Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
. Their defense still is mediocre.

Trouba and Skjei are legit top-2/4 talents. then we have ADA, Fox, Lindqvist, and KA Miller, as potential top-4, and then for depth beyond that, Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren, Robertson, and Reunenaen. We will be weak on the back end for a year or to, but it will get good real quick, even if just 20% of our prospects pan out.

Lundqvist is still old,

Too bad we don't have just about the best goaltending prospects in the world. Oh, wait, we do actually.

. their center depth is still lacking,

Zibby is a legit 1C, under a good contract for a few more years. and then behind him, we have Andersson, Chytil, Howden, and Strome. Our real lacking is a true 2C, but we will see how that shake out.

.and their forward prospects are still unproven.

Thats kinda how prospects work.

They're likely not making the playoffs this year let alone being a contender.

The only reasonable statement you have made. Nobody was calling them a "contender" though. Thats different from being a 'competitor' as the OP stated.

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
I don't think so. They've been re-building since 1994. :D

Lucky for them that NYC is a big UFA draw. It's circumstances, not astute management, that have accelerated the process. And you are still a long way away from being competitive, so I wouldn't even say that you've finished.

They have a very decent prospect base, but I would say that your claim that the re-build is finished, is probably about 2 years too soon.

Last edited:
Reactions: Axe Man

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Trouba and Skjei are legit top-2/4 talents. then we have ADA, Fox, Lindqvist, and KA Miller, as potential top-4, and then for depth beyond that, Hajek, Rykov, Lindgren, Robertson, and Reunenaen. We will be weak on the back end for a year or to, but it will get good real quick, even if just 20% of our prospects pan out.

So the defense is mediocre. Like I said.

Too bad we don't have just about the best goaltending prospects in the world. Oh, wait, we do actually.

Goaltending prospects are highly volatile, and as of now, Lundqvist is still the #1

Zibby is a legit 1C, under a good contract for a few more years. and then behind him, we have Andersson, Chytil, Howden, and Strome. Our real lacking is a true 2C, but we will see how that shake out.

Zibanejad was a lower end number 1 last year, the only year of his career he's played at that level. He still needs to prove he can continue to play at that level to be a legit 1C. The 2-4 centers barring a big breakout are among the worst in the league currently.

Thats kinda how prospects work.

The only reasonable statement you have made. Nobody was calling them a "contender" though. Thats different from being a 'competitor' as the OP stated.

OP said Stanley Cup competitor. I'm not sure how that's different.

The Rangers have done a nice job turning over the roster and adding pieces with potential. It's unlikely that potential will be realized in the next season or two. A rebuild isn't complete until a team actually has success on the ice

Last edited:

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Toronto sent out a "long rebuild" letter in the 2015 offseason, placed last in 2015-2016, were back in the playoffs in 2016-2017, and have been contenders the last 2 years, placing 7th in the league.

Looking at the NYR roster, I doubt they jump straight to contender this year.

Reactions: Feliix

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I’ve been impressed and like what they’ve done this off season, but in no way can we say they’ve “rebuilt” and then just dust our hands off and move on.

We’ll have to see how the first half of this season plays out, at the very least, before confirming it an official rebuild.

Reactions: Ibanezrokr

member 300185

Just one and half year ago Glen Sather and Jeff Gorton wrote a letter to Rangers fans that they're bout to go into a rebuild. Now it seems very likely, that Rangers team will be a fine stanley cup competitor for the upcoming years adding key pieces like Panarin and Trouba.

I think they're the fastest team to have done a rebuild. Has any team gone from rebuild to a competitor in so short time?
Leafs did it 3 years ago. Absolute bottom of the entire league to playoffs.

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
Leafs did it 3 years ago. Absolute bottom of the entire league to playoffs.

But had not made the playoffs for three years. When did the clock start. Not that it matters. They did a great job. The rangers have made nice moves and accomplished a lot in a short time. They would be the first to admit that they aren't close to done.

member 300185

There is a huge difference between Edmonton and Buffalo and the Rangers. Yes they got McDavid, Eichel and Dahlin but they dug themselves in a 10 foot hole to do so and they're just now half way out of getting back out of it. And they let the losing stink infect their culture, and once you get it on you its damn near impossible to get off.

I know the loser stink when I see it, the Rangers had it on them for awhile in the late 90s through the lockout and were saved by the greatest single season in franchise history by Jagr and Lundqvist coming out of nowhere to get them out of the hole.

And I'm a Jets and Mets fan, they've had the stink on them my entire life.
Don't you mean smell it?

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I mean, the Flyers went from dead last to ECF in one season. That's quite the quick turn around

member 300185

But had not made the playoffs for three years. When did the clock start. Not that it matters. They did a great job. The rangers have made nice moves and accomplished a lot in a short time. They would be the first to admit that they aren't close to done.
The clock started when the Leafs won the draft lottery for being leagues worst team. Then, they made the playoffs after missing what...8 years? What I will say about the Rangers is they did really well acquiring players. I don't think they are done, but not many are talking about their many great picks they have accumulated over the last few years. They might squeak in this season but there are some good teams ahead of them that did even better like New Jersey for instance. But yea, their prospects are going to come up at the right time. Cup within 7 years.

member 300185

So the defense is mediocre. Like I said.

Goaltending prospects are highly volatile, and as of now, Lundqvist is still the #1

Zibanejad was a lower end number 1 last year, the only year of his career he's played at that level. He still needs to prove he can continue to play at that level to be a legit 1C. The 2-4 centers barring a big breakout are among the worst in the league currently.

OP said Stanley Cup competitor. I'm not sure how that's different.

The Rangers have done a nice job turning over the roster and adding pieces with potential. It's unlikely that potential will be realized in the next season or two. A rebuild isn't complete until a team actually has success on the ice
Someone is a negative Nelly.

J T Money

Biggest Bozo
Jan 21, 2016
Toronto sent out a "long rebuild" letter in the 2015 offseason, placed last in 2015-2016, were back in the playoffs in 2016-2017, and have been contenders the last 2 years, placing 7th in the league.

Looking at the NYR roster, I doubt they jump straight to contender this year.

I think the Leafs are still rebuilding, despite making the playoffs after being bottom feeders. Signing Matthews to that contract slowed the rebuild down in my honest opinion. Could have used some of that money on building solid depth, but they are certainly looking good compared to 3 years ago.

NYR aren't quite done rebuilding either, but they certainly have decent prospects coming up. They did a very good job considering the situation they were in.

Whether they wanted to continue spinning their tires into mediocrity or full fledge rebuild. Was a smart decision on their part to sell off and acquire assets while they still could.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
They have an elite collection of current and future talent on the wing.

I'm curious how that works out for them

Defense and Centers are subpar.

Goaltending is unknown.

Panarin, Kakko, Krastov, Kreider is nothing to scoff at.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
Do you want it done quick or do you want it done right? The Rangers rebuild looks promising now but that's been said plenty of times about plenty of teams, many that are still in the bottom half of the league.
Surprisingly, a lot of people want it done quick. And when I say a lot of people the "key people" in that statement are owners of teams.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
I think the Leafs are still rebuilding
After 3 straight seasons in the playoffs, and 2 straight seasons in the top-7 of the league, after multiple win-now moves, and an elite core with 3 franchise forwards entering/in their prime, a #1D in their prime, and a #1G in their prime, with secondary depth locked up, and after Leafs management essentially flat out said the rebuild was over, that's quite the interesting take.

JustaFinnishGuy

Joonas Donskoi avi but not a SEA fan ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 3, 2016
Finland
Does anyone else feel like building around Panarin, Trouba, and Kaako is reminiscent of Toronto building around Kessel Phaneuf and van Riemsdyk?
Obviously the Rangers have Lundqvist and Zibanijad, but the Leafs also had Giguiere and Kaberle.

Point is that the Rangers don't have a 1D and have no established center depth. If the rebuild is already over, then it was a waste.
Pretty big reach despite having a basis for it chief

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->