Speculation: Are the Sabres ready for a trade?

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
What direction are the Sabres going to trade? Trade the few valuable roster pieces they have for picks and prospects? Or trade picks and prospects for guys they will lose soon?

Per usual, seems like the Sabres have no idea where they stand.
Why though? You either trade your picks/prospects and try to compete now or you trade your expiring assets (UFAs) for futures and admit to competing for the lottery.

There is room in the top 3 of the Atlantic with the Leafs being as weak defensively as we all predicted, so going for it this year is possible, but does anyone think they Sabres are really better than the Panthers, Habs, and Leafs? If not, then build through the draft instead of acquiring crap depth players.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Going to need some offensive firepower coming back to consider trading Reinhart and Risto in a package. Think that conversation starts with JG.
LOL Reinhart and Ristolainen doesnt come close to getting you Gaudreau.

Pretend I just offered you Vrana and Orlov for Eichel. Or JT Miller and Edler for Eichel.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Pretend you even watch the Sabres.
That is an insult to Gaudreau. Reinhart has been fine; good I would even say, but guess who is on the ice with him for over 90% of his shifts. Ristolainen has been garbage all season. He at least usually puts up points, but isn't even doing that anymore.

So trade a player who depends on another top 10-20 player in the league (Eichel) and has yet to show he can do anything on his own and a defensive liabilty to a team that doesn't need defensive help for their offensive MVP. Makes perfect sense.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
That is an insult to Gaudreau. Reinhart has been fine; good I would even say, but guess who is on the ice with him for over 90% of his shifts. Ristolainen has been garbage all season. He at least usually puts up points, but isn't even doing that anymore.

So trade a player who depends on another top 10-20 player in the league (Eichel) and has yet to show he can do anything on his own and a defensive liabilty to a team that doesn't need defensive help for their offensive MVP. Makes perfect sense.

No, it's an insult to your post. Gaudreau isn't being dealt to the Sabres.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
No, it's an insult to your post. Gaudreau isn't being dealt to the Sabres.
You do realize I was replying to someone else who said this:

"Going to need some offensive firepower coming back to consider trading Reinhart and Risto in a package. Think that conversation starts with JG."

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
You do realize I was replying to someone else who said this:

"Going to need some offensive firepower coming back to consider trading Reinhart and Risto in a package. Think that conversation starts with JG."

And you do realize that you could point out that it is almost completely unlikely to happen without making a stupid player exaggeration?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Why though? You either trade your picks/prospects and try to compete now or you trade your expiring assets (UFAs) for futures and admit to competing for the lottery.

There is room in the top 3 of the Atlantic with the Leafs being as weak defensively as we all predicted, so going for it this year is possible, but does anyone think they Sabres are really better than the Panthers, Habs, and Leafs? If not, then build through the draft instead of acquiring crap depth players.

quoting yourself somehow and making wide ranged player evaluations rarely equals a good response. Also you clearly have a chip on your shoulder against the Sabres for whatever personal reason given your own responses so in turn I'll take them with a grain of salt and an eye roll.

Asymmetric Solution

Nov 29, 2018
quoting yourself somehow and making wide ranged player evaluations rarely equals a good response. Also you clearly have a chip on your shoulder against the Sabres for whatever personal reason given your own responses so in turn I'll take them with a grain of salt and an eye roll.
I just blocked him. He’s in every Sabres thread.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
The funny part of Risto hate is he's still Sabres #1 D man. What are they like without him? LOL
God they might finish bottom 5 without him.

2014–15 8223518541612748th, AtlanticDid not qualify
2015–1682353611812012227th, AtlanticDid not qualify
2016–1782333712782012378th, AtlanticDid not qualify
2017–1882254512621992808th, AtlanticDid not qualify
2018–1982333910762262716th, AtlanticDid not qualify
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
If we're worried that Mitts is too old to show much offense at the NHL level what would Buffalo expect from Kempe?

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
And you do realize that you could point out that it is almost completely unlikely to happen without making a stupid player exaggeration?
1. Not an exaggeration at all. An equal comparison in player quality. Vrana=Reinhart=Miller. Everyone > Risto
2. What is the point of this board? If someone throws out Gaudreau in a trade demand when referring to a Reinhart/Risto package, they deserved to be called out for wtf.

Obviously I didn't mean to quote myself. I was the one who started the "Sabres look good" thread that is now 40-some pages deep. I want them to succeed, but they constantly make dumb moves and the ones brought up in this thread are more of the same. Lets just continue down another decade of mediocrity. Either go ham Blue Jackets style or blow it up. Trading more blah depth players isn't going to get them into the playoffs. The teams in front of them are too good.

Selanne00008

Jun 2, 2006
NYC - UES
Reinhart, and to a lesser degree, Ristolainen would fit in well with the flames. Need a 2nd line right winger who can score badly. Also need some toughness on the right side D.

Would something around Bennett + Hanafin get the conversation started?

Ideally flames would offer Bennett + Brodie + 2nd round pick or 2nd tier prospect. Valamaki, Anderrson or Pelletier probably prevents it from happening.

I hardly follow the sabres so the value could be off by a wide margin. What would the price be on Reinhart alone ?

Yeah I mean, if we are moving Reinhart or Reinhart + then it is to improve the offense. So trading for Hanafin isn't working for us. A Ristoleinen + much more for Monahan or Johnny Hockey I'd like, obviously

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad