Are We More Than A Bubble Team Or Less Than One? How Scared/Excited Are You For The Season?

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I also expect that the Flames should be significantly better in PIM taken. The Flames had the 2nd worse PIM in the league last year (912 minutes) and the Canes had the best (512 minutes). That means the Flames were in the box for 400 more minutes than the Canes. A lower PIM means fewer goals against. It will be kind of nice to stay out of the sin bin for a change.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
By virtue of other guys coming in and taking playing time/ straight up just not being that good, I anticipate that the three I highlighted will underpreform this year. I think if we get 20-20 out of backlund that would be healthy. I pray we see those numbers out of Benny and Janko but as one or both will definitely be trooping on the 4th line, and Bennett has shown pretty poorly the last few seasons, I would say hoping for 10 goals out of each is... generous. Taking their combined goal output from 60 goals down to about 35 or so is much more realistic IMO.

Still gives us lots of offensive firepower and doesn't force us to hope (blindly) that Bennett will miraculously become a NHL producer.

Janko is going to go from 17 goals his rookie year to below 10? And even though Bennett went pointless for the first 26(?) games of the year he is going to further regress and score even less than last year? All with a coach who isn't a complete imbecile. I don't see it. Backlund shot 6.5% last year, if he gets back up to a normal 10-12% he easily scores 20.

God forbid Bennett and Janko do play 4th line minutes, they'll be playing other 4th lines then, they should easily crush the absolute f*** out of most 4th lines in the league.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
I also expect that the Flames should be significantly better in PIM taken. The Flames had the 2nd worse PIM in the league last year (912 minutes) and the Canes had the best (512 minutes). That means the Flames were in the box for 400 more minutes than the Canes. A lower PIM means fewer goals against. It will be kind of nice to stay out of the sin bin for a change.

Pre-Gulutzan (ie. with Hartley) the Flames were one of the least penalized teams. Gully's 2 year span, the Flames were one of the worst penalized teams. 1 pre-season game under Peters, 8 penalties to 3 in favour of the Flames.

Bennett under Hartley 37 PIMS
Bennett under Gully 75 and 59 PIMS

Bennett under Hartley, good player with good linemates
Bennett under Gully, not good player with atrocious linemates

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Janko is going to go from 17 goals his rookie year to below 10? And even though Bennett went pointless for the first 26(?) games of the year he is going to further regress and score even less than last year? All with a coach who isn't a complete imbecile. I don't see it. Backlund shot 6.5% last year, if he gets back up to a normal 10-12% he easily scores 20.

God forbid Bennett and Janko do play 4th line minutes, they'll be playing other 4th lines then, they should easily crush the absolute **** out of most 4th lines in the league.

Regardless of whether they're better than other fourth lines, they're getting fourth line minutes this year based on the depth we've added. Unless they show they're better than our other options there's every reason to expect their numbers to regress.

Reactions: Flameshomer

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Pre-Gulutzan (ie. with Hartley) the Flames were one of the least penalized teams. Gully's 2 year span, the Flames were one of the worst penalized teams. 1 pre-season game under Peters, 8 penalties to 3 in favour of the Flames.

Yeah, Bennett under Hartley was trending towards a power forward version of prime Jonathan Toews. Peters getting Bennett back on track to be our true #1C is the path to our Stanley Cup.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room

Talk about revisionist history. Bennett takes more penalties at center than wing. It is really that simple. Bennett's PIMs, they increased when he was moved to center and decreased when he moved back to wing. His production correlates to this as well, but not as dramatically.

2015-16:
at wing: 47 GP, 4 minor penalties and 1 fight (22 points)
at center: 30 GP, 15 minor penalties (14 points)

2016-17:
at center: 81 GP, 30 minor penalties and 3 fights (26 points)

2017-18:
at center: 10 GP, 7 minor penalties (o points)
at wing: 72 GP, 20 minor penalties, 1 fight (26 points)

total
at center: 121 GP, 52 minor penalties or 1 penalty every 2.33 games (40 points)
at wing: 119 GP, 24 minor penalties or 1 penalty every 4.96 games (48 points)

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Regardless of whether they're better than other fourth lines, they're getting fourth line minutes this year based on the depth we've added. Unless they show they're better than our other options there's every reason to expect their numbers to regress.
I really hate this 4th line labeling. I'm hoping the minutes will be more like line #3a and #3b. Obviously the Monahan line if the team's #1 line and the Backlund line is the #2 line but in my opinion I see no difference between the other two lines.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I really hate this 4th line labeling. I'm hoping the minutes will be more like line #3a and #3b. Obviously the Monahan line if the team's #1 line and the Backlund line is the #2 line but in my opinion I see no difference between the other two lines.

I disagree- I think it will be a 1-2-2-4 situation once lindholm is moved to center. Neal on the top line is too tempting and I think Lindy deserves a shot at playing center with someone like tkachuk. Ryan has also been slated to get center time and Peters loves him

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I disagree- I think it will be a 1-2-2-4 situation once lindholm is moved to center. Neal on the top line is too tempting and I think Lindy deserves a shot at playing center with someone like tkachuk. Ryan has also been slated to get center time and Peters loves him
I would be very surprised if Lindholm plays center, on a regular basis, this year. The team has 4 centers; Monahan, Backlund, Ryan, and Jankowski.
Right wings, are what the team needs and that's the position Lindholm will most likely play at. … IMO.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
If Lindholm continues his play from game 1 he ain't being moved. He is exactly what the Dynamic Duo needed, a smart player who can play down low, is a good defensive player, can take face offs.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Have the Flames done enough to improve their goal scoring? Last season they scored 218 goals which was near the bottom of the league.
Note: Out of all the teams that made the playoffs last year the Ducks were the lowest scoring team with 235 goals.

Goals Out:
Hamilton - 17
Ferland - 21
Brouwer - 6
Stajan - 4
Versteeg - 3
Jagr - 1
Stewart -1
Shore - 1

Total: 54

Goals In:
Neal - 25
Lindholm - 16
Ryan - 15
Hanifin - 10
Czarnik - 0

Total: 66
In addition to the above...

Going from the third worst PP in the league last year (16%) to a middle of the pack PP (20.7%) the amount of goals the Flames scored on the PP alone would have increased from 43 goals to 56 goals.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
In addition to the above...

Going from the third worst PP in the league last year (16%) to a middle of the pack PP (20.7%) the amount of goals the Flames scored on the PP alone would have increased from 43 goals to 56 goals.
If the shooting percentage normalizes to what they had from 2013-14 through 2016-17, that could also be another 20-40 goals

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
This is the first time that we've had a stacked forward group in a decade. A decade.

I think the Sharks and Knights are going to give a run for our money, but all in all, I think we settle in as the #2 or #3 seed against the Knights or Kings with the Sharks going 1st in the division.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
One bit of negative prognostication that I have, is that the China trip will kick our top lines in the balls to start the season. I hate to say it but I honestly believe our best are going to look and be sluggish for the first handful of games and we could go something like 4-6-1 over the first 10 as a result.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
One bit of negative prognostication that I have, is that the China trip will kick our top lines in the balls to start the season. I hate to say it but I honestly believe our best are going to look and be sluggish for the first handful of games and we could go something like 4-6-1 over the first 10 as a result.

When they come back they will still have 4-5 preseason games left to iron out everything.

Reactions: Sk8M8

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Yeah, Bennett under Hartley was trending towards a power forward version of prime Jonathan Toews. Peters getting Bennett back on track to be our true #1C is the path to our Stanley Cup.

You poor deluded bast**d. Tre didn't pick up 2 centers, and promote Jankowski to give Sam another shot at center. Sam will have to produce if he is not to end up on the forth LW for the season. There are many players pushing for his spot in the line-up and unless Sam brings it he will be on the forth line.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I really think the Flames brought in more competition to push Bennett. Everything in front of Bennett is in his hands. FWIW, I think he will rise to the occasion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->