Are the Leafs Tough Enough for Playoffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
Boston is to Toronto currently what Toronto was to Ottawa in the late 90’s early 2000s. And the reason is the same. As things stand now, I don’t see Toronto beating Boston in a playoff series.

Disagree. We're ahead of them in the standings-they have to win here.

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
Disagree. We're ahead of them in the standings-they have to win here.
In the same way back then I threw out everything regular season when it came to a Sens-leafs post season match, so do I now when it comes to a Bruins-leafs post season match.

A few times back the then Ottawa had a better regular season than Toronto, but if they matched up in the playoffs, my reaction was always “ok. That’s it for Ottawa this year.”

Psychological or whatever, some teams just own other teams.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
In the same way back then I threw out everything regular season when it came to a Sens-leafs post season match, so do I now when it comes to a Bruins-leafs post season match.

A few times back the then Ottawa had a better regular season than Toronto, but if they matched up in the playoffs, my reaction was always “ok. That’s it for Ottawa this year.”

Psychological or whatever, some teams just own other teams.

They took Boston to game 7 last year with an unhealthy Matthews and only one of these teams significantly improved this season. You don't see them possibly winning one more close game?

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Is Zach Hyman Toronto's answer to their apparent or implied lack of toughness? Doesn't seem to have an issue with a little dirty play once in a while and he looks like he can handle himself in a fight.

Don't want this to turn into a discussion about the hit itself (there's already a thread on that) but Toronto does appear to have a player willing to do some dirty work (no pun intended) for the team.

Grzelcyk is 5'9"

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I remember when the it was questioned whether the Blackhawks were tough enough to beat the Kings in 2013.

And it was questioned whether the Blackhawks were tough enough to beat the Bruins in 2013.

And it was questioned whether the Blackhawks were tough enough to beat the Ducks in 2015.

In truth, no, they weren't tough enough to beat any of them. Fortunately for them, it was never an issue. Any time any one of those teams attempted to start some 'tough' ****, the Blackhawks simply laughed in their face, skated away, and scored more goals than them.

The Maple Leafs won't win any playoff series if they allow another tougher team to dictate how the series is played. If they dictate the series is played on their terms, in a speed, skill game, then it won't matter how tough they are or how tough their opponents are. They'll be too busy outscoring them.
This so much, it's all about who dictates the flow of the game. When the leafs play the bruins they let them dictate the game and it clearly shows (e.g. Saturday). If we play our speed and skill game we can beat pretty much any team in the league

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Maybe if the officiating weren't so lopsided, there wouldn't be an apperance of a problem here.

Hyman suspendable hit on McAvoy, Grzelcyk goes after Hyman, no PP for the Bruins yet it was bad enough for Hyman to get suspended

Wagner non-suspendable hit on Rielly, Hainsey goes after Wagner, somehow PP for the Leafs yet wasn't a bad enough hit for a suspension

But yes, the poor Leafs can't get a call. Cry me a river

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
What? Leafs we're not "run over" they came out flat last night and Freddy had a bad night in net. Were the Bruins run over when the Leafs beat them last game? Or last season when the leafs swept the season series against Boston?
Last season you had Martin, Komarov, Carrick and so on. Also last season is kind of irrelevant in regards to this year's playoffs?

6-3 and 5-1, so eleven goals in those two games. Toronto won one 4-2 but Boston were pretty depleted then missing half their Ds (including Chara) + Bergeron.

Finish the checks against Toronto and all the softies get nervous making stressed passes and what not.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
Last season you had Martin, Komarov, Carrick and so on. Also last season is kind of irrelevant in regards to this year's playoffs?

6-3 and 5-1, so eleven goals in those two games. Toronto won one 4-2 but Boston were pretty depleted then missing half their Ds (including Chara) + Bergeron.

Finish the checks against Toronto and all the softies get nervous making stressed passes and what not.
Wow you seem to figured out the system to beat the Leafs consistently. Let all the other teams in on the secret because the the Leafs won't be a top 3 team in the league. I mean if it's that simple to beat them how the hell did the build up such a good record?

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Wow you seem to figured out the system to beat the Leafs consistently. Let all the other teams in on the secret because the the Leafs won't be a top 3 team in the league. I mean if it's that simple to beat them how the hell did the build up such a good record?

Their record of 0 playoff series wins (when big boy heavy checking hockey starts) is enviable to say the least

Reactions: beukeboom

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
They took Boston to game 7 last year with an unhealthy Matthews and only one of these teams significantly improved this season. You don't see them possibly winning one more close game?

If you could predict hockey games using a math equation, sure.

Also, "unhealthy" Matthews LOL. How many more no-shows until the excuses stop?

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Kingsfan1

Oct 1, 2006
Staples Center
East playoffs are going to be a must watch this year . Tampa and Toronto are both offensive power houses and Boston is fast skilled and gritty . Can stop Tampa’s and Toronto’s speed and elite players by getting under their skin. Can’t f***en wait

Also Washington who’s a blend like Boston and Pens . Damn

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Hyman suspendable hit on McAvoy, Grzelcyk goes after Hyman, no PP for the Bruins yet it was bad enough for Hyman to get suspended

Wagner non-suspendable hit on Rielly, Hainsey goes after Wagner, somehow PP for the Leafs yet wasn't a bad enough hit for a suspension

But yes, the poor Leafs can't get a call. Cry me a river
Dead last in power play opportunities this year. Guess where they were last year? But sure, the leafs catch all the breaks.

Eric Wiebe

Dec 9, 2018
The Leafs look like a good offensive team, but besides Morgan Reilly there is still a big question mark on the defense. Also, they're not big enough to hang with a team like Boston, Tampa or Montreal when it comes to a playoff matchup.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
If you could predict hockey games using a math equation, sure.

Also, "unhealthy" Matthews LOL. How many more no-shows until the excuses stop?

He literally stated before the series he wasn't fully recovered but was going to play anyway. I can't predict the Leafs can beat Boston next playoffs because why exactly? I'm not sure you know what you're talking about.

Devonator

Jan 5, 2003
Leaf fans, I don't get to see your team to often....generally speaking, do most leaf fans think the team lacks toughness or is this just a HF Boards myth?

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Leaf fans, I don't get to see your team to often....generally speaking, do most leaf fans think the team lacks toughness or is this just a HF Boards myth?
I think the toughest player on their roster is Kadri. So yea, they lack toughness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad