Are We More Than A Bubble Team Or Less Than One? How Scared/Excited Are You For The Season?

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I think we'll be the 3rd best Canadian team, but 4th best team in the Pacific unfortunately. I think we finish behind Vegas, San Jose and LA. Not sure if Anaheim's 2nd half last year was an anomaly. I think NSH, COL, DAL, and WPG round out the top 8 in the West. I guess LA and Dallas are the teams in my mind we'll be fighing with. Heck, Anaheim and Chicago will be still in the mix. Edmonton will be better than last year but not good enough.

Damn it's going to be a dog-fight this year.

I don’t buy into year over year stuff in terms of teams. Remember, oilers were a cup favourite a year ago. And I also don’t buy into the big fish summer pickup; because time and time again they end up more like Radulov pickups. I think Calgary will be better than Toronto this year.

Last year everything went wrong in Calgary. Everything. We still finished only ten points out.

When I look at everyone in Pacific’s roster, I think SJ is impressive on the backend, and then Calgary stacks up well against everyone else. I don’t buy into Vegas and I think LA will revert to a one line team. Everyone else strikes me as ready to take a step back or bad. I think this is the year we take the next step. We’ve been hovering around 85-95 points for the past 4 seasons. We’re deep, our defence looks more balanced and a healthy smithy can give us above average G.

Reactions: Sk8M8

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I can't believe Flower will have another season like he had and forgetting Flower, Vegas goalies up until their 5th string was still standing on his head. Like there is no way that happens again. Willy Karlsson isn't shooting 25% again. That horrid defence will inevitably collapse. I don't see Vegas being nearly as dominant as they were last year. Edmonton is Edmonton and added pretty much no depth and will be without Sekera the full year, who knows when Nurse gets signed. Vancouver will be horrid. LA is a three trick pony (albeit elite tricks).

Flames looked fairly good against Boston in the pre-season game (albeit without Selke Bergeron and Krejci) and that was with Tkachuk and Backs being our two worst players and Neal having a throw away game. So our entire 2nd line which should be able to put up pretty big numbers. I know it's pre-season and only 1 game at that, but we looked pretty solid out of the gate which is encouraging considering we usually look like complete ass for the first 6 weeks of the season.

All comes down to goaltending for me. If Smith stays relatively healthy and Rittich can be solid in a back up role like he was last year before Smith got injured we make the post season.

Johnny (24g, 71a)
Mony (43g, 40a)
Bae (30g, 35a)
Lindy (21g, 43a)
Neal (26g, 22a)
Backs (21g, 32a)
Bennett (22g, 26a)
Janko (19g, 25a)
Czarnik (17g, 26a)
Ryan (14g, 22a)
Fro (14g, 16a)
Dube (12g, 12a)
Gio (14g, 31a)
Brodie (4g, 33a)
Hanifin (12g, 32a)
not offensive at all rest of the d-core (4g, 10a)

Puts us at 290+ goals. Offensive powerhouse here we come. (inb4 we only score 210 goals for the year)
We only scored 210 goals last year

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I don’t buy into year over year stuff in terms of teams. Remember, oilers were a cup favourite a year ago. And I also don’t buy into the big fish summer pickup; because time and time again they end up more like Radulov pickups. I think Calgary will be better than Toronto this year.

Last year everything went wrong in Calgary. Everything. We still finished only ten points out.

When I look at everyone in Pacific’s roster, I think SJ is impressive on the backend, and then Calgary stacks up well against everyone else. I don’t buy into Vegas and I think LA will revert to a one line team. Everyone else strikes me as ready to take a step back or bad. I think this is the year we take the next step. We’ve been hovering around 85-95 points for the past 4 seasons. We’re deep, our defence looks more balanced and a healthy smithy can give us above average G.

Wow, you certainly are optimistic. Better than Toronto? I guess our D is better. A healthy Smith in goal will make us close to them in that department. I don't know, I think they're one of the top 5 in the East. I personally don't think we're better and IMO not a whole lot better than last year. Marginally better though and hopefully with some bounces going our way we swing upward in the final points tally and in the conference standings.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I think Calgary is still clearly a bubble team with big questions in net and our bottom 6 forwards.

I think SJ is clearly the class of the Pacific and shoukdvwin the division easily. I think the Central has better teams and should get 2 WC unless they beat up on each other too much.

That leaves Vegas, Calgary, Edmonton, Anaheim and L.A. fighting for two spots. I think any combo of those 4 teams could take the spots and would likey rank them Vegas, LA, Ana, Calgary, Edmonton.

Edit: forgot Vegas, added them in

Last edited:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I am excited about this season. We will make the play-offs by avoiding being the wild card. If, and its a big if, we get solid goaltending throughout the year I think we'll finish 3rd in the Pacific behind San Jose and Vegas.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
So many variables.

- Youngesters like Dube, Andersson, etc knocking on the door to be impact roster players
- Goaltending between Smiths's health and our backup options
- Is our scoring depth going to be that drastically better (I think it will be, but still)
- Is Czarnik actually an NHL forward
- Are we going to be a relatively healthy team
- Is Peters actually an upgrade on Gulutzan
- Can Hanifin be a top 4 defenseman this year

I like this Flames roster better than I have since the goal was still winning a cup with Iggy up front and Kipper in net. Probably since the off-season we picked up Bouwmeester. But this team hasn't taken the step forward yet from being a bubble team. We've spent too long each year chasing .500 hockey. Time to step up and lock down a spot in the top of the standings and stay there.

I think the Kings improved, the Sharks improved, Vegas is about the same strength on paper though I still have my doubts about them repeating their success. Vancouver I think is better on paper if only with their young guys. Edmonton is still a who the hell knows card. Arizona's second half last season was surprisingly good. Anaheim continues to contend for the division, even after last year missing so many key guys for so long. Our division isn't a cake walk by any stretch.

Our schedule is pretty rough for the start of the year. It will be a big indicator of the year to come in how they handle it.

BigRangy

Get well soon oliver
Mar 17, 2015
I think there's only one western team fanbase that expects to miss the playoffs this year. There is going to be a lot of disappointment.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I am excited, the Flames made a lot of the right moves. Not all of the right moves, but a lot of them.

Unfortunately the entire season may rest on Mike Smith's groin. Not thrilled about that.

Smith is the key here. Injuries can happen for any player, but not having Smith for, lets say half the season, can really be the end of playoff hopes. He's not the best player, but might the most important

Reactions: Karri Ramone

Turning Mangiapanese

Jun 18, 2011
Just curious, what do you mean by this? Radulov was an excellent signing by Dallas last year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Just curious, what do you mean by this? Radulov was an excellent signing by Dallas last year.

Everyone thought Radulov in Dallas was going to make them an absolute powerhouse. And while his production is more than fine; they still didn't sniff the playoffs, again. So, again, HFboards overreacted to a single player move.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Smith is the key here. Injuries can happen for any player, but not having Smith for, lets say half the season, can really be the end of playoff hopes. He's not the best player, but might the most important
I'm hoping that he's NOT the key. Really hoping that either Rittich or Gillies can step up and grab the bull by the horns. If we're depending on Smith to get us into the playoffs our future is bleak indeed. This is the season for Rittich or Gillies to show they belong in the NHL and that they have the makings of a #1 goalie. This is why the Flames signed Smith. He's a stop gap not the future. He was signed to give Rittich and Gillies two more years to develop.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Have the Flames done enough to improve their goal scoring? Last season they scored 218 goals which was near the bottom of the league.
Note: Out of all the teams that made the playoffs last year the Ducks were the lowest scoring team with 235 goals.

Goals Out:
Hamilton - 17
Ferland - 21
Brouwer - 6
Stajan - 4
Versteeg - 3
Jagr - 1
Stewart -1
Shore - 1

Total: 54

Goals In:
Neal - 25
Lindholm - 16
Ryan - 15
Hanifin - 10
Czarnik - 0

Total: 66

Last edited:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I'm hoping that he's NOT the key. Really hoping that either Rittich or Gillies can step up and grab the bull by the horns. If we're depending on Smith to get us into the playoffs our future is bleak indeed. This is the season for Rittich or Gillies to show they belong in the NHL and that they have the makings of a #1 goalie. This is why the Flames signed Smith. He's a stop gap not the future. He was signed to give Rittich and Gillies two more years to develop.

Yes, long term he's not. But talking only about the next season, a lot depends on Smith's performance. Good thing is Treliving has not gone all-in, unlike some fanbases like to think, and even if Flames miss playoffs this year, the future looks good.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Have the Flames done enough to improve their goal scoring? Last season they scored 218 goals which was near the bottom of the league.
Note: Out of all the teams that made the playoffs last year the Ducks were the lowest scoring team with 235 goals.

Goals Out:
Hamilton - 17
Ferland - 21
Brouwer - 6
Stajan - 4
Versteeg - 3
Jagr - 1
Stewart -1
Shore - 1

Goals In:
Neal - 25
Lindholm - 16
Ryan - 15
Hanifin - 10
Czarnik - 0

So, alone on face value alone, Calgary should score 230 goals.
That doesn't include any production from Czarnik, an improved PP or having two legit top 6 RW's now.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark

Goals Out:
Hamilton - 17
Ferland - 21
Brouwer - 6
Stajan - 4
Versteeg - 3
Jagr - 1
Stewart -1
Shore - 1

Goals In:
Neal - 25
Lindholm - 16
Ryan - 15
Hanifin - 10
Czarnik - 0

Keep in mind Czarnik almost never played last season. Also we had unsustainably bad shooting percentages. I think hitting 240 is not unreasonable.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Coaching is generally the biggest determinant in offensive output. Hopefully Peters in an improvement on Gulutzan in that regard but it's honestly not a particularly high bar.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
That doesn't include any production from Czarnik, an improved PP or having two legit top 6 RW's now.
Of course that's what I'm hoping for along with improved seasons from some of the guys who had below average ones last year.
I wonder if the Flames ability to score goals still keeps Treliving awake at night. He was pretty well bang on with his concern last year.

The Flames will have to also cut down on the number of goals that they allow. Last year they allowed 248 goals. That number just won't cut it even with an improved GF. Looking for Peters to have a real impact on this aspect of the game.

Last edited:

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
I don't necessarily want to rehash all of the improvements that the Flames have made this year and it is hard not to be optimistic about the season. Yes we may get dragged down to earth pretty quickly but if the first few pre-season games have shown anything it is the emphasis on the speed of the game. Peters fingerprints are all over it and we've since it from the rookies, the game in China, and I'm guessing tonight as well. That alone should make this season more exciting for the fan and more problematic for a lot of opponents. Combine that with the positional upgrades, the new power play systems and the general youth movement, I think we'll have a very dialled in and motivated group. Moreso than we've seen in years.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Everyone thought Radulov in Dallas was going to make them an absolute powerhouse. And while his production is more than fine; they still didn't sniff the playoffs, again. So, again, HFboards overreacted to a single player move.

I think it was the fact they added a lot. Methot, Bishop, Radulov should have greatly increased their overall team strength. Now there were definitely some fans that thought Radulov would catapult Benn and Seguin to new levels, similar to how we are hoping better wingers for Monahan and Gaudreau helps.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015

I see Czarnik popping in at least 15. With a PP that is even mid level it will add another 15+ goals. A Monahan with a healthy wrist for more than 50 games should add another 8-10. Backs getting his shooting percentage back to the norm should add another 5+. Neal adding 25 and Lindholm matching Ferlands 21 adds 25.

So that's 60 right there.

I am fairly optimistic we can be an offensive powerhouse and put up around 280 goals. Realistically I think we end up around 240-250 because Flames, but I can hope we see improvement and meet expectations.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
I can't believe Flower will have another season like he had and forgetting Flower, Vegas goalies up until their 5th string was still standing on his head. Like there is no way that happens again. Willy Karlsson isn't shooting 25% again. That horrid defence will inevitably collapse. I don't see Vegas being nearly as dominant as they were last year. Edmonton is Edmonton and added pretty much no depth and will be without Sekera the full year, who knows when Nurse gets signed. Vancouver will be horrid. LA is a three trick pony (albeit elite tricks).

Flames looked fairly good against Boston in the pre-season game (albeit without Selke Bergeron and Krejci) and that was with Tkachuk and Backs being our two worst players and Neal having a throw away game. So our entire 2nd line which should be able to put up pretty big numbers. I know it's pre-season and only 1 game at that, but we looked pretty solid out of the gate which is encouraging considering we usually look like complete ass for the first 6 weeks of the season.

All comes down to goaltending for me. If Smith stays relatively healthy and Rittich can be solid in a back up role like he was last year before Smith got injured we make the post season.

Johnny (24g, 71a)
Mony (43g, 40a)
Bae (30g, 35a)
Lindy (21g, 43a)
Neal (26g, 22a)
Backs (21g, 32a)
Bennett (22g, 26a)
Janko (19g, 25a)

Czarnik (17g, 26a)
Ryan (14g, 22a)
Fro (14g, 16a)
Dube (12g, 12a)
Gio (14g, 31a)
Brodie (4g, 33a)
Hanifin (12g, 32a)
not offensive at all rest of the d-core (4g, 10a)

Puts us at 290+ goals. Offensive powerhouse here we come. (inb4 we only score 210 goals for the year)

By virtue of other guys coming in and taking playing time/ straight up just not being that good, I anticipate that the three I highlighted will underpreform this year. I think if we get 20-20 out of backlund that would be healthy. I pray we see those numbers out of Benny and Janko but as one or both will definitely be trooping on the 4th line, and Bennett has shown pretty poorly the last few seasons, I would say hoping for 10 goals out of each is... generous. Taking their combined goal output from 60 goals down to about 35 or so is much more realistic IMO.

Still gives us lots of offensive firepower and doesn't force us to hope (blindly) that Bennett will miraculously become a NHL producer.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
I see Czarnik popping in at least 15. With a PP that is even mid level it will add another 15+ goals. A Monahan with a healthy wrist for more than 50 games should add another 8-10. Backs getting his shooting percentage back to the norm should add another 5+. Neal adding 25 and Lindholm matching Ferlands 21 adds 25.

So that's 60 right there.

I am fairly optimistic we can be an offensive powerhouse and put up around 280 goals. Realistically I think we end up around 240-250 because Flames, but I can hope we see improvement and meet expectations.

Because Flames is a good argument.
But I agree. With an improved PP, depth and RW depth; this team should be among the higher tier of scoring. Monahan should hit 40; and Neal could very well get back to near 30 with the PP assignment he'll be getting.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad