Are the oilers just a poorly built team?

EchoesoftheEighties

HF Oil's Unofficial Shitposter
Jan 30, 2006
Edmonton
I am not sure what pains me more. Seeing them toil in mediocrity or them grabbing another unwarrented top draft pick. It should never have got to this point. Way more pathetic than the Sens. Simply because this mismanagement has nothing to do with a garbage owner and a lack of funds.

I never thought I would see a team mismanaged as badly as the mid 2000 Leafs... this takes the cake.

Absolutely inane and unrealistic, but the team should just be punted out of the league. What a god damn disgrace.

Debateable. Katz isn't cheap like Melnyk and did get us the new arena we badly needed but he's a massive jock sniffer of the 80's Oilers. Lowe, MacT and co. all still have positions with the organization in some capacity.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
McLellan is a goner if they don't start winning games very soon - that much is obvious.
It is pretty sad as they could have a stacked blue line if they had a competent GM. If you reverse those Hall, 16th overall, and Eberle trades - you could easily have two top pairing dmen (see the Jones for Johansen trade for a good blueprint of what the Hall trade should have been). I feel for Oilers fans, Chia is irreparably destroying the team's future with his idiotic trades.

Let's be honest, Subban was traded for Weber at the exact same time as the Hall/Larsson trade. I mean Larsson and Subban are 2 youngish right-handed dman but Subban is cleary the better of the two. And if you ask Montreal fans, who they would rather have between Hall and Weber, Hall would win in a landslide.

It's puzzling to me how Hall wasn't traded for Subban. I think both EDM and MTL would be in much better shape now.

I think the GMs didn't do their job properly, or it's possible Montreal didn't want to trade for yet another winger when they were lacking centers and defensemen.

But then again, they ended up trading Sergachyev for Drouin, who ends up on LW.... same position as Hall.

Imagine Montreal would have both Hall and Sergachyev right now instead of Drouin and Weber. And the Oilers would have Subban, not to mention Barzal had they kept the draft pick.

Reactions: third man in

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
What are they good at? I mean, what is their identity? They're not really heavy, they're not at all fast outside of McDavid, they won't burn you on the PP, they don't really play a puck-dominant possession game..

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
What are they good at? I mean, what is their identity? They're not really heavy, they're not at all fast outside of McDavid, they won't burn you on the PP, they don't really play a puck-dominant possession game..
They hit a lot. Most likely because they don't have the puck.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
You can’t win with just one superstar surrounded by mainly useless pieces, even if the star is arguably the best player in the league

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
it looks more like someone actively tried to take the team apart than build it into something good. They're a bad team. That said, with McDavid and Draisaitl and a few other pieces, they should be able to turn things around. Their entire management is garbage though, they need to get rid of a lot of people

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
They dont have a talent problem, they have a coach problem.

Its painfully obvious that McLellan is flat out garbage and is the #1 issue on the team. He sould've been fired the second last season ended.

The fact that he somehow is still employed makes me think the OBC is alive and well up there (unfortunately)

Reactions: rec28

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
How is this even a question? Of course they're built poorly. They got a generational center for nothing and they've done nothing with him.

Not only a generational center, but a bunch of other #1 or high picks and a maxed out cap and they don't look like playoff contenders at this point.

Everyone knows the Hall trade was awful, but an overlooked part of it was that Hall really wanted to be there. For as much crap as Edmonton has to deal with whether or not players want to play there (whether it's exaggerated or not), Hall is from Alberta, had already been through the lean years and was really looking forward to being part of the turnaround.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
A coaching change is badly needed. They need someone that will allow them to play with more creativity. Sort of like what happened in Boston. When Julien was replaced by Cassidy. It's amazing to me McDavid scored 107 pts in that system they employ.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
People like to dunk on Bergevin (for good reason), but Chiarelli is just as much of a dinosaur and has done less with more to start with.

McDavid is the best player in the world, Draisaitl is an excellent 2C, Klefbom is a good D-man, Nurse and Larsson are good complementary D-men and Talbot can be a capable goalie, but they just don't have the talent to really support McDavid the way basically any other top forward is supported.

I don't think McLennan was every great, but their inability to develop anybody that wasn't a first rounder (mostly lottery) properly and the terrible scouting has been so longstanding that they need to actually purge the front office and catch up with the rest of the league.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
I think it's more than that. They have lost on some trades, and some of their signings haven't been ideal either.

That being said there's still plenty of time for them to turn everything around this season and beyond.

Reactions: McClelland

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Absolutely yes. Chia has ruined what would have been a future dynasty with his shitty trades and garbage asset management. When will we get competent gm's or coaches? It feels like never.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Scotty Bowman couldn't coach the Oilers to the Playoffs. Except for a few pieces, that team is slow, not very skilled, their blueline is terrible, and if Talbot isn't super human they don't win.

Firing T-Mac is irrelevant, its slapping a kids bandage on a sucking chest wound and hoping that the power of jesus will save the patient.

The funny thing is if Oiler fans thing T-Mac is bad, Gulutzan is the next guy to step in and he's even worse.

The Oilers need to fire their management into space and get to the task of trying to seriously rebuild.

Reactions: Rangerfans

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
People like to dunk on Bergevin (for good reason), but Chiarelli is just as much of a dinosaur and has done less with more to start with.

McDavid is the best player in the world, Draisaitl is an excellent 2C, Klefbom is a good D-man, Nurse and Larsson are good complementary D-men and Talbot can be a capable goalie, but they just don't have the talent to really support McDavid the way basically any other top forward is supported.

I don't think McLennan was every great, but their inability to develop anybody that wasn't a first rounder (mostly lottery) properly and the terrible scouting has been so longstanding that they need to actually purge the front office and catch up with the rest of the league.

Bergevin is terrible but he has succeeded much better than Chiarelli at finding supporting pieces: both GMs have made terrible signings of depth defensemen, but Bergevin has done much much better at finding depth forwards and backup goalies.

BAM

Nov 21, 2016
Could've had Hall, McDavid, LD, Eberle, Barzal, Puju as a top 6 but instead all they have is McDavid, a guy who gets paid 8.5 million that can't drive his own line or is inconsistent in LD and Puju..oh and Larsson and Reinhart for Hall and Barzal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad