Are there any young stars that you expect to regress or improve significantly this season?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Last year we saw the emergence of many young stars. Point per game numbers were through the roof, and it ended up being an impressive crop of rookies and sophmores.

Do you expect any of these young studs to regress significantly?

Couple stat charts. I highlighted players that had high goal outputs, I used a scale for ppg, and I also higlighted players that had low minutes compared to the others on the lists.

Forwards U23

VtQknqS.jpg

Defence U23

hHlA5fg.jpg

If I had to guess, I think:

Regress - Provorov's goal totals, Boeser's overall totals, Pastgrnak's overall totals

Improve - Hanifan's overall totals, Eichel's overall totals, Matthews overall totals

All speculation, don't take it too seriously. Bored at work and ready for the real season.

mitchmagic

Apr 25, 2006
Montreal, Qc
www.typeonefilms.com
Domi will improve in the goals department, as will Mete. Drouin will do much better on the wing this year. I think Barzal also scores even more than last year. Barkov will hit PPG this year.

Rantanen will take a step back.

These predictions are based on absolutely nothing.

Reactions: dukeofjive and Ares

RandomChickenWing

Sep 11, 2015
I'm thinking Chabot will improve if not only for the fact that he'll get tons of icetime and PP opportunities.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't know that I expect Sergachev to "regress," but I do think he's going to have a hard time equaling his point total from last year. Seemed like the league took notice of him about halfway through the season and his point totals fell off a cliff. I haven't seen anything in the pre-season to suggest he's going to overcome that immediately, and I wouldn't be shocked to see him put up somewhere in the neighborhood of 30 points as opposed to the 40+ a lot of the TB fanbase is expecting.

That said, I think Sergachev will take steps forward this year and become, overall, a better player. Last year, despite that point total, had plenty of hiccups.

I think Brayden Point will establish himself as one of the better, if not the best, two-way centers in the league this year. I know that's a tall order, but his skillset keeps improving. I think 80+ points is possible, especially if TB gives him time on our very crowded 1st PP unit.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Matthews and Marner should hit 90 points if their stacked pp lineup results is any indication,

Reactions: jasonleaffan

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Assuming all are healthy.

Marner might lead the leafs in points, he's usually getting the 2nd or 3rd last touch on the puck before the shot and he also carries it in. So he might explode. honestly anywhere from 75-100 points hard to say.

Larkin I think will explode a bit, with a better team this year. I could see 75 points or more points.

I don't see Rantanen as ppg+ player, he should regress but not so much his goal scoring, he's had two years of 15% shooting or better if that's the norm then he should hit 30 goals but 30-35 assists.

If Sergachev is in a bigger and not sheltered role I think he could slump too.

Ares

May 8, 2018
Maurice has shackled Patrik Laine to Bryan Little for another season. I expect he's not going to get anywhere close to his goal total from last season.

PuckItUp27

Sep 26, 2017
Barzal - stay the same or slightly improve

Beauvillier and Pulock will improve tremendously.

30gs for Beau and I can see 15 Gs 40 As for Pulock

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Nylander to regress.
Considering he might not even be in the opening night lineup, and if he is, will have missed all of camp.

Hard for me to imagine considering he produced pretty well with what looks like less icetime than many above him (by 1-4 minutes). If he gets a couple more minutes a game, I can't see him dropping.

I think Bo and Boeser are both going to drop this year. The Hughes brothers might be reunited afterall.

Puckhead44

May 16, 2018
Assuming all are healthy.

Marner might lead the leafs in points, he's usually getting the 2nd or 3rd last touch on the puck before the shot and he also carries it in. So he might explode. honestly anywhere from 75-100 points hard to say.

Larkin I think will explode a bit, with a better team this year. I could see 75 points or more points.

I don't see Rantanen as ppg+ player, he should regress but not so much his goal scoring, he's had two years of 15% shooting or better if that's the norm then he should hit 30 goals but 30-35 assists.

If Sergachev is in a bigger and not sheltered role I think he could slump too.

How is Detroit a better team this year?

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
I do not know why Vrana's shooting percentage was so low last year so he should have a positive goal regression even if he had the same number of opportunities plus he opens the season on Backstrom's wing and is in a contract year.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Hard for me to imagine considering he produced pretty well with what looks like less icetime than many above him (by 1-4 minutes). If he gets a couple more minutes a game, I can't see him dropping.

I think Bo and Boeser are both going to drop this year. The Hughes brothers might be reunited afterall.
You wouldn’t happen to be a Leafs fan, perchance?
Horvat and Boeser will be fine. Lol!

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

poutineprofessor92

Jun 28, 2011
Expect Draisaitl to regress more as he's strapped with Lucic instead of McDavid. Should see a spike in production from whoever plays the most on the right side of McDavid. Rattie most likely but hopefully Puljujärvi gets a shot and if he does, his production should drastically increase

Reactions: JohnnyT91

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Improve. Pool party. Rattie. Another step for Barzal to about 90 points as he’s the go to guy from day one. He becomes the next young superstar imo. A step for Marner to 75 points.
Horvat takes another step as he has every year.
Regress. Nylander. Maybe Rantanen.

pi314

Jun 10, 2017
Windsor, ON
I'm most interested to see if MacKinnon will repeat.

I believe he can and will... but there have been other 1 or 2 year wonders in the past.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad