OT: Are there people who still remember the Maroons?

penaltykiller

Feb 19, 2007
province of quebec
I know that this is possibly a dumb topic . but I am curious. The Maroons played their final season in 1937-38. This means that the person must have been born at least in 1930.

Do they remember what the rivalry was like between them and the Habs? How long did it take for them to switch sides after the team was gone? Do they remember the 1935 Stanley Cup win?

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
A friend of my late grandfather (who has also passed away a few years ago) knew several members of the Maroons when she was a kid. Her dad was friends with a couple of the players and they all used to come to her parents' place for Sunday breakfast followed by a pick-up game of hockey that they called a "Dimanche matin". So she knew all these now legendary players such as Nels Stewart, Hooley Smith and Babe Siebert personally. Of course, in those days, pro hockey players barely eked out a living so they were the epitome of "just plain folks".

Reactions: Chili

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I know that this is possibly a dumb topic . but I am curious. The Maroons played their final season in 1937-38. This means that the person must have been born at least in 1930.

Do they remember what the rivalry was like between them and the Habs? How long did it take for them to switch sides after the team was gone? Do they remember the 1935 Stanley Cup win?

There's a poster here who was around then, born in 1929 if I recall correctly. He posts irregularly these days but he may recall something. If you see a post by @Teufelsdreck, that's your guy.

Nikohab

Nov 16, 2017
I'm too young to remember the Montreal Maroons but I believe there were 2 official teams and they decided to go with the French team Les Canadiens and that was the end of the Maroons. I would rather have the Burgandy with white stripes than the Blue, blanc and rouge.

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
I have read one book about the Maroons, so I am sort of an expert.

Clint Benedict was the first goalie to wear a mask , but the owner made him take it off the next game, cause it looked stupid .

Nels "old poison" Stewart was a fearsome power forward, biggest in the league, 6foot, 190lbs. Was the rival of Howie Morenz.

The Maroons suspected that the Canadiens burned down the Westmount arena, to get out of their lease, so they could play at the Maroons ' rink...the Montreal Forum..

Traditionally, the Maroons were supported by anglos, and the Canadiens by francophones

The Maroons won two Stanley Cups. Had a few big wins against the Habs in the playoffs, and many more defeats.

They folded in 1938, just before WW2. The owners, and the fans alike were affected by the Great Depression. The owners couldn't pay the stars, so they sold them off. The fans had less disposable income. The successful Canadiens, now playing at the bigger Forum, stole some of the fanbase.

That's most of what you need to know, not that anyone asked...but if you were curious .

Reactions: Chili

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
I believe Nels Stewart was a Montrealer. When he retired, he had the most goals in league history, which wasn`t broken for quite a few years (by the Rocket in the early `50`s).

Vegas could win the Cup in their first year, Maroons came close winning in their second season, beating three teams along the way.

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
oh i remember the maroons alright. bunch of old sports playing out of westmount. in those days you could buy a whole pizza for a nickel and during thanksgiving we referred to turkeys as walking birds. and nothing winds me up more than young people saying ' chill out'. jiminy Christmas. peepers. i miss the morons

hotcarle

Jul 10, 2009
vd, qc, ca
oh i remember the maroons alright. bunch of old sports playing out of westmount. in those days you could buy a whole pizza for a nickel and during thanksgiving we referred to turkeys as walking birds. and nothing winds me up more than young people saying ' chill out'. jiminy Christmas. peepers. i miss the morons
Obviously lying , nobody ate pizza back then. There was widespread anti-italianism. People stopped Italians from crossing at Lacolle, fleeing fascist Italy.

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
Someone should bring back the Maroons so that we are no longer stuck with the Molson monopoly.

Free the Maroons!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad