Are the Ottawa Senators not as bad as people expected them to be?

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
I hate these threads. They get started by non sens fans (I assume...didn't dven check) so that sens fans get lured out of our gutter so we can talk about a few bright spots and then get reminded by other mighty fanbases that we are a joke. Save us the trouble and ignore us till leaf games, shark games or the draft .

Goodbahd

Dec 17, 2017
They look really good. I think trading both Hoffman and Karlsson helped their room, similarly to Montreal getting rid of Galchenyuk and Pacioretty. With Chabot, it doesn't look like they're missing Karlsson. Nobody is saying they're going to make the playoffs, but they look better than expected that's for sure, and in today's NHL, parity has proven that many things are possible, which is exciting to watch, because many team can have bad seasons followed by a good season with minor tweaks to their lineups.

Reactions: SensFactor

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Let's wait maybe 25 games and revisit this topic. They are playing alright right now. But I have my doubts. Anderson is 38 years old, the defense is suspect, and the offensive depth is not much. They've got some rookies playing hot right now, but they probably aren't sustaining that over 82 games.

I never thought they were going to be the worst team in the league or anything. But 82 games is a lot for a team that has a good amount of holes. I really just don't see them finishing anywhere but bottom 10.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
before tonight they had won just 1 of their 4 games, and that was a game they got dominated that anderson stole

they are gonna be awful

I kinda hope they finish like 6th or 7th worst, giving sens fans hope that that 1st rd wont be hughes, only to see the avs win the lotto

Wow. What a nice thing to say.

What if Sens fans start hoping Tavares and Matthews crash into each other and both blow an ACL?

Just remember karma is a .....

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
some attainable ways for the Sens to be somewhat vindicated:

-Brady Tkachuk continues to play well
-They give a pick to Colorado that is 5th or lower
-They re-sign Duchene or get a good return for him at the deadline

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
before tonight they had won just 1 of their 4 games, and that was a game they got dominated that anderson stole

they are gonna be awful

I kinda hope they finish like 6th or 7th worst, giving sens fans hope that that 1st rd wont be hughes, only to see the avs win the lotto

You better start praying we don't squeeze into the 2nd wildcard spot.

Reactions: SensFactor

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
The 95-96 Ottawa senators who finished 18-59-5 started the season 5-3 and beat the Devils, Rangers, and Red Wings in the process. All of those teams were pretty good and only the Devils missed the playoffs oddly enough at the expense of Ottawa on the final day of the season

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
They are playing fast and loose,and likely there are going to be some kids that have decent years...But when crunch time comes they will fade ...

Well said. They will get some wins now because they are playing with pace and structure at a time of year where that is still being fine tuned for a lot of teams. Once it really gets rolling, the structure will no longer be a factor and they will slowly start losing the talent battle. As the year goes on, they will face more and more teams in the hunt for a playoff spot who will just want it more than the Sens who should comfortably be out of the race by then.

And this is without factoring in management killing team moral by either trading someone doing well to save money or selling at the deadline.

Reactions: topshelf15

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
It's October. Water finds its level. There won't be any 100 goal scorers or 2 point per game players AND the Senators will be providing the Avs with a lottery pick.

BillNy

Jun 20, 2018
People picked them to be the worst team in the league by far going into the season, but 5 games in they're 2-2-1.

Their two victories came against a historically elite Leafs team and a Kings team that made the playoffs last season.

With what we've seen so far do you think the Sens will be better than many people expected them to be this year?

It's four games, they're .500, and only phone-NHL-.500, they're running a cool 42% of the Corsis, and uhh I mean look at their roster. They'll probably get even worse once they give up and trade Duchene/Stone. I mean, Tkachuk and Chabot look great, so the fans in Houston have reason not to blow their brains out, but let's not get too excited right away.

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
How has Chabot looked? I see a lot of points, is he playing sheltered minutes and getting a lot of #1 PP time? I don't think I've seen him on the SH at all, is that right?

Studzle

Dec 1, 2013
Toronto
Not seeing the point of this thread, too early into the season.

Also us Sens fans realize our team isn’t great, why do we have to be shit on for having optimism after the summer we’ve had.

Take a hike

Reactions: rfournier103

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
I mean, Anderson decided he's going to stop the puck this year, so good for him.
Duchene has been a no-show, but this isn't surprising as I was expecting 45-55 points from him, so he's on pace.
Local media enfant terrible Lee Versage wants mediocre stump Ben Harpur over a good half of our defence corps, so that's telling you how talent-starved we are.
I called 51-60 points this year, don't think I'll be that far off. They might crest 70 if they go to a lot of OT/SO games.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Young, hungry, want to prove the world wrong. Remind me of the Avs from Matt's rookie year. I quite enjoy watching them, and I hope Formenton gets back soon.

Reactions: Altimus

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
I always thought they were gonna be better than expected, but I still can't imagine them being above bottom 5. Anderson is due for a good year (he alternates) so I can see them being in games more.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
some attainable ways for the Sens to be somewhat vindicated:

-Brady Tkachuk continues to play well
-They give a pick to Colorado that is 5th or lower
-They re-sign Duchene or get a good return for him at the deadline
tbh I don't think they even need that pick to be 5th or lower to save face.

So long as that pick isn't Hughes or Kakko, it's minimal damage in my book. Outside of Hughes & Kakko, Tkachuk is in the same tier as the other top prospects in 2019.

It's obv early, but Tkachuk has looked like a difference maker for the Snes. Tkachuk has already shown more in 3 games than Pulju has shown in 3-years.

KnockHobbler

Sep 13, 2018
How has Chabot looked? I see a lot of points, is he playing sheltered minutes and getting a lot of #1 PP time? I don't think I've seen him on the SH at all, is that right?
What a stupid question. Who would be sheltering Ottawa's best defenceman?? Look at the roster lmao

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
What a stupid question. Who would be sheltering Ottawa's best defenceman?? Look at the roster lmao
Sorry the question offends you. What I'm wondering is if he's playing against opposing top lines, just an honest question because I haven't seen them. All I do see is that he's not playing any SH minutes, which is generally a good indicator of guys who aren't playing against the top units, that's all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad