Are the Leafs Tough Enough for Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Is this 2014 still? Even then, Chicago almost had a dynasty and was soft. So what?

Chicago had a gameplan against Boston to hit Chara everytime he had the puck, and in the end it worked. Leaf last season ran away when Chara came...

member 151739

I thought the Hawks and Penguins dispelled this myth years ago. Did I time travel?

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
There is always something to complain about :)

I rather a team built for the new NHL than the Brian Burke model. Toughness is overrated.

crazyhawk

Apr 8, 2011
In the Hills
The Hawks were pretty much outhit every game they played. In particular the 2015 series against the Ducks where they kept on hitting the Hawk D over and over again to the point of " how are these guys still standing? "The Leafs are a somewhat similar team to the Hawks of that era ( 2010 - 2015 )

bigdog16

Nov 7, 2013
USA
Its a different era, but the playoffs are still substantially more physical than the regular season. Every check is finished. Leafs will probably be fine but it could come back to bite them

Reactions: Vertain

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Toronto Maple Leafs
Hits per game season: 22.3
Hits per game playoffs: 36.3

Auston Matthews
Hits per game season: 0.26
Hits per game playoffs: 1.77

I'm sure Matthews and co. will be fine. It's not like were going to play someone more physical than Boston or Washington were and we've upped the physical play ourselves.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Toronto Maple Leafs
Hits per game season: 22.3
Hits per game playoffs: 36.3

Auston Matthews
Hits per game season: 0.26
Hits per game playoffs: 1.77

I'm sure Matthews and co. will be fine. It's not like were going to play someone more physical than Boston or Washington were and we've upped the physical play ourselves.

Last year it felt like the Leafs couldn't get out of the way of hits fast enough. Also is that home team stats boosting? How were the home vs away numbers?

weinsink

Feb 8, 2018
Good hit so stop whinning,hitting is part of the game and it's open season on anybody.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
Depends on who they play. Playoffs are a different animal and if you cant match up physically with a team or have your speed taken away because of that, you will see a different game than you are used to seeing in the regular season. However there are only a few teams who can match them offensively so that could be their way out of that as that will always give them a chance.

The Flying Octopus

Sep 18, 2017
Birmingham
Dead Last in the league with 1 fighting major this season. ONE.

Franchise player Mathews gets pummeled to the boards by Kronwall tonight and the reaction was just a face wash. Nobody even challenges Kronwall or any other Red Wing the rest of the game.

Leafs no doubt are one of the most skilled teams in the league but we all know when it comes playoff time, players will be bullying and targeting their stars. Theyve moved on from Martin who has led the team in fighting by a country mile over the last few seasons.

So are they tough enough ? Who's gonna stand up to someome like Tom Wilson?

Leafs are also bottom 5 in Hits given and contending teams like Vegas Pitt and Tbay are top 5.

NHL.com - Stats
Its open season on these stars.

Sorry but Matthews wasn't "pummeled," and clearly lost an edge while not protecting himself for what was going to be a very clean, everyday type hit you see most NHL players dish out in the corners. I get it though. It was Matthews and he should get the LeBron treatment. :sarcasm:

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Yeah they just need to stop being shocked they got hit.

Agreed

I’ll add that when the playoffs start every team targets the other teams best players more then ever. So Leafs need to accept that and just play through it and not let it affect their play negatively or take any incredibly dumb penalties (Kadri).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad