Are the Leafs Tough Enough for Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
Playoff hockey is a totally different beast than regular season. Scoring is generally lower and there is a little more reliance on good D. Im interested to see if they are ready for the next level of success. Another question mark I have is with Anderson. The way hes taking shots this season I wonder if he may burn out by the end of the season?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
I love how everyone is discrediting the OP when just last year Toronto was beat up in the playoffs

Anyone who thinks toughness doesnt matter hasnt played much contact hockey

Toronto is one of the most skilled and softest teams in the league. If they dont find themselves a bigger guy to stand up to the Reaves, Wilsons, and the massive teams of Winnipeg and Nashville...

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
This is too much coming from a Bruins fan, you guys squeaked out of the 1st round by the skin of your teeth and were the team that relied on the PP.

Marner was targeted the whole series, he didnt shy away and it didnt stop him from producing.

By the skin of their teeth? They won the clinching game 7-4 and outscored the Leafs by eight goals. What are you talking about?

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think Babcock said it best when asked about team toughness he said "it's not the way we are built as a team, our team toughness lies in the power play and our ability to score if they take stupid penalties.
There is a reason the leafs are last in penalties drawn. Because teams are scared of their PP and don't want to take stupid roughing penalties against them.
That works to a point. That was the Canucks strategy in 2011 too. But at the end of the day if half your team is injured and unable to play it’s not a good strategy. I think team toughness is important in the playoffs. That said, players like Matthews and Tavares can play tough. But a couple of other physical players on D or at forward would certainly take some of the pressure off the star players imo.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
There are certain players on the Leafs that do nothing of much use (Brown, Marleau, Gauthier, Lindholm).

If they were to replace at least two of these guys with equivalent players who don't do much either but can at least hit and provide toughness then that'd be an upgrade. I don't think anyone is saying trade a skilled player for a goon. What people are saying is that you have to be able to grind a bit and have toughness during the playoffs. Because althoguh skill can overcome toughness, you have to remember how absolute shit the reffing in this league is during the playoffs and how much they don't call or let go. This is where you need size and strength on your side.

HolyJumpin

Sep 30, 2016
Another thing to note: hits aren't a quantity over quality thing. If a team has a good physical presence and plays hard, they don't have to hit to strip the puck as much. A good hit that causes a turnover is much more important than 5 meaningless ones.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What team was legitimately the best and lost the Cup because they weren't tough enough?

I missed that series for sure.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
What team was legitimately the best and lost the Cup because they weren't tough enough?

I missed that series for sure.

Name a single team that won a cup without some gritty players on their roster though. The Caps had quite a few, the Pens had guys like Ian Cole and Hornqvist who can play the body. Hawks had a very physical dcorps and we know how heavy the Kings were.

You don't need guys that can fight but you need guys that are big or strong. Leafs have a bit of this in Tavares and Kadri and Hyman imo but it's slim pickings after that.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Name a single team that won a cup without some gritty players on their roster though. The Caps had quite a few, the Pens had guys like Ian Cole and Hornqvist who can play the body. Hawks had a very physical dcorps and we know how heavy the Kings were.

You don't need guys that can fight but you need guys that are big or strong. Leafs have a bit of this in Tavares and Kadri and Hyman imo but it's slim pickings after that.
I don't feel the Leafs are completely devoid here, though.

Kadri is one of the nastiest motherf***ers in the league. Hainsey plays the body. Hyman plays his nuts off.

Plus, a physical presence can always be added at the deadline if they really feels it's a need. It's not like they're looking for a 1C.

Reactions: Kelly

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
As Babcock told me via pre playoff conference call when Jimmy Howard went into his first playoffs (Paraphrasing)

‘You won’t know until he comes out the other side”.

Same applies to the Leafs.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I love how everyone is discrediting the OP when just last year Toronto was beat up in the playoffs

Toronto is one of the most skilled and softest teams in the league. If they dont find themselves a bigger guy to stand up to the Reaves, Wilsons, and the massive teams of Winnipeg and Nashville...
how much were the Leafs outhit by against Boston?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Five. Literally, five.

The "Big Bad Bruins" meme is so misguided. The 2010-11 Stanley Cup Champs were one of the smallest teams in the league. 23rd, off the top of my head. Probably would have been 30th if you take away Lucic and Chara.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Five. Literally, five.

The "Big Bad Bruins" meme is so misguided. The 2010-11 Stanley Cup Champs were one of the smallest teams in the league. 23rd, off the top of my head. Probably would have been 30th if you take away Lucic and Chara.
Yeah I know. He was supposed to look it up and be shocked

The leafs definitely aren't an intimidating team, but I don't think they have many players who are uncomfortable with physical play. Maybe just Gardiner and Nylander

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
It was actually pretty even according to hockey reference (im not adding the totals rn but its a difference of less than 10)

But Boston was younger, smaller, and shorter than Toronto so it clearly shows IMO that Toronto plays with far less grit because anyone who watched the series saw Boston tilting the game whenever they started throwing their weight around. And now Toronto has even less bottom six grit type guys and have replaced them with Kapanen and other skilled forwards

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
People focus too much on the hit numbers when looking at The Bruins intimidated the Leafs last year by focusing physical attention on their skilled players and essentially neutralized them with the exception of Marner who fought through it.
The Bruins aren’t a particularly big team but even their star players play with grit and are tough to play against. They hit and impeded the Leafs star players at every opportunity.
The game has changed from the old days where goons mattered but the ability to play physical in the playoffs where the refs tend to put away their whistles as the playoffs go on still matters a lot.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

What? No they didn't :laugh:

Inconsistent goaltending, the big line for the Bruins and them shutting down our first line, and our PK sucking ass all sunk the Leafs, literally had nothing to do with toughness.

The Leafs definitely could use a big SKILLED physical player -- but I would put a top 4 RH defenseman way above that on our list of needs. As much as some of you don't want to admit it, the Leafs are probably one of the most skilled teams in the league, and while a Reaves or Wilson would be useful, a player like that isn't going to be the difference of us making it past the first round.

We could've had Tie Domi and Matt Martin on the ice, and I doubt it would've stopped Kronwall from boarding Matthews - that's going to happen regardless. Only thing that may have changed is us also getting a penalty when they try to kick the shit outta him.

Babcock said it best, our toughness is our red hot PP -- take a penalty, we'll make you pay. This isn't the 1980s anymore gentleman :laugh:

mrv52

Jan 22, 2004
I have only read the last couple pages but this thread reminds me of discussions about the Boudreau era caps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad