Are the Leafs Tough Enough for Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
Leaf fans, I don't get to see your team to often....generally speaking, do most leaf fans think the team lacks toughness or is this just a HF Boards myth?

They lack toughness, however toughness doesn't suit their team game. It's already been posted earlier, but if the Leafs are able to dictate the flow of a game and not respond to cheap shit then they'll simply outscore their opponents on the Power Play. Look to the Leafs' first game vs. the Sharks if you want to see how that goes. Not to mention, Mike Babcock has a lot to do with why they don't respond to cheap acts.

So to answer your question, yes; but it's overblown on HF because people just love to rip on this team.

Reactions: Nizdizzle and mavis

Eat The Rich

Jun 17, 2017
I keep noticing a trend here. The players that keep getting brought up as examples of players that the Leafs need on their team (Wilson, Reaves, etc..) are the same guys that keep getting suspended for cheap shit.

It doesn't really do a team very much good to have important guys sitting out parts of the year for no reason, and goes to show that the brand of hockey that they play doesn't really have any place in the game anymore.

Reactions: mavis and Rob Brown

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Dead last in power play opportunities this year. Guess where they were last year? But sure, the leafs catch all the breaks.

They probably don't get certain calls because the refs COULD be calling interference constantly on the Leafs and choose not to. It balances out.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
I wouldn't go trying to use an injury as an excuse. The Leafs aren't the only team in the NHL.
Not an excuse at all. Without Matthews for 10 games and Nylander all season the leafs still built up a record that puts them as a top 3-5 team in the league. Not bad for a team with "no toughness"

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Not an excuse at all. Without Matthews for 10 games and Nylander all season the leafs still built up a record that puts them as a top 3-5 team in the league. Not bad for a team with "no toughness"
In the regular season. Also, I'd have to imagine that teams were reminded of how to have success vs Toronto in this last game between these teams.

Your original point was about the playoffs - there were injuries on the Bruins side as well.

No one is saying that right now Toronto isn't a top team either. A good goalie and lethal offense.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No they aren't tough enough.
Goons aren't needed just a couple guys who can play heavier and teach the softees how to finish a check.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
In Game 1 of last year's playoffs, the Leafs tried to match the Bruins game and Kadri ended up getting suspended. The next few games they battled back from a 2-0 and then 3-1 deficit and forced a game 7 by playing their own game. Everyone knows the eventual outcome but it's not like the Leafs can't compete in the playoffs by playing their own game and not getting sucked into that style. Obviously the playoffs are a long grind but let's not pretend that they can't find success playing their style.

Reactions: Nizdizzle and mavis

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
In the regular season. Also, I'd have to imagine that teams were reminded of how to have success vs Toronto in this last game between these teams.

Your original point was about the playoffs - there were injuries on the Bruins side as well.

No one is saying that right now Toronto isn't a top team either. A good goalie and lethal offense.
The playoffs we're a battle, no walk in the park for either team. It took Boston 7 games to win the series. The way some people on here talk it's almost like you swept Toronto and pushed them around in the process which is not the case. That's all I'm trying to get across.

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
I keep noticing a trend here. The players that keep getting brought up as examples of players that the Leafs need on their team (Wilson, Reaves, etc..) are the same guys that keep getting suspended for cheap ****.

It doesn't really do a team very much good to have important guys sitting out parts of the year for no reason, and goes to show that the brand of hockey that they play doesn't really have any place in the game anymore.

Can you please come over and cheer for the Leafs with me?

Rob Brown

Way She Goes
Dec 17, 2009
I keep noticing a trend here. The players that keep getting brought up as examples of players that the Leafs need on their team (Wilson, Reaves, etc..) are the same guys that keep getting suspended for cheap ****.

Yep. The fact that guys like Komarov and Martin sat in the playoffs last year is a pretty clear indication that the Leafs see no point in having someone like them on the team, because it detracts from the team's style.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
They took Boston to game 7 last year with an unhealthy Matthews and only one of these teams significantly improved this season. You don't see them possibly winning one more close game?
I just think certain teams develop into a “bogey” team for certain opponents. I keep using the Sens/leafs battles from the Quinn/Sundin era because I figure leafs fans are familiar with it.

Ottawa also took certain series to 7 games and were more skilled with better depth, but you just always had the feeling that the Sens would never get it done vs the leafs.

Currently the leafs give me the same feeling of not being able to get over the Boston hump.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

Beville

#ForTheBoys
Mar 4, 2011
Engerlanddd!
Power play isn’t gonna do much when a team like Boston is wearing you down over 7 games... you need some toughness to go in the other direction.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
Frustration boiling over from goon fans.
If I were the Leafs, I wouldn't care about needing toughness - they do a great job outscoring their opponents.

They have what every other team wants - skill and speed - It's only a few fans that think they need to de evolve into cavemen and fight.

Reactions: Rob Brown

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
Toughness is always nice in hockey, but I think it was more important in the past. The Leafs have a lot of skill up front and if Babcock can teach them to play good defense in the playoffs, I wouldn't be surprised to see them go far or even all the way.

Reactions: amethyst

sufferer

Dec 6, 2017
The idea of toughness has obviously morphed over the years. Their's will be measured by their ability to withstand the barrage they'll face against the likes of Boston, Washington and Tampa in the playoffs. Their offense is undeniably potent, just downright filthy but I remain unconvinced that defense corps can hold up against the top teams they'll need to face to win it all.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They took Boston to game 7 last year with an unhealthy Matthews and only one of these teams significantly improved this season. You don't see them possibly winning one more close game?

Boston seems to be all over them this season. They just dismantled them with a borderline AHL team. Also there is no documents of Matthew's being injured other than Leaf fans just saying so to make themselves feel better. Boston was also missing their #3C in Nash, their best player in Bergeron for a game, as well as their #4D for the entire series.

Takasugi

Dec 7, 2018
I just think certain teams develop into a “bogey” team for certain opponents. I keep using the Sens/leafs battles from the Quinn/Sundin era because I figure leafs fans are familiar with it.

Ottawa also took certain series to 7 games and were more skilled with better depth, but you just always had the feeling that the Sens would never get it done vs the leafs.

Currently the leafs give me the same feeling of not being able to get over the Boston hump.

Boston won 1 playoff series against these leafs. Literally. Ppl are inventing some strange narratives.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
East playoffs are going to be a must watch this year . Tampa and Toronto are both offensive power houses and Boston is fast skilled and gritty . Can stop Tampa’s and Toronto’s speed and elite players by getting under their skin. Can’t ****en wait

Also Washington who’s a blend like Boston and Pens . Damn
If anything Tampa got under Boston's skin last year. The "Big Bad Bruins" are not a thing anymore, they're at best average at physicality.

Reactions: Gordon Lightfoot
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->