Are the Leafs Tough Enough for Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Is Tampa? Was Pittsburgh?

10 years ago I say no. Today, I’d say they are fine.

But Malkin and Sid are feisty as Hell, they have some edge to their game. Sid spent his junior years in the Q being abused on a daily basis when Junior hockey was JUNIOR HOCKEY(!!!) when it was wars of attrition. And he has been there when the NHL was way tougher and his concussion problems showed that. The guy is steeled for battle like no talented guys from the Leafs are. The moment Sid showed up in the NHL, he was already more of a man that Matthews will be in 5 years.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Fighting majors is a poor metric to measure team toughness. The Leafs are arguably the most skilled team in the league but scoring the most goals or winning the Presidents trophy won't mean a thing going into the playoffs if they keep letting other teams take runs at Matthews and their other star players.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
Reminded me of this one:

Glad Matthews did not have the same outcome.

The Leafs lack toughness, but the Jets don't and barely responded to this. I don't think it means much.

I was at that game and you could hear a pin drop

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If the Leafs don't win, it won't be because "hurr durr not tough enough hurr durr." It will be because of their defense.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I would love nothing more for them to decide that they aren’t and acquire a bunch of gritty slow vets. That’s not where the league is today.

Reactions: sharkhawk

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
I thought the Hawks and Penguins dispelled this myth years ago. Did I time travel?

The Hawks were pretty much outhit every game they played. In particular the 2015 series against the Ducks where they kept on hitting the Hawk D over and over again to the point of " how are these guys still standing? "The Leafs are a somewhat similar team to the Hawks of that era ( 2010 - 2015 )

I disagree. Those Hawks and Pens teams were built on skill for the most part but had some balance in their line up as well. They were biased toward skill but had some grit in the line up as well. Those Hawks teams had guys like Ladd, Byfuglien, Seabrook, Bickell, Shaw, Carcillo, Desjardin, Mayers, Sharp, Burish, Scott and Bollig who would all basically be the Leafs toughest player right now. Even a guy like Toews would throw the weight around a bit and win every board battle come playoff time. They had a lot of skill but the team was balanced. They actually kinda reminded me of the 2008 red wings. High end skill that for the most part wasnt soft but also a few guys who could bring it physically when the skill wasnt working. I dont see that with the Leafs

The Pens werent as tough but Malkin can really be a physical freak when he wants and plays huge minutes, Crosby for a star is similar to Toews, Hornqvist is full of piss and vinegar, Craig Adams, Cole is tougher than any Leaf right now, Kunitz played a lot of mins and is a gritty/dirty player. Not as tough as what the Hawks were but still could ramp it up physically when they had to. I only see Kadri who is more of a rat who will try to bring it physically and hes not a big guy that scares anyone.

They are the softest team in nhl history so we shall see

I didnt think of this but the Leafs are likely the softest team in history. I would have to look at some other rosters this season but they are definitely up there.

I think the skill is there for them obviously but this might be one of those teams that has some playoff issues before they make some moves to bring in a Josh Anderson type of player to help with the phsyical side of the game. You dont need to be "tough" to win but you need to have some balance. The Leafs are lacking that balance right now

hector morrison

Apr 1, 2018
My point isnt about Powerplay.

Who cares about powerplay if Leaf star players are injured because its open season on them.

You dont think rival teams are seeing that worthless reaction on Auston Mathews.

Ok if that was kadri or hyman then fine face wash take the PP.

But anyone so much as sneezes on Mathews let alone gives him.a questionable hit to the boards then there should be a stern reaction either in the moment or at the very least later on w. Kronwall to deter any future shananigans on them.
Auston is a big boy,likes to play in traffic,doesn't play scarred and can for the most part take the incidental rough play. Marner seems to be slippery enough to avoid most big hit attempts (been doing it his whole life),Willy doesn't get involved as much (perimeter player). The kids for the most part can watch out for themselves (the league is much softer nowadays) .
However,the word is out! Play Auston physical,slow him down,get a bit dirty with him and there will be zero retaliation from his team mates. For those who say the PP is a deterrent or a weapon. Well,not if Auston is laid up for weeks! So,then the question is ...how does a tough guy stop that injury? 100% for sure that hit happens without said tough guy on board. That % drops if you do have him on board . Intimidation is real...for anyone who has played competitive sports can attest to this! To say you have played and not been a part of or witnessed intimidation would be dishonest!
I expect more of the same . A pure "enforcer' won't get a job today,so the power forward or bruising Dman is needed.Someone needs to keep the opposition thinking twice about any 'questionable hits'.
Leafs have 5 million cap space,I hope they spend it wisely!

DownGoesMcDavid

Apr 17, 2017
Yeah let's trade marner for some big guys like lucic

Who said anything about that ??

Why be so dramatic and extreme ?

Nobody us suggesting a leaf team full of goons but IMO having a guy who can keep the other team honest would be a big big addition to Leafs run.

A hit on the franchise player whether clean or not cant happen without consequences.

29 other teams saw that play and lack of reaction or push back.

Open season

Reactions: dukeofjive
Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
A little sandpaper can be good, but to me, playoff "toughness" are the lesser known guys being able to step up and contribute when someone goes down with injury. That's what makes playoff runs last into May and June.

POVERTY

Leafs and Marchand fan
Sep 27, 2017
Only ONE fighting major? This team stands absolutely no chance in the playoffs. All they seem to focus on is scoring goals, like that's ever helped anyone win hockey games. Leafs need a fighter ASAP.

Reactions: Slyfox

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
I thought you said 4 straight goals, where did I see that before:huh:
2010, Boston vs Philly, Boston loses three straight in the playoffs to bring it to a game 7. Goes up 3-0, loses 4-3. Philly goes to Conference Finals.

That's probably the one you were thinking.

Reactions: Chain Attack

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
2010, Boston vs Philly, Boston loses three straight in the playoffs to bring it to a game 7. Goes up 3-0, loses 4-3. Philly goes to Conference Finals.

That's probably the one you were thinking.
Cool story now try one that is Leaf related. Thread title would have been the 1st hint, lol

Leafs are not tough enough and it will hurt them, Babcock does not like that style, so it will not happen

Last edited:
Reactions: dukeofjive

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Toronto will be fine.

Could use a bit of sandpaper on D, but not a necessity for a deep playoff run.

People underestimate how the constant offensive pressure due to the elite C (and really, fwd) depth will wear teams down in a 7 game series.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
I think Babcock said it best when asked about team toughness he said "it's not the way we are built as a team, our team toughness lies in the power play and our ability to score if they take stupid penalties.
There is a reason the leafs are last in penalties drawn. Because teams are scared of their PP and don't want to take stupid roughing penalties against them.

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
Its funny cause when we were one of the toughest teams penciling in two goons (Orr, Mclaren) and other pests per game that got us nowhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad