Are the Rangers too soft?

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
yeesh...I'm pretty sure no one was suggesting going full-on Bertuzzi, but there's nothing wrong with a punch or two and some shoving around after a bad hit like that.

It was early enough in the game that even if they did take a penalty and go down 2-0, there's time to get the goals back. Really have to wonder what's going on in that room if the guys won't even bother to stand up for one another at all.

Exactly. That article makes it sound like the only options are to seriously injure someone or to skate away. I'm not sure what sport they think they're talking about.

Pizza

Sep 17, 2005
The Rangers have no ability to dictate a physical game. They have no answer when opponents begin taking advantage. If you have no physical element then you had better be able to make opponents pay when they get called for a penalty. The Rangers have neither. People keep discounting the physical element of the game....but we are still discussing hockey after all.

HAPPY HOUR

Apr 29, 2005
New York
The Rangers have no ability to dictate a physical game. They have no answer when opponents begin taking advantage. If you have no physical element then you had better be able to make opponents pay when they get called for a penalty. The Rangers have neither. People keep discounting the physical element of the game....but we are still discussing hockey after all.

Exactly. For years the Rangers would try to get the one baddest goon to handle the rough stuff. But, that goon would go out and fight the other teams goon and then after the dust settles, the opposing team went back out and dictated the physicality on the Rangers other players.

Coincidence how last season for the first time since the early 90's, the Rangers went out and physically dominated other teams along the boards and in front of the net that they were able to be so successful?

Terms like "grinding" out wins and "jam" were the words of the day for last years squad. This season they are neither a smashmouth in your face team or a skilled team looking to skate and create off of transition.

The philosophy of the coach doesn't match the mentality of its players.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The problem isn't that the Rangers are too soft. It's that they're trying to play a physical game with a soft line-up.

Maybe it's time to open things up and try to skate around the opposition. The coaching staff seems to disagree.

Last edited:

NYR Viper

Sep 9, 2007
Jacksonville, FL
The problem isn't that the Rangers are too soft. It's that they're trying to play a physical game with a soft line-up.

Maybe it's time to open things up and try to skate around the opposition. The coaching staff seems to disagree.

This is very true. They also lack the footspeed to get in on the forecheck effectively outside of Hagelin, Nash and Kreider.

HAPPY HOUR

Apr 29, 2005
New York

You aren't going to "skate" around anybody when 3 of your top six forwards are Brad Richards, D.Stepan, and Taylor Pyatt.

Last edited by a moderator:

nyrpassion

Vetted.
Mar 10, 2008
Ottawa
This is what I was talking about.

This was the game after Girardi was criticized for letting Carcillo beat up Gaborik. This is what I want to see more of. We needa light another fire under their *****.

Heyoooo*

This is very true. They also lack the footspeed to get in on the forecheck effectively outside of Hagelin, Nash and Kreider.

I would really only say Kreider and Hagelin. Gaborik doesnt look as fast as he used to be and Nash I wouldnt say has much footspeed. Hes more of a puck possession type player. Kreider does but we're playing Bickel instead. :shakehead

Tortorella is too busy trying to change players. Hes extremely stubborn with that and pretty much sums up "trying to fit a square peg in a hole" to a T.

Heyoooo*

square-peg-round-hole.jpg

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
This is what I was talking about.

This was the game after Girardi was criticized for letting Carcillo beat up Gaborik. This is what I want to see more of. We needa light another fire under their *****.

wow. watching that just made the softness of this year's team even more painful. and the hartnell hit wasn't even that bad. shoulder to shoulder. even the sense of impropriety and girardi jumped him. that's policing.

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
This team could really use a bench clearing brawl.

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
This team could really use a bench clearing brawl.

They could use something. I'm really disappointed with a guy like Mashinter. He was brought up to bring some toughness to this team and as of yet, I haven't seen it. Even Bickel, there were a couple of times yesterday he could have started something to get his team and the crowd going but nothing.

I'm not saying fighting will lead to wins, I'm just saying maybe these guys (besides Cally) can get a fire lit under their arses.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
They could use something. I'm really disappointed with a guy like Mashinter. He was brought up to bring some toughness to this team and as of yet, I haven't seen it. Even Bickel, there were a couple of times yesterday he could have started something to get his team and the crowd going but nothing.

I'm not saying fighting will lead to wins, I'm just saying maybe these guys (besides Cally) can get a fire lit under their arses.

* young players do start stuff like that all the time when they're called up. they want to get noticed in the lineup. We we call a player up, they're on their best behavior as not to upset coach John.

We called up a player from the AHL last year, big guy, 4th line aggressive player...

I think he was black or half Hawaiian, does anyone remember who i'm talking about ???

He was called up and he caused HAVOC that game. Running guys, fighting, setting a tone.

... never seen again. Coach John doesn't like that stuff.

I'll tell you for guy that talks as much crap as Torts, he sure doesn't back it up...

Crease

Jul 12, 2004
Last edited:

Jackson Ranger

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
* young players do start stuff like that all the time when they're called up. they want to get noticed in the lineup. We we call a player up, they're on their best behavior as not to upset coach John.

We called up a player from the AHL last year, big guy, 4th line aggressive player...

I think he was black or half Hawaiian, does anyone remember who i'm talking about ???

He was called up and he caused HAVOC that game. Running guys, fighting, setting a tone.

... never seen again. Coach John doesn't like that stuff.

I'll tell you for guy that talks as much crap as Torts, he sure doesn't back it up...

Are you thinking of Deveaux? He got the one major penalty/suspension and was never seen again.

NikC

Oct 7, 2008
NikC, I believe you're thinking of Andre Deveaux.

YES! that's the guy... thx.

I remember one game where he was going apeS### all over the place. I'm not saying he needs to be in the lineup every night, but he made an impact in that game in the intimidation factor.

Haven't seen anyone called up do anything close to that yet in terms of physical intimidation.

Mashinter? a 230lb ghost.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
i just want this team to stand up when challenged. and a guy running mcdonagh or nash or boyle getting pummelled in the playoffs...that's a challenge. when lundqvist gets run-over, that's a challenge. staging a fight is not tough. it's guys taking care of business when the need arises. it's sometimes not a convenient time, but it has to be done.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Ottawa has 4 fighting majors. They were checked very well by the Rangers. People are grasping at straws trying to find a scapegoat. When Henrik is just "good" and not "great" this is your team. Once he gets back into form the Rangers will be a playoff team.

Leetch66

Jan 8, 2007
PEI Canada
There is a guy like that in the AHL that will soon be up playing with NY ...unfortunately his name is Brett Gallant and he is an Islander . He is fearless...the next Darren Langdon . You Tube his videos ...just a matter of time before every Ranger fan hates him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad