Are the New York Rangers fastest team to have done a rebuild?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Is their rebuild over?
Currently all they are, is a lottery team up against the cap. If the pieces don't fit, they won't have the cap flexibility to easily adjust. Ask again in February, when they are in the hunt for a playoff spot.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
They’re not there yet but I don’t see any point denying the fact that this was about as good as an off-season can get. To get Panarin, Trouba, Kakko, Fox for few assets, based on lottery luck and location in one season is an amazing haul.

NJD did well too getting Hughes, Subban, Gusev; winning the lottery 3 times in the last decade is just nuts. Both teams still have some issues but took huge leaps forward.

tgoat

Jan 3, 2016
Sorry for my bad english on the first message. It may have, and actually did trigger some people.

I meant they'll be a contender in max of five years time, maybe even before that. There are some questions on every aspect, but so far the additions have been great, and I think if Lundgvist won't be overplayed, he'll do fine. I like where the Rangers are going onwards, and I'll surely follow them.

I didn't really like the "Nash" era, and as so I didn't follow them as much, but I think now's the time!

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
On paper that could of been an awesome/fast retool/ rebuild.

Being too lazy to look it up but didn't Brendl have like 70 plus goals his draft year playing in the dub?
They also cut bait on Brendl before his value dropped off completely. He was the centerpiece of the Lindros trade, who while a bit disappointing still gave the Rangers two seasons of legit 1C play.

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
The jury is still out whether their rebuild is finished or not.

Nope the jury has spoken and until our center situation is fixed the rebuild is not yet over. Whether it be from within (one of Chytil/Andersson/Howden develops into a high end 2c), or one more hit and run at the top of the draft as a lottery team and snag Byfield, or Gorton has one more rabbit to pull out if his magic hat and can land us one in a trade.

As it stands now we have one of the worst center situations in the league other than Ottawa, Detroit and Minnesota. And it is still very undecided if Zibandjad last year was a fluke. If so then we are in even worse trouble.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Ya'll just signed Wayne Simmonds, are paying $6M for a goalie who was in the AHL last season, and your best player is a pending free agent.

One year contract, injury rehab assignment which he looked quite good in the National after, and um ok? He can sign whenever he wants during this season, obviously.

You sure burned us there, guy.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Bringing up the fact that Cory Schneider played AHL games last season on a rehab assignment off a torn groin is f***ing RICH when you literally just bought out Shattenkirk. :laugh:

No, seriously, like I'm laughing irl. Too good.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Nope the jury has spoken and until our center situation is fixed the rebuild is not yet over. Whether it be from within (one of Chytil/Andersson/Howden develops into a high end 2c), or one more hit and run at the top of the draft as a lottery team and snag Byfield, or Gorton has one more rabbit to pull out if his magic hat and can land us one in a trade.

As it stands now we have one of the worst center situations in the league other than Ottawa, Detroit and Minnesota. And it is still very undecided if Zibandjad last year was a fluke. If so then we are in even worse trouble.

We also have one of the worst defenses in the NHL. I think thats a bigger problem than center.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
We also have one of the worst defenses in the NHL. I think thats a bigger problem than center.
I think a little different. The starting 6 in 2019 may be bottom half of the nhl but They have the prospect depth and talent on defense. Maybe the best in the NHL. it just can't be rushed. will take a few more years. on the other hand, the center position is a little more precarious. not as much depth and talent there for sure.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I think a little different. The starting 6 in 2019 may be bottom half of the nhl but They have the prospect depth and talent on defense. Maybe the best in the NHL. it just can't be rushed. will take a few more years. on the other hand, the center position is a little more precarious. not as much depth and talent there for sure.

I think both are problems for a team that wants to contend for the Cup. I think both will be good enough in terms of depth. It’s hard to believe a 2-3 up the middle of Zibanejad, Chytil/Howden wouldn’t be good enough, but as a 1-2-3, it’s troublesome. The defense is probably also missing a 1D. Trouba is good, but not good enough to be the best defensemen on a Cup contender. We should have enough depth to fill out a bottom four, but I don’t know about the top end.

I think the top end of our roster at defense and center is the problem going forward. I think we still need a 1D and 1C. Best case scenario, Kakko is converted to center after one season, we are really bad this year and draft a potential 1D early in the draft, and then the team might have the raw pieces to contend.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
Sorry for my bad english on the first message. It may have, and actually did trigger some people.

I meant they'll be a contender in max of five years time, maybe even before that. There are some questions on every aspect, but so far the additions have been great, and I think if Lundgvist won't be overplayed, he'll do fine. I like where the Rangers are going onwards, and I'll surely follow them.

I didn't really like the "Nash" era, and as so I didn't follow them as much, but I think now's the time!
I hope for the Rangers that Lundqvist won't be their tender for the next five seasons.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
The Rangers tend to have awful luck with UFA's. They go there to play for all the wrong reasons. It's a ufa retirement city.
On the other hand the Rangers tend to do quite well with their internal players and development.
If I was a gm there. I'd be demanding massive discounts from any UFA wanting to rest their laurels in the big apple. Or stay away from UFA's entirely. You just can't be sure of a players motivations.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I think the OP worded it wrong and mean playoff contender, not Stanley cup contender. I don't think Rangers are quite there this year, but I think they did a really good job and positioning themselves from being a bottom team for years and a team that should be competing for playoffs going forward, whether that's still a year away or not.

I don't think we're fully done. If we can add a real #2, I'm sure we look to do it by next years off-season. If we can grab some prospects, picks/assets from expiring contracts or players who don't have a future with us, I think we look to do that as well. In my opinion, the real start is when Staal, Smith, and Lundqvist cap hits are off the books.

Reactions: tgoat

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
New York over pays for free agents every other year. Why do we call that a Rebuild?
Because we drafted guys like Andersson, Chytil, Kravtsov, Miller, Lundkvist, Keane, Kakko, Robertson, Henriksson, added a prospect like Fox. They might not all pan out or end up with elite talent, and sure, we traded for Trouba and signed Panarin, but I guess you forgot about the rest while trying to be funny.

Should we have passed on signing Panarin even though other teams offered him more? Maybe he's overpaid, but passing doesn't help your team.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Penguins coming out of the lockout comes to mind. They bottomed out in 2003/04 as an absolutely horrendous team with essentially no upside other than Fleury, then after adding Crosby and having Malkin in the system, so many veterans flocked to Pittsburgh in the 2005 offseason.

2005–06 Pittsburgh Penguins season - Wikipedia

Not that it worked right away, but it was an immediate turnaround in terms of expectations.

NYR94

Mar 31, 2005
Long Island, NY
I consider the rebuild "done" when the team is a contender again. They're not right now so I don't know how you can judge the speed of the rebuild yet. Sather and Gorton's rebuild letter is only 18 months old.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad