Are the Penguins stoppable?

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Yes I have watched. I'm just not stupid enough to base things off of one month of Hockey, especially in November. Come March, this team will be screeching its nails trying to climb into the playoff hunt.

You already have by saying they have the worst PK in the league and basing that off about 6 games. They are already playing much improved from that ugly start and will only be better in March.

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
You already have by saying they have the worst PK in the league and basing that off about 6 games. They are already playing much improved from that ugly start and will only be better in March.

I wasn't using that as reasoning for why we wouldn't make the playoffs or why we wouldn't beat the Pens. I'm simply stating what's happened thus far. I don't expect the PK to continue, and in fact it hasn't really over the last few games. But it's still a concern for the Hawks. This team is vastly different than last seasons team with the turnover and the new young guys coming in.

March is still a far ways from now, but a team like the Pens are the world champions. Lets actually prove something before we talk about beating the best. The Hawks from 2 years ago are not the Hawks today. That's not a reasoning for why we can beat the Pens in a 7 game series. The Pens are much deeper, more talented and coming off of a championship. That's not to say they'll make the SCF, and that's not to say the Hawks couldn't. But right now the outlook of this team shows no guarantee that it will even make the playoffs just based on the roster alone. Again though, it'll depend on the western conference and how good or bad it is. I don't believe the Hawks are a bottom feeder by any means (there is way too much talent to be a bottom feeder). But i do think they're more of a WC team that will be trying to fight off some other really good team(s) in order to just make the playoffs. Things can change though, we will see. Right now the Hawks are too reliant on 3 players. That has to change.

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
Yes I have watched. I'm just not stupid enough to base things off of one month of Hockey, especially in November. Come March, this team will be screeching its nails trying to climb into the playoff hunt.

Oh, look who it is. Greatly underestimating the Hawks, the team he claims to be a fan of. What a shock....

"Too reliant on 3 players". Tell me. Who are the only 3 reliable players the Hawks have? And who does that leave out as "unreliable"???

"will be screeching their nails trying to climb into the playoff hunt"

[mod] don't act like you weren't like this during their Cup runs either. You've never had faith in their team. Which is absolutely insane considering how good they've been. I just don't get you. They have a very, VERY good team this year. As good as the teams that won the 3 Stanley Cups? That remains to be seen, gotta let the season play out. But the only weakness I see is they could use another bottom 6 forward and they'll be upgrading before seasons end whether its at the TDL or by way of rookie development.

How on earth any legit Hawks fan can sit there and act like the Hawks are gonna struggle to make the playoffs really erks me. What are looking at/judging that gives you that opinion?

Last edited by a moderator:

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
Oh, look who it is. Greatly underestimating the Hawks, the team he claims to be a fan of. What a shock....

"Too reliant on 3 players". Tell me. Who are the only 3 reliable players the Hawks have? And who does that leave out as "unreliable"???

"will be screeching their nails trying to climb into the playoff hunt"

[mod] don't act like you weren't like this during their Cup runs either. You've never had faith in their team. Which is absolutely insane considering how good they've been. I just don't get you. They have a very, VERY good team this year. As good as the teams that won the 3 Stanley Cups? That remains to be seen, gotta let the season play out. But the only weakness I see is they could use another bottom 6 forward and they'll be upgrading before seasons end whether its at the TDL or by way of rookie development.

How on earth any legit Hawks fan can sit there and act like the Hawks are gonna struggle to make the playoffs really erks me. What are looking at/judging that gives you that opinion?

AA. Kane and Panarin. Toews has played decent as of late, but we'll see if that's sustainable. Not holding my breath on that. Pretty much everyone else because well most of the others are too young and unproven or too old and likely don't have much left.

I don't judge a team and make predictions based on faith. I still do have faith as a fan. But when I make my predictions and analysis, I try to take myself off as a fan to give the most objective analysis that I can based on what I see. I know that's atypical of a fan analyzing his own team, but that's just how I am and that goes for any team I'm a fan of. I wouldn't go that far to say we have a very very good team. This team to me is the same team as last season with slightly better defense. Overall they're still a 1st round exit at best right now until they get some experience for some of the young guys. I'm OK with all of that too. When you're retooling like the Hawks are, that's what you sacrifice (a few years of development before you get back to true contending). What my point here was that we're jumping the gun with this team contending with the likes of the reigning Stanley Cup Champions. There are much bigger things to worry about in the west than to jump forward and even think about whether or not they could beat the Pens in a 7 game series. I don't think they would, but that doesn't mean that they aren't headed in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:

SimpleJack

Jul 25, 2013
AA. Kane and Panarin. Toews has played decent as of late, but we'll see if that's sustainable. Not holding my breath on that. Pretty much everyone else because well most of the others are too young and unproven or too old and likely don't have much left.

I don't judge a team and make predictions based on faith. I still do have faith as a fan. But when I make my predictions and analysis, I try to take myself off as a fan to give the most objective analysis that I can based on what I see. I know that's atypical of a fan analyzing his own team, but that's just how I am and that goes for any team I'm a fan of. I wouldn't go that far to say we have a very very good team. This team to me is the same team as last season with slightly better defense. Overall they're still a 1st round exit at best right now until they get some experience for some of the young guys. I'm OK with all of that too. When you're retooling like the Hawks are, that's what you sacrifice (a few years of development before you get back to true contending). What my point here was that we're jumping the gun with this team contending with the likes of the reigning Stanley Cup Champions. There are much bigger things to worry about in the west than to jump forward and even think about whether or not they could beat the Pens in a 7 game series. I don't think they would, but that doesn't mean that they aren't headed in the right direction.

Stop being afraid to be confident. Doesn't matter if its early. Lots of positive signs. Rookies looking like they belong. We know about all the big guns at forward. And who else has a better combination of D and goaltending? Maybe STL or NSH but thats it, and I'll take Crawford when he's on his game.

Honey Bear

Fan of Losing Teams
Feb 3, 2012
SF Bay Area/Boston
Stop being afraid to be confident. Doesn't matter if its early. Lots of positive signs. Rookies looking like they belong. We know about all the big guns at forward. And who else has a better combination of D and goaltending? Maybe STL or NSH but thats it, and I'll take Crawford when he's on his game.

Confidence is one thing. Being realistic is another. You might be right about all the things above, but until we see it (especially in a larger sample size), it's way too early to be putting the Hawks in the same sentence as the defending world champions when it comes to a 7 game series. The Hawks have to worry about their division first (which will undoubtedly get better as the season goes on -- too talented not to) before they think about the playoffs let alone a potential SCF matchup.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

You ma, ma, ma, make me happy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad