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
Dahlin is the real progress.

With the lottery odds, it was flat out embarrassing for them to come in last place. As evidenced by Botts freaking out last year during one terrible game. Something you don’t do when losing is the plan.

But I’ll take luck.

And Dahlin being added for only pain and suffering, is the kind of luck that this team hasn’t had the entire rebuild.

I mean look at that Edmonton game and try to say that Eichel is even close to McDavid’s level. Eichel is having a breakout season, in year 4 with the 2nd highest goal scorer in the league. And he is still 20 points behind McDavid. And we could have had Connor if not for a little luck.

Multiple regimes have sucked for the last 4 years.

But Dahlin.... That is progress without doubt. Kid is a freak.

Reactions: debaser66

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad