are the Leafs too skilled

Are the Leafs too skilled for their own good

• Total voters

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
It feels like you posted this as a response to me, only to then agree at the end.

No, it wasn't a response to you lol. It was a general response to everyone, specifically those complaining about this team's playstyle and acting is if the world is falling after every odd loss. It'd make sense if they weren't 4th in the league since they began playing the Keefe way.

We need a backup as I mentioned, but a more pressing need is for Andersen to simply just return to his normal. Andersen is due for a bounceback to his normal rate since his play has been bad but unsustainable. It's as simple as that.

TheOneArmedMan

Jan 17, 2011
Leafs have 2 big issues... Goaltending and defense.

If Dubas wants to save the season he needs to either find a better backup or add some depth on the blueline.

If not this season he will probably re-tool the team in the offseason

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Leafs have 2 big issues... Goaltending and defense.

If Dubas wants to save the season he needs to either find a better backup or add some depth on the blueline.

If not this season he will probably re-tool the team in the offseason

Backup goaltending isn't needed it would be a waste of assets at this point in the season. Ride Hutch and look to improve the team defense in front of our goalies instead.

This and only this should be the focus of Dubas moving forward.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
Lots of skill, some skill, whatever.
Can this "team" fight through adversity and find ways to get it done when it's on the line? Or do you spend all season telling me how great everyone is but we keep falling apart in game 7's or losing key matchups when looking to strengthen our regular season position.

Which is it?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Lots of skill, some skill, whatever.
Can this "team" fight through adversity and find ways to get it done when it's on the line? Or do you spend all season telling me how great everyone is but we keep falling apart in game 7's or losing key matchups when looking to strengthen our regular season position.

Which is it?

The last 2 games against Florida which were must win games as they're fighting for the same playoff spot, and Leafs lost 8-4 (worst beating since 2015 when Carlyle was coach) and losing 5-3 to the Panthers again last game giving up 4 goals in the 3rd and Florida missing their star centre Barkov.

Those games were benchmarks to me to test the Leafs skill/speed vs compete and ability to overcome adversity.

If the Leafs miss the playoffs based on these games then all the skill in the world will not matter 1 iota.

Reactions: Polaris1010

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
The last 2 games against Florida which were must win games as they're fighting for the same playoff spot, and Leafs lost 8-4 (worst beating since 2015 when Carlyle was coach) and losing 5-3 to the Panthers again last game giving up 4 goals in the 3rd and Florida missing their star centre Barkov.

Those games were benchmarks to me to test the Leafs skill/speed vs compete and ability to overcome adversity.

If the Leafs miss the playoffs based on these games then all the skill in the world will not matter 1 iota.
Well if Dubas is great and the 40 mil in salary is great and our depth is great and coaching is great, overall team balance is great, it should be easy to identify what isn’t great and fix it.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Backup goaltending isn't needed it would be a waste of assets at this point in the season. Ride Hutch and look to improve the team defense in front of our goalies instead.

This and only this should be the focus of Dubas moving forward.
Another test for Hutch tonight against a lower level team and Leafs are fresh. So it should be a good game form him as conditions are ideal. I got a weird feeling he will start bad and get pulled but we still come back and take game.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
It's a good question that's tough to answer. A fair bit depends on whether there's enough of a correlation between skill and success on an annual basis. Is skill enough of the reason for what propels a team forward? Is lack of skill enough of the reason for what holds a team back? What are some of the other considerations? (big game experience, health, will, etc.)

Reactions: ryno23

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020

Except they werent must win games. Yes it sucks losing 4 point games but it happens. Plenty of time left in the season, we're in a decent spot and Florida isnt the only team ahead of us. There will be 5 or 6 teams likely fighting for the last 3 spots

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Well if Dubas is great and the 40 mil in salary is great and our depth is great and coaching is great, overall team balance is great, it should be easy to identify what isn’t great and fix it.

We're 4th overall since he got his coach, I wouldn't say there's a super pressing need to fix :sarcasm:

Just need Andersen to return to normal.

Reactions: The Podium

Magicman

Mar 18, 2008
The Leafs have no toughness up front and nobody on defense that hits and/or has any grit. When my man Muzzin is your PIM leader, you are a team that is not difficult to play against when things tighten up. No offense Jake.

I don't know if there is a stat, but I would believe the Leafs lead the league in the amount of times their goalie has been hit/run at/"accidently" run at.

I don't know if goaltending is really the issue at this point as whomever is brought in will likely be hit and eventually injured.

I would think they need a couple of players up front who are not afraid to mix it up, not necessarily a guy like Reaves, but somebody who has some skill and can fight to go along with a gritty 4th line center who is a defensive first guy. Plus a defenseman who will clear out the front, deliver a hit and if necessary fight when the goalie is run. Some more skill on the right side would also help.

Reactions: PoppaCherry

Papa Cherry

Nov 20, 2011
Our skill is too concentrated in the forwards

The defense has skill with the puck too but the whole team is far too soft. The leafs get rattled easily when things get physical, but that's no secret.

Our group just needs to play with more intensity and determination and less like its an all star game with too many cute plays. It'll come with experience and age. When Willy loses a few teeth and Matty gets some cross-checks to the face theyll toughen up and sacrifice, which is what it takes to win a cup.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Leafs are 4th in the ENTIRE league since Keefe got hired (0.683% in 30 games).

Let me repeat this:

Leafs are 4th in the ENTIRE league since Keefe got hired (0.683% in 30 games).

This is with:
- Unstable goaltending from Andersen (NOT sustainable --> Will return to normal)
- Injured Morgan Rielly for the most part (NOT sustainable --> Will return to normal)
- No Mikheyev (Will not return this season sadly)

They've been a top-5 team in the league, yet the fans are losing their minds.

Dubas does need to address backup goalie situation (target Campbell, Georgiev, DeSmith ???) and get rid of Ceci (bring up Lilijegren ?). We'll then continue being a top-5 team in the league lol.

Good post.

I think Keefes Leafs onky have like 5 regulation losses in the last 20+ games. Imagine if he was coaching from the start of the season...

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Dirty Dan

Saturday Night Lupul
May 5, 2010
in ur crease
i think we shouldnt try to resign barrie as a cash strapped team.

might as well trade him at the deadline, he wont make us tough for the playoffs

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
I feel this is getting lost on quite a few posters in this thread...

4th overall since Keefe took over and we’ve had many players out for extended periods of time with injury.

Didn’t he take over on the road? No practice time and no control of line matching? I don’t know if you can give him credit for the first couple of wins when he started, yes he gets the credit in the record books but how have they looked playing his style and his way?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Didn’t he take over on the road? No practice time and no control of line matching? I don’t know if you can give him credit for the first couple of wins when he started, yes he gets the credit in the record books but how have they looked playing his style and his way?

Tonight aside, they LOOK better than they did over the first part of the season. The results also reflect that - ie the power play has become incredibly more lethal than it was prior to the change

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
Tonight aside, they LOOK better than they did over the first part of the season. The results also reflect that - ie the power play has become incredibly more lethal than it was prior to the change

I’m sure they will be fine I see now reason why they would miss the playoffs

JerseyMike34

Dec 29, 2017
Are we too skilled? LMAO...

If we were, we'd be winning hockey games.

We pay too much money for skill we hope to see from these players. Not skill that we have.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->