Speculation: Are the Sabres ready for a trade?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
With Colin Miller being healthy scratched a few games in a row and Pilut in Rochester, how likely is it that the sabres are making a move with either Miller or Scandella?

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
wait what? Why would toronto trade a 40-50pt winger for a healthy scratch?

Hed be your 3rd best defenseman, 2nd best if offense wasnt so important. Leafs would do well to add some defense and maybe trade Barrie while he has value. They cant afford to keep him can they?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Hed be your 3rd best defenseman, 2nd best if offense wasnt so important. Leafs would do well to add some defense and maybe trade Barrie while he has value. They cant afford to keep him can they?

Ummmmmmm he really wouldn’t.

expansion exposed. Healthy scratch on 2 teams. 2 more years.

Not Sure

Feb 8, 2016
Buffalo
Ummmmmmm he really wouldn’t.

expansion exposed. Healthy scratch on 2 teams. 2 more years.

Hes been a healthy scratch because we have too many defenseman, not because he was particularly bad. Hes a fine middle pairing guy, but we need to showcase Risto and Scandella which admittedly didnt turn out well and Montour needed ice time. We have a rough schedule in November and injuries are piling up, might do some good to keep rotating guys. If anything I think the guys who have been playing are more likely to be traded than Miller, why sit a guy if you want to move him.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hes been a healthy scratch because we have too many defenseman, not because he was particularly bad. Hes a fine middle pairing guy, but we need to showcase Risto and Scandella which admittedly didnt turn out well and Montour needed ice time. We have a rough schedule in November and injuries are piling up, might do some good to keep rotating guys. If anything I think the guys who have been playing are more likely to be traded than Miller, why sit a guy if you want to move him.

Why sit a guy if he's better and the team wants to win? Contrary to popular HF belief, a coach, particularly at this point in the season is going to play the players he feels gives the best chance at winning. Sure, there will be some rotation of guys when there are too many at one position, but it's usually the 6th/7th best guys that get rotated in and out.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Why sit a guy if he's better and the team wants to win? Contrary to popular HF belief, a coach, particularly at this point in the season is going to play the players he feels gives the best chance at winning. Sure, there will be some rotation of guys when there are too many at one position, but it's usually the 6th/7th best guys that get rotated in and out.

Buffalo has 4 decent+ RHD. They simply can't all play at once.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Buffalo has 4 decent+ RHD. They simply can't all play at once.
I get that. Carolina had 4 last year ((Hamilton, Pesce, Faulk, and TVR) and made it work without scratching any of them. Point is that if Miller was notably better than the other guys, the coach wouldn’t scratch him.
I’m not saying he’s a bad player, just maybe not as valuable as some might think.

That said, you never can tell for sure though as RHD are always coveted and teams get desperate, so supply and demand will affect value.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
I get that. Carolina had 4 last year ((Hamilton, Pesce, Faulk, and TVR) and made it work without scratching any of them. Point is that if Miller was notably better than the other guys, the coach wouldn’t scratch him.
I’m not saying he’s a bad player, just maybe not as valuable as some might think.

That said, you never can tell for sure though as RHD are always coveted and teams get desperate, so supply and demand will affect value.
They are not sitting Montour or Risto. Sabres beat Ottawa and kept the same pairing and let Joker play against Chicago, his old team. Not that hard to figure out. It’s been 2 games. Still have Bogosian coming as well.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Miller isn't a middle pairing Dman. Certainly not on any kind of team that wants to win

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

Scandella is a UFA at the end of the season.

While he was out they had played 4 RHD when Montour came back.

In terms of moving players

Scandella is the first to get traded
They trade one of Miller/Risto/Montour

I think Montour is the first to go if his ask for a contract extension is too high.

ConnorMcNugesaitl

Sep 23, 2012
From Edmonton? Tough to say. The only piece that would intrigue me would be Lavoie, but I'd imagine many Sabres fans wouldn't be enthralled with moving him for a prospect that needs a couple years of development.

Edmonton doesn't really have room for Miller before Larsson comes back let alone when he does in a few days so I have to assume they were asking in general not for Edmonton.

I'd have to assume Lavoie is still worth about the 2nd they picked him with and I can't imagine Sabres fans expecting more than a 2nd for Miller.

Derg12

Mar 12, 2014
This organization needs more than a trade... perhaps a heart transplant either to instill some life, or character. Maybe both.

… but all kidding aside, I think a major trade that involves 2-3 players being shuffled out might help spur another 10 game winning streak.

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
From Edmonton? Tough to say. The only piece that would intrigue me would be Lavoie, but I'd imagine many Sabres fans wouldn't be enthralled with moving him for a prospect that needs a couple years of development.

I think you have it wrong....the Oilers aren’t giving up one of their better and much needed forward prospects for a d-man they don’t need ! The Oilers actually may be on the verge of trading some of their defensive depth for help at forward is the word out here! o_O

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad