Are there 8 teams who would reject the latest rumour?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Bettman has a clause in his contract that states - if he rejects a cba proposal, he only needs 8 teams to support him and the deal is off. The 50 mill hard cap + exemption is a betrayal to the smaller markets and many fiscal hawks will not agree to it. Are there enough small market votes + hawks to kill this deal?

likea

Jul 9, 2004
no, this is a great deal for the owners

esp if the franchise player has limitations like years played for the team

most teams will not want to pay dollar for dollar over 40 million so most the big market teams will probably stop at 40 million and have one franchise type player above the small markets

esp. if draft picks are stripped from the team at say 43 million with the luxery tax

SENSible1*

Mr Sakich said:
Bettman has a clause in his contract that states - if he rejects a cba proposal, he only needs 8 teams to support him and the deal is off. The 50 mill hard cap + exemption is a betrayal to the smaller markets and many fiscal hawks will not agree to it. Are there enough small market votes + hawks to kill this deal?

You are assuming Bettman won't sign off on the deal.

I would hope that would be the case, but I don't think you can count on it.

Watts02

Oct 13, 2003
My Island
Visit site
Calgary, Edmonton, Anaheim, Nashville, Carolina, Buffalo, Atlanta, columbus, Minny, Gary knew this could happen I am sure he has more then what I listed, probably closer to 12 for sure I bet.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Mr Sakich said:

Who said that Bettman is going to reject this proposal ??? (if it's even accurate)

The Fuhr*

Mr Sakich said:

I love the deal. I was hoping for a 50 million dollar hard cap and that is appently what there is. I am a sens fan and I dont think a 35 million dollar hard cap is fair. Why should the Sens be penolized for having good players? The sens can keep all there good players for under 50 million dollars but 35 million, so long Hossa, Chara Redden and that just doesn,t seem fair to me. If you draft and develop your players you should be able to keep them

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
The 50 mill hard cap + exemption is a betrayal to the smaller markets and many fiscal hawks will not agree to it

that's opinion, not fact. and opinion based on pure speculation, just like the rest of us

Watts02

Oct 13, 2003
My Island
Visit site
So my question then is this, if the league is bringing in a new proposal to the NHLPA do they have all of the owners blessing on it going into the meeting? Probably have a good idea of how the vote would go but people still have to remember The owners will still get to vote on it to say yes or no. And there are more then 8 teams which need a very favorable CBA this time. And I don't think this one is just quiet it yet.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
Fuhr86 said:
I love the deal. I was hoping for a 50 million dollar hard cap and that is appently what there is. I am a sens fan and I dont think a 35 million dollar hard cap is fair. Why should the Sens be penolized for having good players? The sens can keep all there good players for under 50 million dollars but 35 million, so long Hossa, Chara Redden and that just doesn,t seem fair to me. If you draft and develop your players you should be able to keep them

Gotta luv you Sens fans. If it weren't for your previous owner's ability to screw enough pensioners out of thier life savings, you guys would be cheering for the Kansas City Senators. Now that you have a rich owner who is treating his franchise as a toy, you guys couldn't care less about the financial shape of smaller markets.

SENSible1*

Mr Sakich said:
Now that you have a rich owner who is treating his franchise as a toy, you guys couldn't care less about the financial shape of smaller markets.

Many Sens fans have unfortunately taken this attitude.

I'd prefer to see all teams healthy and the Sens dominate the league due to their ability to draft and develop talent.

ladybugblue

May 5, 2004
Edmonton, AB
Proposal

I cannot for the life of me see the NHL giving the NHLPA a proposal that they haven't already gotten approval on...Yes Bettman can nicks a proposal from the NHLPA but they are making the proposal so I would assume they already have the approval of the owners to go forth. It would seem really silly to put a proposal and then have their own camp reject it. Now if the NHLPA was giving the proposal that would be different...

The Fuhr*

Mr Sakich said:
Gotta luv you Sens fans. If it weren't for your previous owner's ability to screw enough pensioners out of thier life savings, you guys would be cheering for the Kansas City Senators. Now that you have a rich owner who is treating his franchise as a toy, you guys couldn't care less about the financial shape of smaller markets.

Its not like Ottawas throwing money around. Alfredsson is the Sens highest paid player at 4.8 million and no one on the team can make more then that. I would like to hear the that players argument. But the team will be above the 35 million dollar cap because they will be paying everyone 3-4 million in a few seasons because of the teams amazing young talent. They should not have to get rid of the core

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
ladybugblue said:
I cannot for the life of me see the NHL giving the NHLPA a proposal that they haven't already gotten approval on...Yes Bettman can nicks a proposal from the NHLPA but they are making the proposal so I would assume they already have the approval of the owners to go forth. It would seem really silly to put a proposal and then have their own camp reject it. Now if the NHLPA was giving the proposal that would be different...

Bingo

:lol

Watts02

Oct 13, 2003
My Island
Visit site
ti-vite said:
Bingo

:lol

Exactly my thoughts, so from this we can come to a conclusion on the small market teams. a). 50Mil hard cap proposal will work for them, or b). the hard cap is not at 50Mill

The NHL wont lose teams like the oilers or calgary they wont let it happen,

davidwii

Jan 20, 2005
Fuhr86 said:

I don't think its the matter of teams keeping their players. I think its a matter of all the SUPER RICH teams taking them....

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
For what it's worth, Doug Maclean practically laughed at a very similar proposal when the host of the afternoon show on 590 in Toronto brought it up (as a practical joke no less) during his call-in show yesterday on 1460 in Columbus while they were simulcasting.

Wolfpack

Jul 9, 2004
I refuse to believe this rumoured deal is legit.

$50 million is way too high, and doesn't help the teams that need it most.

Isles72

Feb 27, 2002
Canada
Wolfpack said:
I refuse to believe this rumoured deal is legit.

$50 million is way too high, and doesn't help the teams that need it most.

I tend to agree , especially if the 24 % rollbacks are entered into the offer .

I'd lean more towards 40 mil hardcap with the ''franchise player'' not counting towards the actual cap complimented by lux tax starting at 31 mil with different taxes from 31mil thru 39 mil

shame on the nhl if this 50 mil cap nonsense is true

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
likea said:
no, this is a great deal for the owners

esp if the franchise player has limitations like years played for the team

most teams will not want to pay dollar for dollar over 40 million so most the big market teams will probably stop at 40 million and have one franchise type player above the small markets

esp. if draft picks are stripped from the team at say 43 million with the luxery tax

I hope they set the salary floor closer to $20m than $30m. If the NHL wants to let teams spend close to $50m untaxed ($40m + $10 franchise exemption) then its moved the top end a long way from $38m hard cap, so they should move the bottom end down by a similar amount.

I'd be a lot more comfortable with that if I'm a lower income earning team. I'd be pretty hard on them to find mid-30m, and then see some rich teams still spend over $60m in payroll (not including taxes). They won't get a lot of tax money, probably just $2m or so a year, so soften the bottom end of the cap range to reflect it. Low end teams would be more likely to feel financially safer and accept it if they knew they didn't have to spend more than $22m or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad