Are the supreme one80 skates worth the extra $100 over one70?

Zdeno33Lucic*

depends on how often you're playing, at what level, what age you are, height/weight....

this, i sell hockey equipment, i know what you want

but the one 80 are a lot lighter and more solid, i'd go with them

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
I think the One70 is a top end skate for beginner/intermediate skaters. If you're very heavy an experienced skater I believe the One80 and above are better suited. Of course, it's best to try them on and feel it before you make a decision.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
I think the One70 is a top end skate for beginner/intermediate skaters. If you're very heavy an experienced skater I believe the One80 and above are better suited. Of course, it's best to try them on and feel it before you make a decision.

Basically.

Here's my thoughts and experiences on both models.

The One70, like it's predecessor the One55 is an amazing skate. Very durable yet it does not weight a ton and performs well. Very popular with beer league guys who play 2-3 times a week. Really good for kids who are and playing up to mid-tier travel. By the time they beat them down they are have grown out of them. I've also had a lot of customers who like them because they are not as stiff as higher models and feel closer to an older skate.

The One80 is a very stiff skate. There's a greater jump IMO from the One70->One80 than the One60->One70. This skate will perform better, is lighter, but will take longer to break in. I've seen a good amount of kids bring these in at the end of the season and there's almost no break down, so in general I feel like most youth players don't benefit from this skate as much.

While they are the same general fit, the One80 doesn't have as much negative space being more anatomically formed.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Piggybacking on what Heat said, if you're a heavier player (say over 175 pounds) the One80 might have an edge in durability, while a lighter player could save some cash with the cheaper skate.

I know at my weight (185, ideally 165) a top end skate would last at least 5-7 years. But my uncle, who played juniors and was a championship bodybuilder and is now 275 pounds, he's going to need a top end skate at least every other year.

Fred89

Jun 8, 2011
Milan
I am exactly 175 pounds, looking to upgrade to One70 from a cheap One20, i've become a quite average skater this year with them but now i need the jump to improve my skills and to play.
I think One70 will be okay, can you tell me if that can be right guys?

Because i don't see any reason to invest 100$ more since i'll starting playing the game now.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Depends on how good a skater you are. You won't be able to get the most out of that skate unless you're a pretty good skater, and you'll need to be even better to eke the best out of a top end skate. If you're not that great a skater, you'll still get the lightness and better durability, but that may or may not make enough difference to you to justify the price.

Personally, I'm a great skater, and have discovered that top end skates really do make a difference for me, even though I'm a small guy and the conventional wisdom on here is that light guys don't need tons of stiffness. That may be true for an average skater, but not for those of us who can really use that stiffness. So for me, spending that extra money to get a top end model (on closeout, anyway) is worth it. Whether it's worth it for you is something only you can really decide.

Fred89

Jun 8, 2011
Milan
I want a durable skate that will last atleast 2-3 years and that will be good even when i'll be a better skater, but don't want a very stiff skate and almost top end because it will be hard to master for the first times.
Plus since i'll probably won't play games for the first 4-6 monthsm they won't wear down as easier as with playing.
I've been able to skate well with One 20s even if some things weren't undoable (like t-stopping on one foot or do really tight turns) due to their none stiffness :D

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Thanks for the responses both here and my thread. I can't wait to go skate shopping!!! Has to wait until Hawaii next month though :)

Fred89

Jun 8, 2011
Milan
I think you'll be just fine in the One70's...just make sure they fit perfect and your heel doesn't move around in the boot!

In my One20s the heel is the only thing that dont move :D

That's because they've been purchased by my friend according to my foot size and size chart, and i purchased a size more, so they're a little bit long.
but heel lock is definitively better than on vapor (i've RX 05 inlines) and i like the fit and traditional stance..

I'll just stick with the 7D or 7.5D (i've 8R right now but they're a bit big) and it should be fine!

Anyway, thank you for your advice Jarick, much appreciated! ;)

Fred89

Jun 8, 2011
Milan
A little OT but what would be the difference between the one80 and the Vapor 6:0 ?

I'd say FIT for sure, materials are pretty similar, holder and blade are the same.. probably the main difference is fit and stance, plus if i'm not wrong, the tongue that is not a felt tongue.. but don't take me serious on the last thing, i'm not sure.

For fit i mean width, arch, volume, heel lock etc..

Lalander977

May 18, 2006
I'd say FIT for sure, materials are pretty similar, holder and blade are the same.. probably the main difference is fit and stance, plus if i'm not wrong, the tongue that is not a felt tongue.. but don't take me serious on the last thing, i'm not sure.

For fit i mean width, arch, volume, heel lock etc..

Yeah you're right, the X:60 doesn't have a felt tongue...

Fred89

Jun 8, 2011
Milan
Just checked out, hadn't time before and they have the form fit 2 tongue.
Doesn't look bad but definitively felt tongue is really nice imho.
Anyway if you need to choose between those two, try both them because they're really different, even if they came from the same manufacturer.
My thought was between One60 and One70, but i think i've already solved the problem and i'll go with 70 :)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->