Are the Oilers the worst team in N.A. professional sports over the past 5 years?

Sheeshta

Jul 27, 2007
It's really close between the Astros and the Oilers. The Astros had a not-abysmal 2010, and the Oilers had a not-abysmal 2008/9 but they're pretty close otherwise.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I was going to say the Charlotte Bobcats, but at least they actually made the playoffs three years ago.

At least Michael Jordan doesn't play the "I think I know a few things about winning" card like Lowe, lol.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
This is not meant to be another piss and moan thread, but more so a comparison of our team and others that have struggled in the NHL, NBA, MLB and NFL over the past 5 years.

I don't believe we are the worst, but very possibly in the top 3. We have to be better than the Detroit Lions .......but maybe not so much anymore.

I'm a Lions fan and as much as they have sucked over the last 5 seasons or should i say 5 decades, at least they made the playoffs 2 years ago and are 5-3 this year.
It doesn't get much worse than 30th, 30th, 29th, 23rd and now likely 25th or worse this season. Worst franchise in sports and i think it's safe to say AINEC especially considering how valuable 1st overalls are in the NHL and the Oilers have 3 of them and are even worse if possible. This is generational ineptitude that we are talking about.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Since we won our last cup, we're certainly bottom 5. In the past 5 years? We drafted 6th, 1st, 1st, 1st and 10th.

We're so bad that they should have changed the lottery rules by now. They should stop a team from winning a 1st overall pick twice in five years. It'll force Mac-T to DO something so that we have a chance at no longer being the worst team over the past five years.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Past 5 seasons they have a .385 win percentage (810 games). And they have lost over 100 games in each of the past three seasons.

Shouldn't really be a comparable though. You can't control for extraneous factors. Much more stratification exists in baseball standing and deviation in pts around mean is much great in MLB than NHL.

To add to this no loser pts exist in baseball, no 3pt games exist in baseball.

It would be virtually impossible in a capped league NHL with 3pt games for a club to have this winning percentage.

Kyle McMahon

May 10, 2006
God no. Worst in the NHL? Why yes. In all of sports? No.

Cleveland Browns. Buffalo Bills. Miami Dolphins. Jacksonville Jaguars. Oakland Raiders. St.Louis Rams. Columbus Blue Jackets. Florida Panthers. Seattle Mariners. Miami Marlins. Chicago Cubs.

You're really over-estimating the Oilers. The Panthers won their division and played a Game 7 in the first round two seasons ago. Columbus has been better than us every year except 2012 when we beat them 29th to 30th.

The Browns haven't come close to the playoffs in 5 years, so they're like us in that sense. The Bills pretty much the same thing, although neither team has been frequently amongst the five worst in the league. The Dolphins have had some 7-9 seasons recently, so they've been more competitive than us. Oakland had back-to-back .500 seasons within the last five years, so they're better. Jacksonville is trending into Oiler territory, but still have a .500 season as recently as 2010.

The Mariners are probably about our equal going back to 2009, maybe slightly better. Likewise the Cubs. The Marlins were decent in 2009 and 2010, have to give them the advantage over us.

Yeah, sorry man, you'd like to think that out of the 122 major professional sports teams in North America, we're not nearly the worst, as bad as we've been. But you just listed a bunch of dreadful franchises, and most of them are clearly better than us.

Definitely none worse in the NHL. In MLB, the Houston Astros potentially are, but it's still close, same with Mariners. Nobody in the NFL has been worse IMO. I do believe the Washington Wizards and Sacramento Kings have been a little worse in the NBA.

We're no better than 118th out of 122.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Since 08-09 season Oilers record:

144-198-19-29

GF 1014 GA 1228

This is a quick look at another incompetent team same time period (is any other NHL club even comparable?;

Florida Panthers

Primary team Florida: 162-171-23-38 in these games.
Goals for Florida: 992
Goals against Florida: 1158

As noted above I don't think comparables with other leagues are really valid due to NHL 3pts games and more pts grouping around the mean. You just don't get the outlier extreme records in NHL both good or bad, that you find in other leagues that have far more pts stratification and deviance around the mean.

VA Oil

Oiler fan in Virginia
Dec 3, 2010
Danville, VA
The Oilers are bad for sure but lets not forget the Pittsburgh Pirates who just finally broke their 20 year losing streak...We aren't there yet.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Eskimos have been just as crappy as the Oilers. What a joyful time to be an Edmonton sports fan.

Gone

Fire KLowe
Aug 9, 2005
Earth
We'd have a better shot at getting a winner here if Katz moved the team and someone brought in a new franchise. Sadly, that's the only way we'll get a winner in Edmonton.

DJsquared

Aug 25, 2013
As noted above I don't think comparables with other leagues are really valid due to NHL 3pts games and more pts grouping around the mean. You just don't get the outlier extreme records in NHL both good or bad, that you find in other leagues that have far more pts stratification and deviance around the mean.

I don't want this to be taken as a guy with minimal posts trolling people, I agree with most of what you are saying, but I have no clue what the bolded means. I'm smart just not that smart lol.

Having said that I don't watch much other sports, and I don't really care about the stats (they are important but not needed to form an opinion). They are the worst club imo, its in their attitude as far as I can see anyhow.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I don't want this to be taken as a guy with minimal posts trolling people, I agree with most of what you are saying, but I have no clue what the bolded means. I'm smart just not that smart lol.

Having said that I don't watch much other sports, and I don't really care about the stats (they are important but not needed to form an opinion). They are the worst club imo, its in their attitude as far as I can see anyhow.

Just a reference to how much the individual data points are distributed from the average.

For instance in NBA basketball much more difference in pts would occur from the average, both in highest and lowest pts, than in hockey where standing have less pts separation.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2013_standings.html

for example 2012-13 NBA season (not in pts but winning percentage but we can just assign 2pts to wins for comparison with NHL) Top team, Miami has 66W's lets say 132pts for comparison. Lowest club has 20W's or 40pts. The range in this is an astounding 92pts 82 pts would be average so we see wide separation from average both high and low. Upper point is 52pts from average, lower is 42pts from average.

NHL, last year full schedule 11-12
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm?season=20112012&type=LEA

Top club, Vancouver has 111pts(even with benefit of 3pt games) lowest club has 65. Average around 92pts. Range in pts is 45. Upper club only differs from average by a slim 19pts, lower club differs from average by 27pts.

What this all means is that the probability of an NHL team ever having less pts than an NBA club is infinitesimally small barring say expansion clubs. Its virtually impossible for the Oilers, or any NHL club, to be worse than the worst NBA club.

hope this is clear.

Last edited:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Relax, its not even November

I understand the feeling as I've generally been in the same space as you. But, we're kidding ourselves if we don't acknowledge the hole they have put themselves into.

Basically, to be in real contention for playoffs at the deadline, they need to earn 64 points in the next 49 games which is about a 107 point pace. That kind of pace is top 5 in the NHL over the past few years. Do they really have the potential to be a top 5 team between now and the deadline. It's so bad now that a loss on Saturday, means they'd need a 109 point pace to make up the difference, or a 112 point pace if they lose the next 2.

Without a winning streak of at least 3 games in the next week or two, the season is done and even with a 3 game streak starting Saturday, they'd need a 103 point pace, from there to March.

OilerTyler

Disgruntled
Jul 5, 2009
Edmonton
The Oilers are bad for sure but lets not forget the Pittsburgh Pirates who just finally broke their 20 year losing streak...We aren't there yet.

The Pirates have never had a salary cap to put them on a level playing field with other teams.

Wheathead

Formally a McRib
Apr 4, 2008
Saskatoon
The Oilers are gettin' there. Lowe and co. are trying their hardest. Puzzles me though, because that man knows so much about winning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad