Are the owners hiding something??

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
One thing I have never understood, is why the NHL and NHLPA did not mutually agree on a 3rd party auditor to come in and take a look at the books, and determine what kind of profits/losses these teams were experiencing. Is the NHL mis-stating their income?

The NHL did make a half-assed effort of getting a third party review, but they did NOT select a 3rd party that the players could agree was impartial.

If both parties seriously wanted to get this settled, and had nothing to hide, they would have had no problem agreeing on this sort of process.

It seems the dispute really has nothing to do with losses, the NHL is simply muscle-flexing, and trying to get the media and fans on their side to try to impose a salary cap, and they're prepared to wait until the bitter end to get it. They're not focused on profits or losses at all, their main goal is a secure position, with a ceiling on expenses.

Stickaboo

Sep 17, 2004
Finlandiss
kurt said:
One thing I have never understood, is why the NHL and NHLPA did not mutually agree on a 3rd party auditor to come in and take a look at the books, and determine what kind of profits/losses these teams were experiencing. Is the NHL mis-stating their income?

The NHL did make a half-assed effort of getting a third party review, but they did NOT select a 3rd party that the players could agree was impartial.

If both parties seriously wanted to get this settled, and had nothing to hide, they would have had no problem agreeing on this sort of process.

It seems the dispute really has nothing to do with losses, the NHL is simply muscle-flexing, and trying to get the media and fans on their side to try to impose a salary cap, and they're prepared to wait until the bitter end to get it. They're not focused on profits or losses at all, their main goal is a secure position, with a ceiling on expenses.

I AGREE
;)

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Even if the Union had a complete grasp of the books, and were voting partners on the NHL board, I still wonder if they would want a cap. What does it matter what the books say. They are worth what the owners think they are worth. Maybe to the owners, they are actually worth more than their business can afford. I'd hope not.

H/H

Aug 27, 2004
The player's salaries are open for everyone to see and the owners are using it as one of their points why they need a cap. So why shouldn't they show their books?

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
H/H said:
The player's salaries are open for everyone to see and the owners are using it as one of their points why they need a cap. So why shouldn't they show their books?

The player's salaries are open for everyone to see because that's what the union wants. The owners would prefer the salaries not to be disclosed.

SuperUnknown

Mar 14, 2002
Visit site
thinkwild said:
Even if the Union had a complete grasp of the books, and were voting partners on the NHL board, I still wonder if they would want a cap. What does it matter what the books say. They are worth what the owners think they are worth. Maybe to the owners, they are actually worth more than their business can afford. I'd hope not.

Even in the American economy it is that way. Recessions are usually caused because companies overall are paying too much to their employees

ceber

Apr 28, 2003
Wyoming, MN
The problem, from what I understand, doesn't have to do with hiding anything, the real problem is the NHLPA reps and the owner reps refuse to agree on what excatly makes up hockey-related revenues. The big problem comes in because all these ownership groups don't just run the NHL team, they run the NHL team, an AHL team, the arena, concerts, concessions, etc. The NHLPA wants a broad definition of hockey-related revenues, the Owners want a strict definition. I don't think anyone would need to open up any books to solve the problem, they just need to agree if the 6 bucks I spend on a beer at a game or a concert gets counted as revenue.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Even if teams are losing money, does it matter?

Another thing I don't get about this whole idea of owners losing money is this: if so many teams are losing so much money, how come the league expanded to 30 teams? How come somebody always seems to be out there to purchase a team that's for sale? Are all the rich folk out there suckers for punishment or what?

I think another aspect often overlooked is the fact that many owners are in the ownership of hockey teams for a recreational benefit. Think of it this way. If I buy a snowboard, I'm not expecting to earn a return on my investment. I'm using it to have fun. In a sense, the same can be true with hockey teams. Obvoiously, they don't come out to lose a pile of money, but they don't expect to make a pile of money either.

One other thing is, sometimes a business that loses money can be appealing, and beneficial to an owner. I know, I know, crazy talk. However, a business that generates a lot of CASH flow (up-front season ticket sales, game/concert tickets, alcohol, food, parking, etc are all cash transactions) makes cash available for other ventures. And, in the right situation, the losses may lower the parent company's tax bracket, resulting in a gain in income at the end of the day.

hockeytown9321

Jun 18, 2004
kurt said:
Another thing I don't get about this whole idea of owners losing money is this: if so many teams are losing so much money, how come the league expanded to 30 teams? How come somebody always seems to be out there to purchase a team that's for sale? Are all the rich folk out there suckers for punishment or what?

I think another aspect often overlooked is the fact that many owners are in the ownership of hockey teams for a recreational benefit. Think of it this way. If I buy a snowboard, I'm not expecting to earn a return on my investment. I'm using it to have fun. In a sense, the same can be true with hockey teams. Obvoiously, they don't come out to lose a pile of money, but they don't expect to make a pile of money either.

One other thing is, sometimes a business that loses money can be appealing, and beneficial to an owner. I know, I know, crazy talk. However, a business that generates a lot of CASH flow (up-front season ticket sales, game/concert tickets, alcohol, food, parking, etc are all cash transactions) makes cash available for other ventures. And, in the right situation, the losses may lower the parent company's tax bracket, resulting in a gain in income at the end of the day.

And those reasons are among the many that will cause some owners to dissent and compromise with the players.

degroat*

kurt said:

Tell that to Disney.

mr gib

Sep 19, 2004
vancouver
www.bigtopkarma.com
because the union is right - since the 50's the owners are private biz people and they do not have to disclose anything - the rangers , philly , and about 5 others are major media conglomorates -
billions in earnings they will never be honest about earnings

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
ceber said:
The problem, from what I understand, doesn't have to do with hiding anything, the real problem is the NHLPA reps and the owner reps refuse to agree on what excatly makes up hockey-related revenues. The big problem comes in because all these ownership groups don't just run the NHL team, they run the NHL team, an AHL team, the arena, concerts, concessions, etc. The NHLPA wants a broad definition of hockey-related revenues, the Owners want a strict definition. I don't think anyone would need to open up any books to solve the problem, they just need to agree if the 6 bucks I spend on a beer at a game or a concert gets counted as revenue.

That's what I've taken from what I've read, too. The horrible thing is that this should be something that could be sorted out in a day and then had the numbers all re-worked by the end of the week but won't be looked at seriously for another three months. Goodenow and Bettman just seem too intractable in their positions to deal with eachother in any sort of open, honest manner.

I have to think the owners/players would be better off if both Bettman and Goodenow were canned and a group of independent arbitrators could be agreed upon and brought in to sort out the mess.

Brent Burns Beard