Are the Leafs Tough Enough for Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No I don’t think they are tough enough and that will be something other teams will try to exploit as you don’t want to play run and gun against the Leafs.
People saying Pitts weren’t tough need to realize that the Pens two stars, Malkin and Crosby are both tough players who can dish it out and take it. They also had some tough defenders and role players.
The big advantage this Leafs club has over last years is that it will be harder to shut down all of the offensive weapons. Last year the Bruins hit Nylander and Matthews into submission and the team couldn’t generate offense. It will be harder to do that this year but that will still be the strategy in the playoffs I suspect.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
In the playoffs they will if they shy away from hits is my point.

I do not think they are tough enough unless players like Marner and Gardiner become willing to take a hit.

This is too much coming from a Bruins fan, you guys squeaked out of the 1st round by the skin of your teeth and were the team that relied on the PP.

Marner was targeted the whole series, he didnt shy away and it didnt stop him from producing.

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
This is too much coming from a Bruins fan, you guys squeaked out of the 1st round by the skin of your teeth and were the team that relied on the PP.

Marner was targeted the whole series, he didnt shy away and it didnt stop him from producing.

He absolutely shied away. It was Nylander if anyone who battled through the hits. I vividly recall Marner bailing on plays because a hit was coming.

Winning a round is winning a round by the way... same with losing.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
No not at all, soft as butter, Tampa will have fun with them. Hope Andersen stays healthy too without him they are dead in the water.

Cotton

May 13, 2013
He absolutely shied away. It was Nylander if anyone who battled through the hits. I vividly recall Marner bailing on plays because a hit was coming.

Winning a round is winning a round by the way... same with losing.

You are confusing the two. Marner was the one who had Marchand following him around and who led the Leafs with 9pts, Nylander was invisible that series and who plays with Matthews.

It is, but there us a difference between dominating an opponent and squeaking out the win. It's just about respecting reality vs Hollywood'ing the retelling.

swint

Nov 16, 2014
Unless they reformat the league and begin deciding games based on which team has more hits at the end of the night.... I think the Leafs will be juuuuuuuust fine :D

middletoe

Why am I me?
Nov 5, 2008
Northern Ontario
I think they’re better off than last years playoffs.

Against Boston they weren’t prepared for cross-checking to the back to be legal I think. Now they will be ready for it ... if it’s still considered acceptable play that is.

The sooner they figure out the officiating come playoff time the better. They should have a department just for that maybe. The officiating science & psychology department.

Last edited:

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
In the playoffs they will if they shy away from hits is my point.

I do not think they are tough enough unless players like Marner and Gardiner become willing to take a hit.
it depends against boston last year we were very soft, but the year before we were pretty mean given the circumstances against Washington.

also marner was fine last year, you cant catch him, he goes into the dirty areas too.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
Someone ought to teach that Kronwall kid he can't play that way in this league. Imagine if he thinks it's acceptable to hit players hard and they name a hit after him? Better get a 4th liner out there to fight him before he gets any ideas.

Goose

Apr 18, 2006
10 years ago, yes Leafs toughness is a real problem.

Today? Maybe... maybe not though. I’d rather have slightly better defence than slightly better team toughness if given the choice for this team.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't know about the Leafs but their fans on HF certainly are. :naughty:

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
I'm not questioning their toughness

I question their defense

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
No need for Leafs to fight. They will need to accept and fight through tougher playoff checking and finish their own checks. They did not last year and it cost them. The power play will cool any stupid ideas the other team might have about roughing up the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad