are the Leafs too skilled

Are the Leafs too skilled for their own good

• Total voters

Jun 27, 2005
Kerfoot-Tavares-Nylander

That should account for something to balance minutes played to line-mates play with. ;)

15 minutes a night playing with JT and Nylander vs playing 20 minutes a night (less 2:30 pk) playing with no one.

Besides we shouldn't punish Brown for SH TOI/g which averages a little over 2:30 a game or 136:29 minutes on the season. We should praise him as OTTAWA's pk% > LEAFS.

Kerfoot has played 165 of his 722 minutes with Tavares, nice try.
You can have the 2 minutes of SH TOI but you lose the 2 SH points then :)
Now you're left with Brown playing the equivalent of 10 more games than Kerfoot.
GF/60 : Brown is 2.7 Kerfoot 3.0.
You shouldn't have tried to compare players by points without looking at context.

QED

lottster14

Feb 10, 2019
No, too flawed.

You couldn't put the leafs in a Battle Of Alberta type situation. They would be unable/unwilling to match the intensity of a game of such caliber. Teams know how to play us, look at Boston of course and even they don't even need to be too rough. (refs were bad last series though).

The playoffs all the way through to the cup is a battle like this. This team is not playoff built. .....

Reactions: Legendary

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Then they sure must have been on a signing rampage in the last month or so.
Not too long ago all they had was Reiley signed.
I heard a few new names on their line up, nobody noteworthy.
Sitting 26th in Goals Against proves that aside from a poor backcheck

Thanks for proving just how much you know.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
No, too flawed.

You couldn't put the leafs in a Battle Of Alberta type situation. They would be unable/unwilling to match the intensity of a game of such caliber. Teams know how to play us, look at Boston of course and even they don't even need to be too rough. (refs were bad last series though).

The playoffs all the way through to the cup is a battle like this. This team is not playoff built. .....

Boston beat us because of skill ...

nORRis8

The NHL, the stupidest League ever.
Sep 16, 2015
RedDeer, Alberta
Thanks for proving just how much you know.

No problem.
Here's more info, but its about the Panthers.

The Panthers beat the leafs even though they did not have their best player playing plus Pysyk a defenceman played forward to fill in a spot and got a hat trick.
So that's nice.;)

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Connor Brown ... AAV $2.1 mil ................. 52 games 10 goals 23 assists 33 points.

vs

Alex Kerfoot .. $3.5 mil AAV ................ 48 games 8 goals 13 assists 21 points
or
Kasperi Kapanen .. $3.2 mil AAV ..... 52 games 10 goals 19 assists 29 points
or
A Johnsson .. $3.4 mil AAV ................. 38 games 7 goals 12 assists 19 points

Sometimes more speed and skill doesn't always mean better or more impact, and having more 2-way players might help.

This is the most disingenuous post on these boards since TWS left

Reactions: stopclickbait

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
No problem.

The Panthers beat the leafs even though they did not have their best player playing plus Pysyk a defenceman played forward to fill in a spot and got a hat trick.
So that's nice.;)

The Panthers also beat the Leafs who did not have their best defensemen or #1G play...

Reactions: TheBigFour

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
No problem.

So that's nice.;)
The Panthers always play better at home, they never a good road team.

Yet they got it done against the Leafs.

This kind of indicates the ceiling for this Maple Leafs team.

:baghead:

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Fact of the matter is the leafs are just to soft and have no grit.
And people who are real leafs fans know Dubass should not be
the General Manager of this team. Having all skill and no grit or toughness
will not win a Stanley Cup. Playoffs are a total different thing
then the league season. After two season with this guy the leafs
should have kept lou. That team (The Islanders) has no real stars but have toughness,
grit and lots of heart. And if the leafs don't make the playoffs you wait
and see Shanahan will fire Dubass.

The Islanders are 1 point ahead (albeit 3 games fewer) and have been on quite the skid at 9-9-3 in their last 21 (0.500 Point%) compared to the Leafs record under Keefe which is 19-8-3 in their last 30 (0.683 point%).

I guess true Leaf fans also dont understand samples or context.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
This is the most disingenuous post on these boards since TWS left
Not sure what is so disingenuous about it.

Connor Brown, the lowest paid, and without real high end talent to play with, out points all the higher paid players on that list.

Those are real numbers that cannot be disputed.

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Not sure what is so disingenuous about it.

Connor Brown, the lowest paid, and without real high end talent to play with, out points all the higher paid players on that list.

Those are real numbers that cannot be disputed.

If you ignore context it cannot be disputed. Medicore players produce on bad teams... It happens every year and it mainly has to do with ice time and opportunity. A team, regardless of how bad, will produce and someone has to be the player producing.

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
Not skilled enough actually. Matthews, Marner, Nylander and Tavares then it just drops off a cliff. Plus no one has heart.

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
No, too flawed.

This is why we desperately need a defender like Manson and a gritty skilled top 6 guy for Tavares and Nylander. More grit in the bottom 6 would be ideal too. Anyone who disagrees must not want us getting past the first round..

Reactions: LeafsRus

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
If you ignore context it cannot be disputed. Medicore players produce on bad teams... It happens every year and it mainly has to do with ice time and opportunity. A team, regardless of how bad, will produce and someone has to be the player producing.
Didn't Connor Brown get 20 goals on a playoff team?

I think too often you guys just make these things up.

Then the points per game the pace of the team, that nonsense.

That is like driving by looking at the rear view mirror.

Everyone knows that saying. If one does not, they he/she has not seen enough of the world.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
This sounds familiar. The Pens often played like the Harlem Globetrotters under Disco Dan. Trying to make the fancy passes, trying be cute with the puck, to get highlight reel goals, but turning the puck over and watching the other team score instead. Skill wasn't the problem, discipline and the inability to just play smart hockey was. I personally don't think you can have too much skill, it's how it's channeled and knowing how to be smart about it. People always would go on about the Pens being "only a few good players and everyone else being crap". You know better than me about roster adjustments that will help. But you can go a long way when you can get everyone to buy in. I see what Torts does with the Blue Jackets, to me he does a great job of getting the players to buy in and doing a lot with what he has.

I rarely comment on other boards but this all sounded just too familiar for me to stay quiet. It was almost like I was reading a Pens thread circa 2014 or so. The long and short of it is that what Toronto has going on can be fixed.

Last edited:
Reactions: LeafsRus

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Leafs problem is they don't have a f***ing backup and haven't had one in 18 months, that's literally IT there is nothing else.

But for 18 months Dubas hasn't made a single attempt to fix that, and no do not bring up Neuvirth he didn't get even a pre season game he doesn't count.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
This sounds familiar. The Pens often played like the Harlem Globetrotters under Disco Dan. Trying to make the fancy passes, trying be cute with the puck, to get highlight reel goals, but turning the puck over and watching the other team score instead. Skill wasn't the problem, discipline and the inability to just play smart hockey was. I personally don't think you can have too much skill, it's how it's channeled and knowing how to be smart about it. People always would go on about the Pens being "only a few good players and everyone else being crap". You know better than me about roster adjustments that will help. But you can go a long way when you can get everyone to buy in. I see what Torts does with the Blue Jackets, to me he does a great job of getting the players to buy in and doing a lot with what he has.

I rarely comment on other boards but this all sounded just too familiar for me to stay quiet. It was almost like I was reading a Pens thread circa 2014 or so. The long and short of it is that what Toronto has going on can be fixed.

Yes it can by the addition of a real backup like Jack Campbell, Casey Desmith, Alex Georigev, or free agents like Greiss, Halak, Crawford, Khudbobbin, Howard Dell,there are a ton of options pick one.

Last edited:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Leafs are 4th in the ENTIRE league since Keefe got hired (0.683% in 30 games).

Let me repeat this:

This is with:
- Unstable goaltending from Andersen (NOT sustainable --> Will return to normal)
- Injured Morgan Rielly for the most part (NOT sustainable --> Will return to normal)
- No Mikheyev (Will not return this season sadly)

They've been a top-5 team in the league, yet the fans are losing their minds.

Dubas does need to address backup goalie situation (target Campbell, Georgiev, DeSmith ???) and get rid of Ceci (bring up Lilijegren ?). We'll then continue being a top-5 team in the league lol.

Reactions: stopclickbait

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

Let me repeat this:

This is with:
- Unstable goaltending from Andersen (NOT sustainable --> Will return to normal)
- Injured Morgan Rielly for the most part (NOT sustainable --> Will return to normal)
- No Mikheyev (Will not return this season sadly)

They've been a top-5 team in the league, yet the fans are losing their minds.

Dubas does need to address backup goalie situation (target Campbell, Georgiev, DeSmith ???) and get rid of Ceci (bring up Lilijegren ?). We'll then continue being a top-5 team in the league lol.

It feels like you posted this as a response to me, only to then agree at the end.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad