Are we built for the playoffs ?

Intense

Jan 18, 2011
new-york-attorneys.blogspot.com
I think we are built for the regular season and will have a hard time making noise in the playoffs, sadly. We're getting offense from the powerplay and refs keep their whistle in their pockets come playoffs time.

In the regular season Gallagher would draw penalties by crashing the net and getting abused but the reffing we saw tonight will be the same in the playoffs, so we won't gain an advantage off of that. We have a good team, speedy and skilled, but like it has been for years, we're still too small and soft. Thoughts ?

Alaix

I believe.
Mar 30, 2010
It's only one bad game....

Remember what happened after the last Toronto meltdown?

dgeezus

Aug 26, 2011
Yeah, you are right, that's why MTL is 3rd in the NHL at even strength.

25get

Nov 15, 2012
Montreal
We sem to think that we do not hit.
We have 924 hits for the 18th position.
Chicago has 686.

No simple answer to the question but after a game against the leafs where the referees were in PO mode (no whistle) it is legitimate to ask questions.

But anyone tells me that we lost against the leafs because we are not physical enough is certainly wrong. No way to win when you out-shoot the opponent by 2-1 but you give 4 goals in 4 shot in first period.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
IMO we're built for the playoffs but this isn't our year to seriously contend for the cup...I think that will happen in 2-3 years when Subban, Patches and Price are in their prime and Galch/Gally/Eller/Beaulieu are more mature and as long as we still have some great vets like Pleks and hopefully Bourque + others

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
10 regulation losses in 41 games, I'm curious as to know what it was last year at this point.

Apr 28, 2010
I think we are built for the regular season and will have a hard time making noise in the playoffs, sadly. We're getting offense from the powerplay and refs keep their whistle in their pockets come playoffs time.

In the regular season Gallagher would draw penalties by crashing the net and getting abused but the reffing we saw tonight will be the same in the playoffs, so we won't gain an advantage off of that. We have a good team, speedy and skilled, but like it has been for years, we're still too small and soft. Thoughts ?

Let me ask you this, what did you expect before the season started? Im sure you didnt expect the team to be in 2nd place, right? So who knows in the POs. We'll never know until we get there.

We cannot overreact. Habs need this kind of adversity, imo.

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
No, we're not.

26547477.jpg

:sarcasm:

Aceekay

Oct 9, 2011
Victoria
I have a serious problem with our defense and 3 forwards. Until we get better depth on defence and replacements for a few forwards we won't win more then one round

TRG

Oct 23, 2008
Montréal
But to be fair, yes, the defense is much worse without Emelin. Hopefully Diaz comes back soon.

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
I think the team is better equipped than years past strictly from the viewpoint that the habs don't rely on the special teams as much as they used to. That's important because calls do dry up in the playoffs.

The depth on defense is a concern, though. Diaz needs to come back, and the habs simply cannot afford another injury to the current top 3.

Habsawce

Nov 16, 2010
Canada
Get Tinordi back into play!

Tinordi fits the bill for the need on the back end and it's a little odd that he didn't get called up. Maybe they wanted him to finish up in HAM before getting called up since he's part of the leadership group down there, who knows.

THat being said, he's big, strong, can clear the crease and has been a leader everywhere he's played. He's a big part of this team going forward so what would hurt getting him playoff experience and go through the learning curve with the group.

I'm confident enough that this will happen so I'll just sit back and wait.

Roulin

Mar 21, 2007
Montreal

5v5: 82 goals for, 60 goals against. I don't think you can make the case that this team has over-relied on the PP.

Also, there are actually more power plays in the 1st round than in the regular season: http://drivingplay.blogspot.ca/2012/03/power-plays-in-first-round-of-playoffs.html

...and http://www.nucksmisconduct.com/2012...-do-refs-put-the-whistle-away-in-the-playoffs

Last edited:

Undertakerqc

Dec 24, 2011

We are not, we are still way too small at center. We will be contender once both Plekanec and Desharnais are no longer center on this team.

coolasprICE

Mar 7, 2008
Montreal
Pateryn may be a part of the answer

This. I don't follow the dogs so I was wondering if he was injured or something. Definitely agree with you. Beaulieu will be sent down IMO and wouldn't mind he get a 2nd chance (if he deserves it, not sure how he's been playing).

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Still feel like we need more size and grit. That will come in the following years.

Still, we've got an outside shot at doing something. Very young team that's done really well this year. Even if we don't go past the first round, I'll still consider this season a huge step forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad