OT: Are ticket priceses too high?

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
To me it looks like an issue that has a few parties involved, though in here one party seems hell bent on blaming the other entirely.

It appears to me that ticket prices reflect the market in Ottawa, as they should, and generally costs have been kept at a level that has made going to games relatively reasonable for the average fans.

As JD1 pointed out, this market and the owner had a cap team relationship when the cap was down around 40 million, and as it rose each year we started to see the budget climb, but also eventually we stopped being a cap team. The owner and fan relationship seems to peak out in the 60 million dollar range, but beyond that I don't really see EM as being wealthy enough to subsidize a cap team in the strength of profits from other businesses, and I don't see the fan base being willing or able to pony up the increased costs and interest to fill a 20000 seat arena at Vancouver prices to fund an NHL cap team when the cap is over 80 million.

I think a real problem here is the league as a whole has been running on the strength of a few teams, that have been driving up the cap each year, and also on an inflated sense of what a team is worth. Looking at league-wide attendance numbers it seems crazy that a team in Seattle could cost a person 600 million. A real level playing field would be a capping of the cap, a reduction of ticket prices, and a push to fill the arenas in all markets by offering tickets at what is affordable for each market, with revenue sharing being worked out to ensure that owners share profits somewhat equally, but the stands are full across the league. Very utopian for sure, but fan apathy is a huge problem in many markets, as fans are choosing to stay at home, not get together in groups to catch games, and generally not be a passionate about the team as a whole.

Ottawa will never be able to sustain a 100 million dollar cap team, nor is it realistic to assume a billionaire of any stripe would subsidize one, it's just not realistic, and many markets are the same. If the cap was around 50 - 60 million, maybe even 70 million, then absolutely this market could have a cap team year in and out. Something needs to change because all of the parity and cost controlling that was fought for in previous agreements is being undermined by the increasing cap, and an inability of more and more teams to reach it.

My apologies for rambling, I don't have time to edit at the moment.

Reactions: Stylizer1

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
priceses -> princesses -> ticket princesses... something could be done around that concept to boost ticket sales... Now would some people call these ticket princesses cheap.. sure but you can't listen to stuff like that.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
priceses -> princesses -> ticket princesses... something could be done around that concept to boost ticket sales... Now would some people call these ticket princesses cheap.. sure but you can't listen to stuff like that.

Lmao as if I didn't realize til now. I was like what's this guy going on about?

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad