Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eltuna

Nov 12, 2017
They have done an awesome job, although they could probably use one more really high end piece, preferably a Center as they are very wing heavy.

To me the one thing I think they could have done better at is the McDonagh trade. Trading a 28 year old 1D with 2 years left and adding Miller (returned a Canucks 1st this summer) and getting back what they got wasn’t good enough in my opinion. The Trouba steal helps make up for it though.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
Our pipeline is filled with very good D prospects. Not worried about that.

Center I agree with. If Chytil can emerge as a 2C however that will change.
Pipeline is they key word here.

I am talking about now and within the next two years. Dmen take time to develop, as it's not an easy position to play.

Your defense will be suspect for atleast a few more seasons. After that it may be crazy good though, depends how the dice roll.

NoQuitInNewMexico

Jan 7, 2011
new mexico lol
This is pretty lame analysis but it all depends on the huge pile of 18-21 year olds we have, and there isn't enough info yet. Kakko's pretty safe (whether he becomes "elite" or just good is another story, and obviously also a big deal) but guys like Kravtsov, Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Fox, Shestyorkin and K'Andre Miller all have a wide range of outcomes.

I think in most of the projections where this group is remembered as a big disappointment (maybe one good second liner/second pairing, a couple average Vesey/Strome/Namestnikov players and a bunch of guys who barely stay in the league), they also give us nothing in the next couple years and make it more likely that we get more high draft picks.

I'm not too worried about having too many centers, or not having enough centers, because the organization is never afraid to trade. Though it has probably been a while since we lost a big one (Carl Hagelin for Emerson Etem is not a big one)

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He uhhh most definitely is. Numbers back this up

I would as well have a tough time saying he's a legit #1C, but Panarin& Kakko will raise his game.

Crosby/Malkin/McDavid/Matthews/Barkov/Mackinnon/Point/Bergeron/Tavares/Aho/Backstrom/Kuz/Seguin/Eichel/Scheifele
and so on, we are looking at a pretty long list of guys who would/should be ranked ahead of Zib at Center.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Not sold on their goaltending. You go nowhere without goaltending in this league.

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
I've seen too many teams have solid rosters with no good centers and/or lack of high end centers fail. I mean, look at Nashville. Johanson is better than anything on the NYR roster and they had a superstar team around him and still failed to do anything. Since then, they've tried again to upgrade there with Turris and now Duchene.

Tons of other examples, but the thing is these guys are all still prospects. No doubt many will be NHLers but their quality, and development curve is unknown. Some might still be 3-4 years off of being solid top 6 / top 4 players. TOo many variables.

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
I would as well have a tough time saying he's a legit #1C, but Panarin& Kakko will raise his game.

Crosby/Malkin/McDavid/Matthews/Barkov/Mackinnon/Point/Bergeron/Tavares/Aho/Backstrom/Kuz/Seguin/Eichel/Scheifele
and so on, we are looking at a pretty long list of guys who would/should be ranked ahead of Zib at Center.

I mean he put up similar/better numbers than some of the names you listed with a far inferior supporting cast

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
I've seen too many teams have solid rosters with no good centers and/or lack of high end centers fail. I mean, look at Nashville. Johanson is better than anything on the NYR roster and they had a superstar team around him and still failed to do anything. Since then, they've tried again to upgrade there with Turris and now Duchene.

Tons of other examples, but the thing is these guys are all still prospects. No doubt many will be NHLers but their quality, and development curve is unknown. Some might still be 3-4 years off of being solid top 6 / top 4 players. TOo many variables.
Anything?

Reactions: BuckNashty

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I love what they are doing but i dont think they make playoffs next season. They look good tho in a few years from now if their youth pan out. IMO there are still too many question marks.

Dont get me wrong tho, the turn around has been unreal but im just saying i think atleast another year of dissapointment for fans all while making strides to become good

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
I mean he put up similar/better numbers than some of the names you listed with a far inferior supporting cast
It was also an anomaly of a year for scoring and those other names mostly have done what Zibanejad hasnt in multiple seasons

Platano King

Current mood
Jun 13, 2019
San Diego
They might have improved so fast that they won't be able to fix their defence through the draft unless they strike gold in the later rounds, and beyond Kakko, their centre depth is also questionable. I also question the long-term upside of players that come out of the Finnish development system, but Kakko looks closer to Barkov than others, so who knows.

Curious as to why you think this. Finland has pumped out high quality talent over the past few years (Rantanen, Heskaniaen, Aho, Laine, etc)

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
This is pretty lame analysis but it all depends on the huge pile of 18-21 year olds we have, and there isn't enough info yet. Kakko's pretty safe (whether he becomes "elite" or just good is another story, and obviously also a big deal) but guys like Kravtsov, Chytil, Andersson, Howden, Fox, Shestyorkin and K'Andre Miller all have a wide range of outcomes.

I think in most of the projections where this group is remembered as a big disappointment (maybe one good second liner/second pairing, a couple average Vesey/Strome/Namestnikov players and a bunch of guys who barely stay in the league), they also give us nothing in the next couple years and make it more likely that we get more high draft picks.

I'm not too worried about having too many centers, or not having enough centers, because the organization is never afraid to trade. Though it has probably been a while since we lost a big one (Carl Hagelin for Emerson Etem is not a big one)
Teams who leave their center depth up to trades almost never do well

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
This team has a lot of question marks moving forward, Zibanejad is not one of them. He does everything for the Rangers, and has a very good chance to be their next captain. #2C and #3C is what needs to be filled eventually.

I love what they are doing but i dont think they make playoffs next season. They look good tho in a few years from now if their youth pan out. IMO there are still too many question marks.

Dont get me wrong tho, the turn around has been unreal but im just saying i think atleast another year of dissapointment for fans all while making strides to become good
It wouldn’t really be a disappointment, no one on the Rangers board thinks the team is going to be good. Growth is still the goal here; Kakko, Fox, Andersson, Chytil, Kravtsov, Shesterkin, Howden, Hajek, Quinn...that is what people care about. If some of them have good seasons and the team drafts in the top-10 again, I think most people will be very happy with that. The org still needs one more key draft left in 2020, then after that is when the pressure starts.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
This team has a lot of question marks moving forward, Zibanejad is not one of them. #2C and #3C is what needs to be filled eventually.

It wouldn’t really be a disappointment, no one on the Rangers board thinks the team is going to be good. Growth is still the goal here; Kakko, Fox, Andersson, Chytil, Kravtsov, Shesterkin, Howden, Hajek, Quinn...that is what people care about. If some of them have good seasons and the team drafts in the top-10 again, I think most people will be very happy with that. The org still needs one more key draft left in 2020, then after that is when the pressure starts.

I agree with this. I expect 1 more season of learning for the youth/familiarization for new guys and then 2020/21 season there are no excuses. Gotta start getting it done!

deVolt

Jun 4, 2018
Göteborg
Toronto sent out a "long rebuild" letter in the 2015 offseason, placed last in 2015-2016, were back in the playoffs in 2016-2017, and have been contenders the last 2 years, placing 7th in the league.

Looking at the NYR roster, I doubt they jump straight to contender this year.
you gotta win a playoff round to be classified as a contender no?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
People overstate how long it takes for things to change in the NHL. Teams transition in 1-2 seasons all the time. There’s no virtue in taking the scenic route.

Reactions: ecemleafs

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
It's easy to find goaltending and the Rangers have one of the better piplines at that position.

That is literally dead last on their list of problems.
It’s the most impactful problem they will have this year hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad