Speculation: Are we better or worse off with......

Bruins/Sabres incoming vs Hurricanes/Blue Jackets outgoing

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Answering these types of questions always becomes a trap since the answer given invariably ends up being the result that hurts us when the games are played. :)

A "be careful what you wish for" trap, if you will.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I believe we are much better off. Carolina is obviously really good and probably will be for years to come, so not going to miss them in our division. The Jackets are always a very physical team which previously always gave us fits. Buh bye!

Boston although being good, but older and may be going downhill a bit, while Buffalo isnt anyone's redheaded stepchild any longer.

I believe we Ranger fans will have more vested interest with that Orig6 hated Bruins team (at least for my fellow old folk) and what quite possibly could become a NEW hated rival in Buffalo if they continue their rise in stature. Just my take.
The fans are the winners here, imho.

Reactions: Cmox

Leetch3

Jul 14, 2009
The thing that hurts us is no wild cards...past years 5 teams from our division would make the playoffs. This year only 5

Reactions: bl02

cwede

Sep 1, 2010
I wont miss a season of Canes/Jackets,
getting Buff during this perhaps only Hall/Eichel season could be interesting,
as may be more games vs Pasta/Marchand

Bluto

Don't listen to me, I'm an idiot. TOGA! TOGA!
Dec 24, 2017
Rivalries are always better than an easy schedule.
Buffalo hates NYR more than NYR hates them.

All solid rivalries. All teams i dislike. Will be a good year watching hockey.

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
With the much hated Bruins and the perennially weak Sabres (maybe no more), replacing the very solid Hurricanes and usually tough Blue Jackets........
Did we make out?
And what is your reasoning.

moot ?

excellence requires we persevere thru all competitors, weak or strong

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I would say much worse because we beat the Hurricanes so much in the regular season.

Also the Blue Jackets are low-key kinda

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I suspect the Bruins window has pretty much closed. They've got their top line and some good support forwards in Krejci, Coyle and Debrusk. I'm a bit more iffy on Kase and Craig Smith. I think they're going to miss Krug a lot and also Chara if they don't re-sign him. They're going to have a vulnerable left side of their D if they don't. They're also not very deep in quality prospects. The other question mark is Rask. They are pretty much an old team though and like the Caps, the Pens and the Isles they're more about maintaining and not getting worse than they are getting better.

The Sabres are a team for me that I'm going to actually have to see them play well for an extended period of time to believe it. That's a team to me that's developed a loser's gene in their DNA.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
We seem to have trouble with Columbus, and we always beat Carolina. Boston is still a strong team don’t get it twisted. Sabres I’m not worried about

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don’t see the Bruins being as much of an issue than in past seasons, they are on the way down, where as Carolina and the Blue Jackets are on their way up. Boston is also banged up , and other teams can take an advantage.

Sabres may have the biggest advantage Here since they don’t have a full 2nd half of a season to fall apart. Lol.

Have to watch out for Washington, Flyers, and the Islanders. They are all threats and can easily take 3 out of 4 of those spots. The last one is going to be a battle.

So um to answer the poll question think they are a little worse off but anything is possible.

Last edited:

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
We seem to have trouble with Columbus, and we always beat Carolina. Boston is still a strong team don’t get it twisted. Sabres I’m not worried about

I would agree about Boston, but I thought Marchand and Pasta were out till like Feb/March/maybe later? That is a huge hole in their Top 6. Unless I read it wrong. If those guys are back then Boston is going to be a concern.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I think Buffalo has the potential to be decent and Boston is better than Carolina/Columbus and we always struggle against them. I'd say worse.

FartMilk

Jan 19, 2019
Boston, like most things Boston, is overrated. They lost Krug and are likely without Chara. Marchand is out a few games and Pastrnak looking like a month. Also, "hated"? Who on the Bruins is hated besides Marchand? Bergeron is as classy as it gets. Pastrnak is a fun guy. Krejci is respectable. Rask? No. Chara? No. Are people just trying to hate them or something? It's a pretty milquetoast roster.

Buffalo should be better. It's do or die for Eichel's time there. I can see them doing better this year but just missing out. Hall was a big signing for them. They still have Dahlin.

Last edited by a moderator:

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I suspect the Bruins window has pretty much closed. They've got their top line and some good support forwards in Krejci, Coyle and Debrusk. I'm a bit more iffy on Kase and Craig Smith. I think they're going to miss Krug a lot and also Chara if they don't re-sign him. They're going to have a vulnerable left side of their D if they don't. They're also not very deep in quality prospects. The other question mark is Rask. They are pretty much an old team though and like the Caps, the Pens and the Isles they're more about maintaining and not getting worse than they are getting better.

The Sabres are a team for me that I'm going to actually have to see them play well for an extended period of time to believe it. That's a team to me that's developed a loser's gene in their DNA.
The B's window maybe closed but they are still going to be a tough out. A very tough out.

The Sabres combination of Eichel and Hall is going to be tough to contain.

Roo Returns

Skjeikspeare No More
Mar 4, 2010
Westchester, NY
Boston could be a pain. Let's see how their goaltending hold ups.

Buffalo is improving....but after their first line and first D pair not much is scary unless Carter Hutton goes Jacques Plante on the Rangers.

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I would say much worse because we beat the Hurricanes so much in the regular season.

Also the Blue Jackets are low-key kinda

Carolina showed us THAT just may be a thing of the past. Especially without the psychological advantage that Hank held over their heads.
Until this team gels (hopefully strides with this shortened season) Carolina is clearly a cut above, so.....buh bye!
I have MUCH MORE FUN watching Rangers/Bees

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Carolina is on the rise and becoming the Bruins while Columbus will suffocate offenses IMO.

Bruins are rough and extending that last leg while i see the Sabres as the least physical of the four teams.

Reactions: Larrybiv

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I think Buffalo has the potential to be decent and Boston is better than Carolina/Columbus and we always struggle against them. I'd say worse.
But we play VERY WELL with Boston, those games are ALWAYS a sight to see. Or, maybe its just ME?
Those games with Buffalo are going to be very indicative on how our team is shaping up. Winnable games vs an upswing team. What I am concerned with..... is our hierarchy watching "too much" Eichel and falling in love with "having to acquire him". That would be disastrous, imho.

Reactions: Hire Sather

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
Carolina is on the rise and becoming the Bruins while Columbus will suffocate offenses IMO.

Bruins are rough and extending that last leg while i see the Sabres as the least physical of the four teams.
So, what did you vote? Wasnt about "toughness" about teams, maybe you misunderstood what I meant.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
So, what did you vote? Wasnt about "toughness" about teams, maybe you misunderstood what I meant.

i voted better off b/c i’d rather play Buffalo who is less physical while i perceive Boston and Carolina similar and Columbus is a suffocating defense.

1 Boston
2 Carolina
3 Columbus
4 Buffalo (a distant 4th)

I’ll opt the Rangers better off playing against 1 and a distant 4 rather than 2 and 3

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Carolina showed us THAT just may be a thing of the past. Especially without the psychological advantage that Hank held over their heads.
Until this team gels (hopefully strides with this shortened season) Carolina is clearly a cut above, so.....buh bye!
I have MUCH MORE FUN watching Rangers/Bees
The Bruins curb stomped Carolina the round after that.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad