News Article: Are the Senators better under Boucher?

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
How many more wins with Anderson as our starter?

How many more points with Anderson as our starter?

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Micklebot do you understand what the word disingenius means? I presume you do because you used that term in your first response to me. You don't know me and the term itself has a negative connotation. I'm hard pressed to think you did anything other than insult my integrity. And then you went on to make invalid statistical inferences.

scoring chances and save percentages are 2 different things. I can miss a wide open net on a 2 on 1. it gets recorded as a high danger chance but not as a shot. Because of that anything you are trying to infer about save percentage from scoring chances is statically invalid.

War on ice used to record low medium and difficult saves. I haven't seen that since that site shut down. if you were quoting that type of data your inference would be fine.

you need to earn the right to the high road. you started slinging mud and you don't have it in this discussion.

So, when I responded to you with my initial retort, you accused me of being someone who likes to argue. When I addressed your response, indicating that you misinterpreted my argument, you accused me of not understanding the context or meaning of the stats I posted. You then went on to accused me of changing my story. If you're put off that I mistakenly understood your comment about Condon being at the helm of Mtl's collapse as you suggesting that he was in a large way responsible for it, and called that a disingenuous statement, all you had to do is clarify what you meant. I mean, saying he was at the helm of the collapse generally has a negative connotation and perhaps I took that a bit further than you intended. My bad.

This is the first post were you actually addressed my argument though, and you are right that I am making assumptions. I'm assuming that both goalies are having a similar ratio of scoring chances ending up as actual shots. That might not be the case and that's fine, because I was never attempting to do an accurate adjustment, just pointing out that one guy likely had a more favourable situation that very well could have inflated his Sv% relative to the other. I don't recall the sequence of hand, but it was also brought up that Condon was in a less favourable situation in other aspects too; it was his rookie year, he was playing every game with no breaks, and his team lost it's confidence with all the mounting injuries to key players rather than coming together in the face of adversity. Hammond on the other hand played a backup role, where if he was struggling, got the time to work on his game before getting another start.

I still think it's unfair to characterize Condon a 3rd string goalie, and you're not the only one to say that, so this is more of a general statement. The implication is that goaltending hasn't been a strength, or could have been much better. Last night's stinker aside, I'm not convinced that Hammond would have been better in the same circumstances. Heck, even Anderson is no guarantee though in my viewings he's certainly a superior goalie from a technical standpoint. We could certainly be better if we had two guys we could trust to start games, so that we don't have to start the same guy in back to back games.

As to your comment about my right to take the high road, I'm sorry you feel that way, my intent was not to sling mud, as you suggest, but rather to discuss the topic at hand. If I've misinterpreted what you've said, feel free to correct me whenever I go astray. Sometimes tone doesn't come through well in text, so if I've come off as insulting, or brash, my apologies. If you want to discuss further wrt me slinging mud or attacking your integrity, feel free to PM me, I don't think it does any good putting it out in the open and is more likely to end in a escalating the issue rather than address it.

50 in 07

Feb 10, 2016
16. Statistically, the biggest positive difference with the Senators is on the penalty kill. In 2016–17, Ottawa allowed 61 power-play goals. This year, the pace is for 49. (It was 46, but they gave up three to Toronto and Columbus on the weekend.) Craig Anderson’s save percentage while killing penalties was .862 a year ago and Andrew Hammond’s was .790. Anderson is at .873 this season. Condon was at .892 before the last two games — that was 11th among starters — but dropped to .879. The Senators led the NHL with 17 short-handed goals last season, but are on pace for five now. That’s not an accident. “We told the players to stay home,†head coach Guy Boucher said. “Protecting our end had to be the priority. Don’t cheat.â€

Friedman's 30 thoughts http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/30-thoughts-hanzal-talks-stall-canadiens-coyotes/

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I posted this in another thread:

We've shutout 4 teams who, at some point this season, have been the best in the NHL. We've also given Pitts their first back-to-back regulation loss in a season and a half. We were first team to give Montreal their first regulation loss and we beat the Captails in regulation, first time they've lost in 1 month and a half.

Also, every winning streak we've had, have included winning a string of games against the best teams in the league.

Senateurs

Let's win it all
Feb 28, 2007
I posted this in another thread:

We've shutout 4 teams who, at some point this season, have been the best in the NHL. We've also given Pitts their first back-to-back regulation loss in a season and a half. We were first team to give Montreal their first regulation loss and we beat the Captails in regulation, first time they've lost in 1 month and a half.

Also, every winning streak we've had, have included winning a string of games against the best teams in the league.

Just curious. Edmonton, Washington, Columbus aaaaand???

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Tampa fan chiming in, Boucher is one of the most intelligent coaches in the league, he finds a system that covers up your biggest weakness and has guys buy into it. What was most impressive about him during his Tampa days has been his ability to make good in-game changes on the spot.

He was pretty much handcuffed in Tampa with the awful defense and a tandom of Garon/Lindback. For as much "flak" as he got with the 1-3-1, it was pretty much the only system he could work with, with what he had and it took us 1 game of the Stanley Cup finals.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Boucher has grew on me. Originally I hated it at the time, all I saw was Dorion and Melynk trying to save a dollar hiring Boucher over the best option Boudreau (which is true).We still got a hell of a good coach probably the best coach the sens have had post 05 lockout.

The guy calls it like it is in the post games, instead of saying typical coach ****. Actually motivates his players and holds them accountable(unlike cameron). Benching Ryan was a great example of that. Knows when something is working and when something isn't working.(unlike Maclean) For example Dion got walked the last couple of OT's he didn't log a single minute tonight. If it was Paul Maclean he would throw neil on the ice, get scored on and throw neil back on the ice.

I said it before tonights game that he wouldn't have the balls to challenge the sens org and bench neil, and he went and ****ing did it!. I bet boro is actually healthy too, but he knows boro isn't one of the 6th best dmen in the line up right now and is just keeping him out.

One of the few times ill eat crow i'm usually right when criticizing this sad excuse of organizational management. ;)

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I said it before tonights game that he wouldn't have the balls to challenge the sens org and bench neil, and he went and ****ing did it!. I bet boro is actually healthy too, but he knows boro isn't one of the 6th best dmen in the line up right now and is just keeping him out.

One of the few times ill eat crow i'm usually right when criticizing this sad excuse of organizational management. ;)

It's not as if Boucher went out and got Wingels.

The Senators organization did.

They had to know that one of Lazar or Neil was coming out.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
It's not as if Boucher went out and got Wingels.

The Senators organization did.

They had to know that one of Lazar or Neil was coming out.

I think that's a coach-GM communication thing.

The sentiment probably came from both.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Love Boucher's comment to Wingels learning the system,

Something along the lines of "Get out there and make mistakes, we'll correct you after"

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Love Boucher's comment to Wingels learning the system,

Something along the lines of "Get out there and make mistakes, we'll correct you after"

Having a Bond villain say that would scare the crap out of me.

We will...correct you....after.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Boucher has grew on me. Originally I hated it at the time, all I saw was Dorion and Melynk trying to save a dollar hiring Boucher over the best option Boudreau (which is true).We still got a hell of a good coach probably the best coach the sens have had post 05 lockout.

The guy calls it like it is in the post games, instead of saying typical coach ****. Actually motivates his players and holds them accountable(unlike cameron). Benching Ryan was a great example of that. Knows when something is working and when something isn't working.(unlike Maclean) For example Dion got walked the last couple of OT's he didn't log a single minute tonight. If it was Paul Maclean he would throw neil on the ice, get scored on and throw neil back on the ice.

With Boudreau it was not about money but years if you go by rumors he wanted 4 or 5 years Ottawa wanted 2.

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007

I'd love to see a source on that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad