Are we EVER getting NHL Network?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I seem to remember that LAST October, the NHL promised that NHL network would be carried on Comcast Digital Cable.

Then a year passed....and we were told...by October we would get NHL network.

Almost 16 months later, I'm still waiting...

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
At this point I would settle for the league trying to expand the number of places that Versus can be picked up and for improving and expanding coverage on there. I wish Versus could pick up a few other "major" sports or events to get more interest as well. A seperate network would be nice but I would imagine it is still a few seasons away at best.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
At this point I would settle for the league trying to expand the number of places that Versus can be picked up and for improving and expanding coverage on there. I wish Versus could pick up a few other "major" sports or events to get more interest as well. A seperate network would be nice but I would imagine it is still a few seasons away at best.

No...it already exists, it's just exclusive to Canada.

A Good Flying Bird*

Off topic, but I've been thinking about getting Center Ice through Digital Cable ...
Anyone know how much it will cost, half way through the season? Is there a discount?

Also, are any center ice channels in HD?

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
For the most part people in the US aren't missing anything. Other than a few old NHL Home Videos, a few "classic" NHL games and the odd simulcast of a game from a US network, the NHL Network is a waste of money. If you can't get NHL Center Ice, then perhaps you might like NHL on the Fly, an all-night highlight show that occasionally shows 2 minute live look-ins on games. I wouldn't get my hopes too high for this channel as its not worth the money.

Really, I find the whole network frustrating as they fail to show my Kings' games, when its the only game still being shown. I mean why cut away from a live look-in when there's no other games to show?

puck57

Dec 21, 2004
No...it already exists, it's just exclusive to Canada.

I don't live in Canada, so that is why I referenced Versus. I know that you get the NHL network in Canada- I presumed the post was started by someone in the States where we do NOT have the network.

realgoodleafs

Oct 29, 2006
SW Ontario
Off topic, but I've been thinking about getting Center Ice through Digital Cable ...
Anyone know how much it will cost, half way through the season? Is there a discount?

Also, are any center ice channels in HD?

I have Rogers digital cable and its abour 26 or 27 bucks a month but I don't think they have HD because they just redirect feeds from the home teams station that is broadcasting. I don't have an HDTV so I haven't really checked but I don't think I've seen any. We pay monthly so I imagine you could start anytime...I think in the states that they have to pay 4 payments over the course of the season though.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
I recall seeing something like $119 for "half" a season of Center Ice (which is $149 for a full season if purchased "early" or $169 "regularly" priced).

CI is "advertising" they have "select" games in HD.

I'm not aware that my local Comcast does (or is able) to do HD for CI (or any of the other ppv sports channels). I know they have two "unassigned" HD channels that often carries my local regional coverage.

I think my local Comcast *may* be carrying some of the HD games on Versus on one of two ad hoc channels.

(But as I haven't upgraded the monitor/display, I haven't been too diligent to pursing it.)

EbencoyE

Nov 26, 2006
For the most part people in the US aren't missing anything. Other than a few old NHL Home Videos, a few "classic" NHL games and the odd simulcast of a game from a US network, the NHL Network is a waste of money. If you can't get NHL Center Ice, then perhaps you might like NHL on the Fly, an all-night highlight show that occasionally shows 2 minute live look-ins on games. I wouldn't get my hopes too high for this channel as its not worth the money.

Really, I find the whole network frustrating as they fail to show my Kings' games, when its the only game still being shown. I mean why cut away from a live look-in when there's no other games to show?

Hopefully they would do more with the NHL Network if they expanded it to the States.

It could easily become a hockey haven and central location for TV coverage if done right. (Similar to the Fox Soccer Channel for Soccer Fans)

They could show international tournaments not normally shown on U.S. TV (World Juniors, World Championships, U18's, etc) and European club hockey (Spengler Cup, ECC, Conti Cup, national league championships, etc) Not to mention minor league, college, and junior hockey from here in North America.

Add all that with 24 hour hockey coverage with the occasional weeknight NHL game and it could be a huge hit with hockey fans.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
I was really hoping that VS's would become more like NHL Network. It was great to be a hockey fan during last years playoffs. Youngblood, Warriors, Legends of Hockey and almost 2 games per night were heaven to me.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
It's the NHL... do they ever get anything done? I didn't get my hopes up after not seeing it in the fall. It's never going to come!

Shootmaster_44

Sep 10, 2005
Saskatoon
Hopefully they would do more with the NHL Network if they expanded it to the States.

It could easily become a hockey haven and central location for TV coverage if done right. (Similar to the Fox Soccer Channel for Soccer Fans)

They could show international tournaments not normally shown on U.S. TV (World Juniors, World Championships, U18's, etc) and European club hockey (Spengler Cup, ECC, Conti Cup, national league championships, etc) Not to mention minor league, college, and junior hockey from here in North America.

Add all that with 24 hour hockey coverage with the occasional weeknight NHL game and it could be a huge hit with hockey fans.

The problem with a lot of your ideas is that broadcast rights to many of these tournaments are held by TSN in Canada and attract a larger audience than the NHL Network has. The NHL Network is a subsidiary of TSN and therefore the big ratings games and tournaments end up on the main network.

I would say its the American equivalent of the NCAA Men's basketball tournament. The play-in game for number 65 is shown on another network than CBS as it gets worse ratings than the rest of the tournament. That's why Spike TV or whatever network showed it the past year doesn't have more of the tournament. Showing the Worlds and World Juniors on the NHL Network live takes the same logic in Canada. I do believe that the NHL Network broadcast replays of the games TSN showed however. So for an American audience,the games would be on, just at say 1 AM ET instead of live.

As well a few of those tournaments, such as the Spengler Cup have their rights held by Rogers Sportsnet, as a result the NHL Network could not broadcast the tournament until the IIHF's (or whoever sells the rights) contract with Sportsnet is finished. As well the CHL's contract is held by Rogers Sportsnet.

The NHL Network does show an ECHL Game of the Week and the occassional NCAA game. However, the problem with games at that level and lower minor leagues is that there is no TV coverage of these leagues and the NHL Network rarely, if ever, sends their own crews to cover a game. Instead, they simply simulcast the games. So it would take a major investment by the NHL for the network to become what you hoped it would be.

What I wish the NHL Network would do is simulcast the few CIS hockey games that are shown regionally around Canada. The problem with this may be that The Score holds the rights to national CIS broadcasts in all sports and as a result the NHL Network may not be allowed to simulcast the regional broadcasts. However, I really doubt the CIS would put up a huge fuss as they want greater exposure to their sports across Canada.

Lou's Koolaid

I live here
Jan 12, 2007
KWT660
If the NHL network can be added to the U.S centre ice package, that would be great because i miss alot of games on centre ice with having Devils season tickets and going to alot of minor leauge games. The on the fly show was on versus sometimes last season but, having no NHL tonight is shame ESPN only shows a select few highlights everynight. While FSN's the final score shows pretty much every game its a very condenced highlight show.

puckhead103*

yeah....they keep playing the same old vintage hockey games.....

a real waste to tv space...:clap:

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
^ Hmm according to that article they may have it up and running by the playoffs.

It would be the 4th time they would have it up and running by a particular point in the season if it ever followed through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad